cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US phone plan

latebuyer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If i am in the us and have the us phone plan can i receive incoming calls from canada or can i only make outgoing calls to us numbers?

18 REPLIES 18

@Cindi1   Where did you check it?  It's shown on Public Mobile's VoLTE list so it should have it, but it won't necessarily have a toggle for it.  You can test by making a phone call with wifi turned off and data turned on.  Does it stay on LTE or drop to 3G?  AVK2 is presumably the operating system requirement for the phone.

Cindi1

What is AVK2 or above? I have S23.

@Cindi1 Data and SMS will work fine in the US. It's just phone calls that require VoLTE.

Cindi1

I just checked my phone out. I have a Samsung S23. Does not have VoLTE. So what does that mean? I can't use my subscriptions data here either? I don't want to call anyone. I just need the data.

Cindi1

I just checked my phone out. I have a Samsung S23. Does not have VoLTE. So what does that mean? I can't use my subscriptions data here either? I don't want to call anyone. I just need the data. 

Cindi1

Thank you very much

Cindi1

I don't think I'll be calling anyone. But will be using my data for FaceTime/FB messenger calls. I'll be sure to switch my phone to 4G. 

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Make sure to go into the network settings on your phone and change your Preferred Network to 4G instead of 5G. This is because AT&T 5G doesn't work, but your phone may still connect to it. Also make sure Data Roaming is turn on.

What type of phone do you have? It needs to be on Public Mobile's VoLTE whitelist to be able to make phone calls in the US:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

Aside from that, yes your plan covers you without any additional charges.

@Cindi1 wrote:

So I won't be charged if I cross the border and use my phone? That's what I need to know

You WILL NOT be charged for using your phone for calls, texts and data while in US.

added...in settings, enabled Data Roaming and just leave it on. Also, for best talkability when in US, make sure you have a cellphone that has VoLTE enabled and is on the PM whitelist.

To check if your device is VoLTE-Roaming enabled, please check this list:

• Apple iPhone 8 & above (iOS 16 & above)
  • Google Pixel 4/4XL/4a/4a 5G (TP1A.220624.014 & above)
  • Google Pixel 5 (TP1A.220624.014 & above)
  • Google Pixel 6a (TP1A.220624.021.A1 & above)
  • Google Pixel 6/6 Pro (TP1A.220624.021 & above)
  • Google Pixel 7/7 Pro (TD1A.220804.009.A2 & above)
  • Samsung S23 (AVK2 & above)
  • Samsung S22/S22+/S22 Ultra (CWAI & above)
  • Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 & Fold4 (CWAC & above)
  • Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3 5G & Fold3 5G (FWB1 & above)
  • Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5G (HWB1 & above)
  • Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G (JWB5 & above)
  • Samsung Note20 5G/Ultra 5G (HWB3& above)
  • Samsung A53 5G (CWB4 & above)
  • Samsung S21 FE 5G (EWB3 & above)
  • Motorola edge 2022 (S2ST32.71-71 & above)
  • Motorola Moto g 5G (S2SA32.1-54 & above)
  • Motorola Moto g power (2022) (S3RQ32.20-42-10 & above)
  • Motorola Moto g pure (S3RH32.20-42-10 & above)
  • Motorola Moto g stylus 5G (2022) (S2SD32.21-85-3 & above)
  • TCL 303 (V9Q1K & above)
  • TCL 30 XE 5G (DM9M & above)
  • TCL 20s (9DI0 & above)
  • TCL 30 5G (7FCU & above)
  • Sonim XP10 Rugged Phone (10.0.0-01-12.0.0-12.25.10 & above)
  • ZTA Blade A7P (Z6252CAV1.0.0B15 & above)

Cindi1

So I won't be charged if I cross the border and use my phone? That's what I need to know

@latebuyer wrote:

Sorry what i forgot to make sure of is the person calling from canada won’t be charged.

Nope..not unless he lives in a different area code then you AND he has no LD plan....otherwise no costs to anyone.

@latebuyer 

no worries, the one calling you won't got charged, too

latebuyer

Sorry what i forgot to make sure of is the person calling from canada won’t be charged.

@Cindi1  No there's no extra charge although you might get an automatic text message about add ons when you cross the border, just ignore it.  

Cindi1

Sorry. So will I get charged roaming when I cross the border tomorrow with my $39 60gb can & us plan? 

Cindi1

So if I have a CAN-US plan in not going to get charged roaming when I travel to the states tomorrow? Or do I have to purchase something else? I currently pay $39 for 60gb can & us. 

latebuyer

Thank you. I’m having a phone dr. apt so need it. I have phoned from this location before and it works.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@latebuyer 

if you have the Canada-US plan

1. you can receive incoming calls from Canada as well as US

2. you can make outgoing calls to US as well as to Canada

Need Help? Let's chat.