cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming

numberport
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is US roaming unlimited talk and text if I am adding that roaming package onto the Public Mobile $15, 100 outgoing minutes plan? Or am I limited to 100 outgoing minutes when roaming in the US?

10 REPLIES 10

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Nezgar @dust2dust 

I think pm's roaming agreement with AT&T expired or is otherwise in limbo until VoLTE is implemented and a decision will be made at that time on whether to renew their agreement? This is speculation of course and I don't have the history of the origins of pm offering U S roaming add ons.

But thru my research I learned at the time of the 3G shutdown in the US T-Mobile's 3G network coverage was a pitiful 21% of the country and one of the reasons they maintained their 2G network for customers to fall back on if they did not have a 4G capable device. Once AT&T decommissioned their 3G network their main purpose for roaming in the US was eliminated.

With At&T's 4G LTE network coverage only 6% more nationwide than T-Mobile's (68% vs 62%) and T-Mobile able to offer a viable network for voice services while awaiting telus foot shuffling on VOLTE it makes sense to shelve AT&T as a roaming partner. If you are only paying for one roaming partner offering US Roaming add ons that are good for 50% more days (15 days from 10 days) at the same price and larger data buckets for nominal price increases makes a lot of sense now.

When you look at the network coverage maps of the 3 major networks in the US (Verizon 71%, AT&T 68% and T-Mobile 62%) they all offer fairly comprehensive coverage in the east and good coverage in population dense areas in the west. None of them offer particularly good coverage in rural areas especially evident in the western states with some states very underserved.

As far as recommending pm customers use a "local" Sim card whether it's from one of the 3 major network operators or one of the many MVNO's operating in the US they cannot offer better coverage than pm 's roaming add ons only better coverage of voice services via VoLTE and in some cases better pricing. The issue of connectivity in rural or low population density areas of the US will remain. The only real exception would be Alaska where customers are better served getting a CGI  Sim card as they offer the best coverage in that state compared to any other provider.

Thanks for the clarification @dust2dust - interesting that AT&T doesn't work anymore... wonder if they are basically blocking anything that is not VoLTE capable, including roaming. I guess I'll have my own opportunity to test in few months too. Also got a friend to bring back some lyca mobile sims to have on hand as well.

maybe @J_PM  can clarify if AT&T is still the official roaming partner?? There are umours tha roaming on AT&T will no 

longer work.  Thanks @dust2dust as our field tester and he seems comfirmed that 

@Nezgar- hairbag1 and I have tried connecting to everything and AT&T simply will not connect. Solid cell, in solid coverage...nada. (adding - with AT&T showing in the scanning list) Verizon is only mentioned because an agent once told a customer to use it. We all thought nuh uh. We've tried. Nope. The only thing that connects at all is T-Mobile.

@hairbag1 wrote:

Once you arrive in US; make sure to manually select T-Mobile as your preferred network as AT&T or Verizon don't work any longer.

... for calling. AT&T should still be fine for SMS/MMS/Data. Did Verizon LTE ever work for roaming?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@numberport 

good question...you get unlimited text and talk with those 15 Day US Roaming add-ons.

Once you arrive in US; make sure to manually select T-Mobile as your preferred network as AT&T or Verizon don't work any longer.

MY experience is that talk will work in larger centers but decreases in reliability once you get to out-lying rural areas.

Text should be fine though.

In conclusion, (for talk) adjust your expectations....downward !

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

US add-ons are unlimited use for duration of add-on. Your 100 outgoing minutes are valid in Canada only.

But consider this so you are not disappointed later:

According to Public Mobile:

PM will have T-mobile 2G network for US talk. Try to manually connect to T-mobile.

Roaming is for Data only. Voice and SMS text will still work.

Data will work on LTE, but will switch over to 2G to make a call.

However, the quality of service will vary depending on the different coverage areas when roaming in the USA.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@numberport @Also note that roaming addons begin as soon as there purchased so be sure to only purchase it right before you head there 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @numberport no

when you got Roaming Talk Text, you will get unlimited calling to US/Canada when you are in US

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Unlimited.

Need Help? Let's chat.