cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming

Wattsupp
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So i have a Can/US phone plan subscription. Basically unlimited calling in North America. I read somewhere with this plan i didn't need US Roaming seperate when travelling in the US. That my plan would be the same for phone and data in either countty. I entered the US yesterday and now phone doesn't work but messaging does. It says i have connected to AT&T. No one can call me and voicemail doesn t even work?tjinking about adding US Roaming eben if it said i don't need it. Or just go buy a $30 burnet phone for now.

4 REPLIES 4

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Wattsupp   If your phone is non-VoLTE you should still have data and text (even if voice calls are a problem unless you can connect to T-Mobile's 2G).  Assuming data works then instead of a $30 burner phone you could download a free voip app for voice calls, such as Fongo or TextNow.  Edited to add the link to PM's VoLTE approved list here https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Wattsupp , what phone are you using?  It appears it is not on the Public Mobile VoLTE whitelist which means you will not be able to call while in the US.  While T-Mobile is officially shutting down the entire 2G network by September 1, they have been slowly shuttering parts of the network over time.  If you are lucky enough, you might be able to connect to T-Mobile and have 2G service to make a call.  

Edit:  I found this network map, not sure how accurate it is still showing tiny bits of green for 3G coverage which is definitely not available anywhere in the US.  The 2G coverage is not available in large areas.  

https://coverage.lart2150.com/vector/#b=GSM&m=2024-08-09&m2=2024-08-09&b2=UMTS&lat=40.41349604970195...

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @Wattsupp 

I've been on that same plan. And you are correct, you do not need to purchase a US addon to use in the US. 

This is what I did. Because I use an iPhone (make sure your phone is VoLTE compatible) went into my network settings and turned off Automatic. Then I picked T-Mobile as I found that to be very reliable. Then when I exited out of that screen, I turned on data roaming and then reboot the phone. Once it was rebooted, I was up and running. Hope this helps.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Wattsupp 

Critical part to US roaming depends on T-Mobile/AT&T/Verizon coverage and whether you can connect successfully onto either network.

If the phone is not connecting to T-Mobile/AT&T/Verison, change the Network Connection from Automatic to Manual and select and test both T-Mobile and AT&T and see which one you can connect.

If your issue is with data, make sure your Roaming Mobile data is enabled and you have disabled your mobile data limiter.  Also change your network mode to 4G (and don't try 5G until you can connect and works on 4G)

If your issue is with voice, make sure VoLTE is enabled on the device setting.  And if it does not work, try to change the Network to T-Mobile ONLY, and change  Preferred Network Type or Network Mode to 2G and see if the calls go through.
Also, you can download VoIP app TextNow as a workaround to make calls and text if you have Wifi or if your roaming has data component and data is working

Need Help? Let's chat.