Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming - Incoming Call Works, everything else doesnt

htmai
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here, using an iPhone and currently in the US:

- Roaming is enabled

- Automatic network selection wasn't working so I manually chose: AT&T (no service), then chose T-Mobile (4 bars of service)

- Incoming calls work (people can call me)

- I cannot make outgoing calls, cannot send texts, cannot receive texts

Anyone know what in the world is going on? Very disappointed since I paid for the 10 days roaming unlimited talk and text package and it is not working. 

19 REPLIES 19

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

I was thinking more about the OP being unable to connect to at&t at all. Combined with some possible setting issues and that they indicated they were in transit could affect service differently as you move thru the mountains.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account in your private messages only include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

@darlicious not sure if we can blame the decommission of 3G in this case.  This seems to be an interesting case.   OP can receive calls, so 3G is there.   And usually outgoing call should work easier than incoming as the decice has more time to search for the 3G.. but he has incoming and cannot make outgoing calls

Then OP cannot send and receive text,  which works on LTE network.   But, for this, OP might be using iMessage and he wasn't aware of.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@htmai 

It seems you have experienced service issues in Washington state due to the decommissioning of the 3G network with at&t already actively shutting down their network. Given the mountainous terrain you will likely find your service more adversely affected by this than in states that topography plays less of an impediment to network signal strength. See below....

Please note currently due to the decommissioning of the 3G network in the US by pm's roaming partners at&t has already begun this process but as of March 3rd 2022 still has some areas that are still served by the 3G network. T-Mobile has an end date of July 1st 2022. This will affect the ability of pm customers to send and receive voice calls and emergency service such as 911 while in the US and using pm's US roaming add ons. The current work around is to download a voip app such as textnow or fongo for use while on wifi or mobile data for voice calls when in areas no longer served by the 3G network which will eventually include all areas served by at&t and T-Mobile.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account in your private messages only include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@htmai 

iMessages require wifi/data plan in both Canada/USA but should revert to SMS without data provided both phones have "Send as SMS" activated AND have "Send & Receive" set to use the cell phone number.

Double check your settings again to heed the above advice from @Luddite .

htmai

Thank you for the assistance everyone. Plan currently seems to be working. Nothing I did changed, but it seems that moving to a different area of Washington state allowed the plan to work in full

@htmai wrote:

For iMessage I have tried having others send me SMS texts, and I am not receiving those either.

@htmai  iMessage requires data or Wifi, so, it won't work since you don't have data on your roaming

I wonder if you can go to a T-Mobile store and seek help, afterall, you have trouble with their network.  Yes, they are more interested in making sales, but you might bump into good person and like to take on the challenge for in-depth investigation.

@dabr   with Talk and Text, they don't have a "limit" (I meant limit like 100 minutes only or so..), they don't appear in  My Data & Add-ons box , that's why we like to ask them to check the  Plan Details page

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@htmai 

Did you recieved the text from pm via 611 telling you that a US Roaming add on is required for service once you entered the US and connected to a US cell tower?

dabr: The roaming data shows on the overview page. The roaming talk and text ones show on plan details. Possibly also data just because.

htmai

I see it under plan > My-Add Ons , and the amount has been deducted in my transaction history.

htmai

I have tried rebooting my phone as well then re-checking to make sure I have T-mobile manually selected.

Same situation, I can receive incoming calls but cannot make outgoing calls / send text messages.

For iMessage I have tried having others send me SMS texts, and I am not receiving those either.

@dust2dust    A question as I've never bought roaming add-ons.  Do these add-ons appear on the overview page (My Data/Add-ons) or only under Plan Details?  

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@htmai     If none of the other suggestions have worked try powering off the phone, remove the SIM and after couple of minutes reinsert SIM and reboot the phone. 

HI @BKNS27   I don't think this is April 1 related.  I think it was only about Autopay and renewal 

Also, OP is able to make calls, so, the roaming is there and I don't think there is the problem with forgotten to buy the roaming after loading of fund

Hi @htmai  for now before issue is resolved, download VoIP app TextNow and ask your friend to call and text the number you got from Textnow.  It works wherever there is Wifi.  Like a real phone except you use TextNow to answer the calls and texts

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@htmai 

It sounds like the PM April 1 outage.

First check in your account to see if the USA Roaming Add-on is shown in your account. (Add-on is a 2 step process. 1. add the funds in your account. 2. Make the Add-on purchase).

If the Add-on in your account, power off your phone slide out the SIM tray and wait 2 minutes then slide the SIM tray back then power on your phone.

If all fails, contact a CS_Agent by private messaging on top of this Community page to reset your SIM.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Do you show any other roaming add-ons in your plan details page (not overview)?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@htmai  You are right to use T-Mobile

You try reboot the phone ?

You said you cannot you outgoing calls, what error you are getting?  You only hear busy tone?  or you actually get a recording telling you the error code?

You tried your phone in one particular location? or you moved around to another part of the town and same issue?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@htmai 

Try rebooting your phone. Toggle Airplane mode on/off. Then.... again make sure you have T-Mobile manually selected. Try again to both send a text and make a call.

Edit:

Ensure you are not using iMessage as that requires data. Go to your settings and turn iMessage off and enable SMS only.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

That's odd you should be able to receive texts even if you don't have a PM roaming plan. Usually it is the other things that aren't working if either the add on isn't active or if there is an issue with it. What does your account show for this add on, does it show your balance being deducted and this transaction in your history?

Need Help? Let's chat.