cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US add on

Earl2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently purchased 1000 US minutes. I’m in the US , when I try to use my phone here i

the voice message I get is telling me that my plan does not support , ?? I already put an add on

28 REPLIES 28

I try very hard to post correct relevant useful information when answering questions. I'm always open to and grateful for corrections.

Opinions are a whole other matter. 🙂

Adding - @LitlLdy 

@dust2dust wrote:

@LitlLdy- 611 and the toll free version will work without an add-on. You can also receive texts without an add-on. Of course as long as you're in a coverage area of the roaming partners (currently only T-Mobile) and your phone can do 2G or volte has been enabled.

Awesome, thank you! I didn’t know that not that I thought you’d post incorrect information but wanted to make sure I understood correctly. 🙂

@LitlLdy- 611 and the toll free version will work without an add-on. You can also receive texts without an add-on. Of course as long as you're in a coverage area of the roaming partners (currently only T-Mobile) and your phone can do 2G or volte has been enabled.

@dust2dust wrote:

Do you know yet whether you have volte working for your phone with Public?

If not then be aware that for talk your phone will need to be able to drop down to 2G or you might even need to manually set it to 2G.

As for using 611 to buy add-ons, you'll need your 4 digit account pin. But you can also buy in the account.

Then after that if you want to re-buy the same add-on then you need to wait for it to fully drop off your add-ons list. Click the little spinner refresh icon under the Shop Add-ons button.

You could choose to buy the other bundle when the day counter reaches 0/15. Not 1/15.

Or ask support to re-buy add-ons whenever.

@dust2dust , does dialling *611 work in US without working services yet? I’ve been wondering!

@Earl2 , please let us know how it goes with your adding US Roaming add-ons & using it.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Do you know yet whether you have volte working for your phone with Public?

If not then be aware that for talk your phone will need to be able to drop down to 2G or you might even need to manually set it to 2G.

As for using 611 to buy add-ons, you'll need your 4 digit account pin. But you can also buy in the account.

Then after that if you want to re-buy the same add-on then you need to wait for it to fully drop off your add-ons list. Click the little spinner refresh icon under the Shop Add-ons button.

You could choose to buy the other bundle when the day counter reaches 0/15. Not 1/15.

Or ask support to re-buy add-ons whenever.

Earl2

Thank you , I’d rather keep my money with my local carrier.

Earl2

I’m sorry if I offended anyone in the community , I had no idea where to put in a ticket . Public mobile has been very good. I will not be leaving public mobile, my issue was mainly on me for not understanding. I hope my apology is sufficient.

@LitlLdy 

I've waited longer than 10 minutes for an intial reply on actual live chats... And that was just to receive the "Hi, my name is ... How can I help you?"

@Earl2 wrote:

Thank you so much to both of you , sometimes my frustration gets the best of me. Appreciate your help. It was a misunderstanding on my part. Again thanks !

@Earl2 , awww you’re welcome. I have been been there with the frustration & disappointment at times to here. Thank goodness others have been patient with me! 🤣

Edit: To add to this written words can definitely be easily misunderstood! I’ve done that a few times myself!

@wetcoaster wrote:

@LitlLdy 

Instant gratification?

Even if the community members hadn't gotten back to the OP as fast as they did, the fact that they think 8 minutes is "not getting a reply" and prompted them to threaten to go somewhere else, sorry that speaks volumes.

@Earl2 

- There is no live chat at Public Mobile.

- This is a community made up from customers like you. We try to help as accurate and fast as we can, but we are volunteering our time.

- If you need help with an issue that requires account access you need to contact the CSA = Public Mobile employees by opening a ticket via chatbot.

@wetcoaster , exactly! I thought getting a response back within 2-3 minutes when submitting a post for help was pretty fast! Even submitting a ticket to a CSA takes a lot longer than that! I understand the Op is upset about making the mistake of purchasing the wrong add-on but it’s not our fault. Even though we are Customers here we do try to help when we are able to but we don’t work for Public Mobile! 

