cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to receive calls from specific numbers

Badmana
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a very odd issue. My wife and I (both long time Public Mobile customers) cannot receive calls from 2 long time Fido customers (Plus their Rogers landline). It's been on going for a few months now.

The 2 Fido numbers are on the same account but I'm unsure if they were activated together. Those callers can text our phones but any inbound calls goes to voicemail after hearing the normal outbound call sounds on the cell (it sounds like the call is going through normally). The voice mail will alert us but the call itself is missing. We can call them just fine.

I had a chance to test the phones together. Reset all phones, removed and reset sim cards and airplane mode on/off. The phones work fine for all other callers (including my daughter's phone which is also Public). Text works in all directions.

The 2 callers asked Fido and Fido said the problem was with Public.

So to break things down:

Text works in all directions.

We can call them.

They can't call us (even from their Rogers home line).

They can call other Public Mobile numbers (I only have 1 to test).

Everything worked until October 29th (according to our call log, missed call).

I tried turning off the Spam call blocker but it had no effect.

Any ideas?

24 REPLIES 24

SaGil_LOL

Has this problem ever been solved? And what was the solution?

@Badmana 

Do you have their numbers blocked?

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Badmana wrote:

I have a very odd issue. My wife and I (both long time Public Mobile customers) cannot receive calls from 2 long time Fido customers (Plus their Rogers landline). It's been on going for a few months now.

The 2 Fido numbers are on the same account but I'm unsure if they were activated together. Those callers can text our phones but any inbound calls goes to voicemail after hearing the normal outbound call sounds on the cell (it sounds like the call is going through normally). The voice mail will alert us but the call itself is missing. We can call them just fine.

I had a chance to test the phones together. Reset all phones, removed and reset sim cards and airplane mode on/off. The phones work fine for all other callers (including my daughter's phone which is also Public). Text works in all directions.

The 2 callers asked Fido and Fido said the problem was with Public.

So to break things down:

Text works in all directions.

We can call them.

They can't call us (even from their Rogers home line).

They can call other Public Mobile numbers (I only have 1 to test).

Everything worked until October 29th (according to our call log, missed call).

I tried turning off the Spam call blocker but it had no effect.

Any ideas?

HI @temmyctt   Did the calls from that number ended up in voicemail?   If you have even check putting the SIM n another phone, I would open a ticket with PM CS Agent and have them investigate.  To open a ticket with PM Support. Click on the Bubble or directly at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot. Follow this to get to ticket open screen quicker:

1. type: Contact CS Agent
  2. Click "Contact Us"
  3. Click "Other"
  4. Click "Click here to submit a ticket"
  5. you will then direct to another page to open ticket.

After ticket is submitted, make sure to check your Community Inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically for response from PM's CS Agent

If you have problems submitting a ticket, you can also send a private message to the moderators (but this can take longer):
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

temmyctt

I have reviewed and confirmed that I didn't block the number. Cannot receive phone calls but can receive text messages.    Also, tried removing the sim card from my current cellphone and used another phone to check again, still canot receive phone call but just text messages. 

temmyctt

I have reviewed and confirmed that I didn't block the number. Cannot receive phone calls but can receive text messages.

Also, tried removing the sim card from my current cellphone and used another phone to check again, still canot receive phone call but just text messages.

@temmyctt wrote:

If the person add #31# before my number when calling me then,  yes, I will receive the phone call but it'll be very annoying to always have to do that ... Not sure what the long term solution is.

Yes, if someone can successfully ring your phone with #31# to block their caller ID, that confirms that you have (accidentally) added their number to your blocked callers on your phone. Review your blocked numbers list.

@temmyctt 

#31# is to disable caller id  Sound like you have blocked him on your phone and hence you are not getting his calls when he calls you without hiding his number.

temmyctt

Same problem but started mid December.

Tried everything mentioned in this post but none of them solve the problem.

If the person add #31# before my number when calling me then,  yes, I will receive the phone call but it'll be very annoying to always have to do that ... Not sure what the long term solution is.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech 

is happen last night with my two friend them with rogers and before i did reboot my PM i test to PM call is working but from rogers to PM is not working, when i told them in chat to do this is will working....you believe or not is your choice...

@Badmana 

if is going to voicemail then you need to do

manually selecting network "3G ONLY" or WCDMA only,

for iPhone visit Here link 

or Here link 

for android visit Here link ,

and do again Rebooting your phone..

