cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming with a 3G plan

effingstupid
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am going to the US next week and want to buy a 3GB $30 add-on roaming bundle.  However my plan is 3G and the Public Mobile Roaming page says that 3G is no longer supported in the US.  What I want to know is whether my iPhone 12 will work at all?  I have read a lot of community posts that don't answer that question.  I don't care if I don't get 4G data speeds, I just want to make sure I can phone, text and use data.  (On my iPhone, Roaming is "on" and Voice & Data are set to "LTE")

thanks, Will A

8 REPLIES 8

@Randie   Which add on did you have?

Randie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We just got back from the US last week and we could not text or call or use any data AT ALL unless we went to a physical business that offered wifi. Since we were travelling with other parties this was very inconvenient and caused a lot of wasted time on our vacation. We followed Public Mobile Instructions (T-Mobile) and even went into a cell phone company in the US for help and they could not connect us with ANY carrier.  The other parties we were travelling with had full service, but they were not using Public Mobile.  Public Mobile  advised us that they cannot guarantee any service with another carrier in the US (so not sure why they make you pay for an add on).  My wife received a refund and I am in the process of doing the same, however customer service has been ignoring me for 2 days now.  

@effingstupid And yes, the newer 4G plans are better value but I have a cheap 3G plan and a bunch of free add-ons that I would lose if I switched

You would not lose add ons if switching from the $25 1GB at 3G speed to the $19 1GB plan at 4G speed with the exception of this year's gifted data for the switch to points if you qualified for that.  If you switch to a higher value plan than what you have you even keep that.  If you're on the $15 plan then there's nothing lower to switch to, however.  

effingstupid

Well, what do you know! thanks!  (added to my growing list of "what was Apple thinking there??")

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@effingstupid When you're on wifi it will show wifi signal strength instead of the service you're connected to. If Wi-Fi is off it should appear in the top right corner. If not, swipe down in the top right corner to open the Control Center for more detail.

effingstupid

Thank you Rastin.  I am new to iPhone and can't find the info about which service I am actually using (it was easy on all the Androids I owned). The icon at the top of the phone just shows the signal strength bars.  And yes, the newer 4G plans are better value but I have a cheap 3G plan and a bunch of free add-ons that I would lose if I switched

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@effingstupid The 3G plan actually allows you to use 4G or even 5G network just at a reduced speed of 3Mbps

and since you have an iPhone, assuming it is an 8 or above, you would be able to use VoLTE for voice.  SO, you will be all good with Voice/text/data in US.  Enjoy your trip

Rastin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Well first I think that the 3g plan only limits you data to 3g speed. You should see be able to use 4 and 5g with a iPhone 12. Just look at the top of your phone and it show what you are on be it 3g lte 4g 5g. Also if on the 3g 25$ plan you should change it to 1gig unlimited talk and text  for 19$ and save some money. You can only see this plan in the app.

Need Help? Let's chat.