@Earl2  

no worry, enjoy your trip

if you are in US long, consider buying local prepaid data sim 

@LitlLdy 

Instant gratification?

Even if the community members hadn't gotten back to the OP as fast as they did, the fact that they think 8 minutes is "not getting a reply" and prompted them to threaten to go somewhere else, sorry that speaks volumes.

@Earl2 

- There is no live chat at Public Mobile.

- This is a community made up from customers like you. We try to help as accurate and fast as we can, but we are volunteering our time.

- If you need help with an issue that requires account access you need to contact the CSA = Public Mobile employees by opening a ticket via chatbot.

Earl2

Thank you so much to both of you , sometimes my frustration gets the best of me. Appreciate your help. It was a misunderstanding on my part. Again thanks !

@softech wrote:

@LitlLdy honest this one should be merged back

@softech , I agree! No need for 2 post back to back on same issue!

@LitlLdy honest this one should be merged back

@softech wrote:

@LitlLdy you missed the sequence of events

OP stated first post, we answered , then OP stated this 2nd post. 

So, ai replied

Iguess OP finally saw our replies (or because I redirected him back) and he then jumped back to his first post and start replying there 

@softech , I read that post. I also replied on it. Thats why I was wondering what I was missing where Op thought no one was trying to help!

Edit: The 1st reply left for Op on other post was only within 3 minutes of Ops post being submitted so I think that was pretty quick response back helping!

@LitlLdy you missed the sequence of events

OP stated first post, we answered , then OP stated this 2nd post. 

So, i replied above 

I guess OP finally saw our replies (or because I redirected him back) and he then jumped back to his first post and start replying there 

@softech wrote:

@Earl2 you got your answer .. check your earlier thread 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-add-on/td-p/968377

^^^ This.

Also... it's something like ten minutes between you posted your first post and this one?

If it's not the answer you wanted to hear... I assure you that all Canadian carriers will, one way or another, charge you extra for roaming over calls from Canada. A VoIP app, as suggested by softech is a good choice if you have good access to WiFi.

I looked into Public Mobile's direct competitors a couple of weeks ago... Lucky doesn't offer roaming at all. ChatR offers pay-per-use roaming in many countries, exept... the US due to the shut down of 3G there and ChatR not offering VoLTE (at this point).

So you really would need to go to a tier 2 or one of the big 3 (tier 1) provider with the according price tag for the privilege...

@softech wrote:

@Earl2 you got your answer .. check your earlier thread 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-add-on/td-p/968377

@softech , I looked at that post & I see that Op was helped! What am I missing?

@Earl2 , @wetcoaster answered that in the very 1st message here!

Edit: and @softech is also trying to help you. I hope it works for you. I know it’s frustrating when you purchase the wrong add-on by mistake. Sorry 😕

@Earl2 yes, you can buy US roaming via My Account or *611 

your roaming add-on choices 

• Bundle - US Roaming - Talk, Text and 3GB Data (15 days)- $30 (25 Reward points)
  • Bundle - US Roaming - Talk and Text (15 days) - $15 (10 Reward points)
  • Data - US Roaming - 250 MB Data (15 days) - $10.00 (5 Reward points) 
  • Data - US Roaming - 1GB Data (15 days) - $20.00 (15 Reward points) 
  • Data - US Roaming - 3GB Data (15 days) - $25.00 (20 Reward points) 

Earl2

I’m in the US now , can I get an add on to use while I’m here 

@Earl2 TextNow allows you to call US and Canada for free. So, try it

Earl2

I want to call in the US only

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Earl2 

if you just need to make calls back to Canada.  Download VoIP app TextNow and you can make and receive calls for free using the app on Wi

Earl2

I’m seriously considering canceling public mobile and going with another carrier because I cannot get an answer to my question

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

If you are in the US you will need an active US roaming add-on.

The 1000 minutes are for calls to the US while you are in Canada.

Need Help? Let's chat.