cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA roaming

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is there any monthly plan of USA roaming calling and data .. like for truck drivers.. thanks 

21 REPLIES 21

@Korth wrote:

Public Mobile's $50 $60 $70 plans include "Unlimited Canada & USA Talk".

Does this mean calls from anywhere in Canada & USA to anywhere in Canada & USA?

No. None of those include roaming. You can only use them in Canada unless you buy a U.S. roaming add-on. There was a different $60 plan that included roaming but you can't get that any more.

Public Mobile's $50 $60 $70 plans include "Unlimited Canada & USA Talk".

Does this mean calls from anywhere in Canada & USA to anywhere in Canada & USA?

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

With these numbers, I'd rather get 'data only' eSim (multiple providers offer it) and use voip.ms (or some other voip provider) for calling/texting when needed.  Depending on data usage, that could be fairly cheap option. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@93 

Ideally having a dual SIM phone would be better but not necessary. Depending on how much data you think you would use one of the plans from mint mobile would suit your needs. They offer 90 day plans starting at US$15/4gb(+) per month up to US$30/35gb(+unlimited throttled data) that includes unlimited calling/texting in the US and to Canada+Mexico and very reasonable roaming rates in those 2 countries.($0.06/min, $0.02/text, $0.06mb)

Mint mobile sim cards can be ordered from B&H photo and shipped to Canadian addresses. Or you can pick one up once you are stateside.

https://www.mintmobile.com/plans/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1468558-REG/mint_mobile_smn100012_3_month_prepaid_sim_card.ht...

Here are the options for your pm service while traveling in the US :

Keep in mind you will recieve incoming pm SMS texts without a US roaming add on.

Spoiler
  1. You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
  2. If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
  3. Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. Moderator/CSA contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually.
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
  5. If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost.
  6. Switching to the $15 plan with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward your pm number to your fongo number  before you leave Canada.. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your fongo number while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card) You can access your fongo voicemail for all voicemail messages.

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account. Stay--Safe!

If you were thinking about a dual sim phone here are two great deals on dual sim phones. The pixel 3xl has a nano sim and an e-sim for $249+gst(factory sealed new) and the samsung A32 is dual sim stand by for $299+gst (open box) at swiftronics.

https://swiftronics.ca/collections/smartphones/products/google-pixel-3-xl-64gb-ga01296-us-just-black...

https://swiftronics.ca/collections/smartphones/products/open-box-samsung-galaxy-a32-4gb-ram-128gb-du...

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@hTideGnow wrote:

@HALIMACS wrote:

@93 

Rogers has an unlimited Canada & US plan for about $110/month.

Bell has an unlimited Canada & US plan for about $100/month

TELUS has an unlimited Canada & US plan for about $100/month

Hi @HALIMACS , thanks for the info.   With these numbers,  I would rather go with local US SIMs

OUCH! With these prices I would definitely use TextNow or just say in Canada...

As might I, @hTideGnow , but only if I was spending about 1/2 the time there.   But for the odd trip, roaming may be better choice.

The OP has to do their own figuring on this one...

@HALIMACS wrote:

@93 

Hi @HALIMACS , thanks for the info.   With these numbers,  I would rather go with local US SIMs

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@93 

All of the above plans are discounted (by a few dollars) for each add'l line added (up to about 4 lines)

Still MUCH better off to keep PM plan and pay for Roaming when needed.   

Exactly dear

@Anonymous wrote:

A popular one around here seems to be TextNow. They also offer a US SIM service.

@Anonymous   To help others, I am suggesting Talkatone as well  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@93 : Yeah it depends on your needs. There's wifi everywhere of course. Another option is any of the voip apps that do talk and text. A popular one around here seems to be TextNow. They also offer a US SIM service.

Thanks dear .. will try that 

Yeah dear .. I know,,,  but are very expensive with almost no data.. thanks really appreciate 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@93 wrote:

Is there any monthly plan of USA roaming calling and data .. like for truck drivers.. thanks 

No. Only these add-ons are available for US:

US Roaming for 10 day packages

Unlimited U.S. Talk, Text and 250MB Data Bundle = $20

Unlimited U.S. Talk and Text Bundle = $15

Unlimited U.S. Talk Only = $8

Unlimited U.S. Text Only = $8

U.S. Data Only for 10 day packages

250MB = $10

500MB = $15

1GB = $20

@93 wrote:

Oh… it means I have to quit public mobile and opt for some other operators 

HI @93   Who offers plans include US roaming data and roaming minutes?

VIP_Tech

Hi @93 

my advice purchase it a SIM card for local U.S.
and keep PM service in canada.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@VIP_Tech wrote:

Hi @93 

not have plan include USA roaming,
you need to purchase U.S. Roaming for 10 day package.

@93 : Not sure what the above means but no, nothing longer than 10 days. Lots of really good local service providers down there though starting in the low single-digits per month.

@93 wrote:

@93  Honest, most providers don't have US roaming plan unless for very $$ plans, maybe..  

Regular roaming option are offer but very expensive. , I think.

VIP_Tech

Hi @93 

not have plan include USA roaming,
you need to purchase U.S. Roaming for 10 day package.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@93   Sorry, no monthly plan with US roaming for PM.

They offered that very briefly before and no longer offering that.. and I don't see them will offer this again.

If you are frequent US traveler, get  US local data.. Not a very convenient way as you need to swap SIM , but it is cheaper and offer you more data.

Together with a VoIP app like TextNow, Talkatone for free calls to US/Canada, it is not bad

Need Help? Let's chat.