@Anonymous wrote:

@Badmana 

the issue with network Rogers i have two friend the can't reach me,

just you need to do and your friend will do also the same thing,

I am not 100% sure if it is a Rogers issue.  The calls reach OP's voicemail.  

but again, this is a very tricky one...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Badmana 

the issue with network Rogers i have two friend the can't reach me,

just you need to do and your friend will do also the same thing,

you can try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 2 minute,

4. put it back and power on,

and do Rebooting your phone ,This is quick and simple,to refreshing your network,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

Badmana

Also, try your PM SIM in another phone if possible... do you know anyone else on Public Mobile they could test calling too? If you like private message me and i'll volunteer my number to try.

Thanks for the offer. I tested my daughter's phone and it works (on Public). We probably know other Public users we've just never asked before.

Edit: Thanks for all the help folks. I'm going to try everything and contact customer support.

Badmana

@Badmana Another idea to test is have the fido callers block their caller ID when calling you, which is done by prefixing #31# before your 10 digit number.

This will cause their call to show for you as Blocked, Private, or anonymous, but it will help determine if your phone is somehow blocking purely based on caller ID.

Yeah, good idea. I'll try that.

Badmana

We have tested Chatr and another Fido user (both fine). I'll have to start asking at work to see if I can find anyone else who can't call me.

I used to be a Bell Mobility support agent and my first thought would be to reset the network features of my account. Never heard of something like this though.

I can try Fongo but we seem to get all other calls fine so a forwarded call should work but I'll try that tonight.

Badmana
Re: Unable to receive calls from specific numbers

@Badmana when your 2 Fido friends called you , are you always at the same place (like home)?  did you try in another area when they call you?

if possible,  try to get another spare phone and put your PM SIM card there and see if your 2 Fido friends can reach you on your test phone (using a test phone can eliminate the chance that the forwarding or block was on the device level)

They have tried from home and work so it's not specific to a cell tower.

Using another phone is a good idea. Going to try that tonight.

@Badmana Yes I read that you disabled your spam blocking features, but the test I suggested is for the caller to try intentionally blocking their caller ID.

Also, try your PM SIM in another phone if possible... do you know anyone else on Public Mobile they could test calling too? If you like private message me and i'll volunteer my number to try.

Badmana

Yeah, I checked for any call blocking feature on our S10s. I disabled them and tested, nothing.

I'm not sure if these features are at the network level so I'm leaving it off for a few days to test later.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Badmana Another idea to test is have the fido callers block their caller ID when calling you, which is done by prefixing #31# before your 10 digit number.

This will cause their call to show for you as Blocked, Private, or anonymous, but it will help determine if your phone is somehow blocking purely based on caller ID.

Also try your PM SIM in another phone if possible...

Zyl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think the OP should contact Public Mobile's Customer Agent to have them investigate this issue further.  It looks to me like an issue from the Public Mobile's network.  It's not always that the OP is not able to receive phone calls from their friends' Fido number.  It's only since Oct.  29, 2021 that they are no longer able to receive the calls so UNLESS it's OP who has blocked their phone numbers from that date somewhere on their phone or on their apps and forgot to take them off (sometimes it might be specific apps that the friends are using to call or the apps that OP is using to receive the calls that are blocking them) it must be something that's changed on the Public Mobile's network that we don't know about. 

To contact Customer Agent from Public Mobile, either launch the chat or go to "Private Message" and send a private message to CS_Agent. 

Good luck!   

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Badmana Indeed a very strange issue!
To rule out if all calls from Rogers/Fido networks are not reaching to you, can you find another person you barely know or friend of a friend to call you from their Fido/Rogers line to see if those calls come to you? This will tell if only the 2 people from Fido and their Rogers home line is not able to reach you. This might be because their number is blocked on your end? Are they dialing with +1 in front of your number? I am pretty sure calls can be traced by telecom companies, but not sure who should be tracing in this case and not sure if PM CSA agents have access to do that. 
Just to test, what happens if you get a Fongo app on your phone and sign up with a new number which you can call forward to your PM number? If those 2 people dial your Fongo number, I wonder if your PM number will go through or not. 

@Badmana when your 2 Fido friends called you , are you always at the same place (like home)?  did you try in another area when they call you?

if possible,  try to get another spare phone and put your PM SIM card there and see if your 2 Fido friends can reach you on your test phone (using a test phone can eliminate the chance that the forwarding or block was on the device level)

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Badmana 

Did you check each contact to ensure they weren't inadvertently blocked from your end?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Badmana  - huh, strange.

I would start with deleting those contacts on your phones, and enter them again as new contacts.

Ensure your phones are updated with latest software...was there an update done around this time when these calls were affected?

Also, try to perform a Reset of your device's Network Settings.

iphone:

To Reset Network Settings, begin by opening the Settings app. Next, tap General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. and enter your passcode.

Your iPhone will reset network settings and restart itself.

android:

Find and tap Settings > System > Advanced > Reset options > Reset network settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.

Need Help? Let's chat.