cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to receive calls or texts

Duke21
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My phone was working fine until yesterday.   I am able to send SMS, make phone calls, browse the Internet, but cannot receive SMS messages or phone calls - calls go directly to voice mail.   Message app using data works fine.

I have restarted phone, pulled out SIM and reset, cleared data/cache on messaging app, checked Network settings and confirmed it is using Public Mobile.

17 REPLIES 17

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Duke21 

Thanks for giving us your location in case this is a bigger problem than just your account. I'm happy to hear it was an easy fix for you to restore your services. No CSA needed!

@dabr 

Good recognition of that recurring glitch pm seems to have once a year or so....?

@hTideGnow 

A split decision solution. Cause or fix? Fix or cause? Keep an eye out for a more widespread problem located in and around Winnipeg and/or Manitoba?

HI @Duke21   great news.  Yes,putting the sim is a different phone is a useful trick.  That will force some kind of refresh of the account on the PM side, something on the system need to refresh because of  IMEI changes.  

Duke21

It has been resolved.   placed sim in another phone - started receiving sms.   moved sim back to my phone.....still receiving SMS and phone calls.  no changes done to my phone after sim swap

HI @Duke21   I don't think there is any VoLTE in Winnipeg for PM

But you should still get text.  have you opened a ticket with CS agent yet?

Duke21

this has been working for over 2 years.....as well as after change in Winnipeg to VoLTE.   The only change was in November changed plan from 5GB @ 3G speeds to 15GB @ 4G speeds.   and has been working fine since Nov 2022

Duke21

Samsung S9 has been working for over 2 years. 

Duke21

as mentioned in another reply.   after placing sim in another phone, sms started coming in.  removed sim from iphone and placed back into my android.....still powered on.....SMS came in instantly.  Can call out and receive calls as well.

Duke21

put sim into another phone.....sms came flooding in.   moved sim back to my phone and everything is now working.

??????

@Duke21 wrote:

anywhere within Winnipeg so far

Have you ever been able to use all your services @Duke21 .

Are you in the Manitoba area? If so please review below link:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Text-From-PM-About-Changes-To-Manitoba-Pr...

HI @Duke21   Winnipeg.  PM network in Winnipeg is slightly different.

May I know what make and model is your phone?  Want to see if you have the required bands needed.  

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Duke21   Hopefully, this is not a return of a glitch from last year, but to add to @hTideGnow's suggestion, try your SIM in another compatible phone and reboot and back to your phone and reboot.

Duke21

anywhere within Winnipeg so far

Duke21

I don't think I could send SMS or make phone calls if network outage was in affect, plus others on public in Winnipeg are working fine

Duke21

access to another phone is limited.   I will try that when I can.

My phone has been with Public for over 2 years...same phone, same sim, same number

everything has been working for 2 years until yesterday......multifactor sms messages stopped coming in......which is how I noticed it

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Duke21

did you try on another phone?  you have the same problem in different area or you just tested it in one location so far?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Duke21 - some good troubleshooting there, thanks for sharing.

Try:

Perform a Reset of your device's Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, VPN and APN settings, and connected Bluetooth devices that you've used before.

Iphone:

To Reset Network Settings, begin by opening the Settings app. Next, tap General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. and enter your passcode.

Your iPhone will reset network settings and restart itself.

android:

Find and tap Settings > System > Advanced > Reset options > Reset network settings.

Also, please move your SIM into another compatible phone to see if all services work, this will rule out a device issue or SIM/Account one.

How long have you been a customer for? Did you recently port a number from another provider? Just checking if the port completed properly. 

Were you ever able to receive calls on your Public Mobile SIM card, if yes, then the port should have gone through just fine.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

What general area of Canada are you in ?

perhaps a local network outage would explain this issue.

Need Help? Let's chat.