cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Plan Not Working

DJrbw
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Let me preface this by saying I've read a bunch of similar Q and As on this topic but nothing I've read so far has helped; your suggestions are appreciated.  

I'm currently in the US. I purchased a 15 day data/phone/text plan about 5 hours ago. When I look at my account online I can confirm it was purchased. It even shows on my phone that it's roaming through AT&T. However, when I make a call to Canada, I get a message that says "sorry, your call can not be completed since you've used all available minutes". Canadians also get the same message when they call me. Additionally, data is not working. 

My phone plan was upgraded yesterday from the black Friday sale Public Mobile had, to get extra data. I'm not sure if that helps spark some ideas or reasons, but I do appreciate your help.  What's really throwing me is that It shows that I am connected to AT&T and has the little R next to the bars in the top.

6 REPLIES 6

DJrbw

Shoot, I did not know that. I know the plan ran out yesterday, I'm just not sure if it was at the start or the end of the day... if it was the end, then it wouldn't have been 24 hours. Do you know if the plan will eventually work, or do I need to purchase another plan?

If it turns out that I do have to purchase another plan, do I have to wait until the current plan (that isn't working) is up in 15 days?

Thank you.

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@hairbag1 wrote:

@DJrbw 

.you need to wait for 24 hours after original roaming add-on has expired (360 hours + 24 hours).

I thought someone posted that they couldn't buy another roaming package and the answer that there had to be a 24 hour gap (actually enforced by PM). I might be wrong, haven't done it in several years though a friend is likely to be looking to me for help in a couple of weeks. 😞

I also recall that the restriction was only on the SAME roaming package, but you could buy a different one? Does that make sense? $40 instead of $30 if you want talk&text&data but no 24-hour gap. Or do I have that wrong and it wouldn't work?

DJrbw

Hey guys, thanks for responding; I have a Galaxy S23.

Data roaming is on. 

It was set to connect automatically, I tried manually connecting to both AT&T and TMobile, neither worked (same message about minutes). What was interesting though, while I was just playing around with manually switching carriers, I got a "welcome to the US, click here to purchase a roaming package" text message.

I've been in the US for a couple weeks now. I had purchased a roaming package at home in Canada, it just ran out. I was simply trying to purchase another 15 package. None of the settings have changed, and I'm in the same location. The only thing different is the upgraded data plan. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@DJrbw 

I'm wondering if this isn't a second purchase of the US roaming add-on...did your old one expire and you bought it again ? I ask because it's a known glitch ...you need to wait for 24 hours after original roaming add-on has expired (360 hours + 24 hours).

ottawa

Note that data is not working, so I'm thinking it's not just a VoLTE issue.

In other threads I've seen suggestions to manually choose 4G/LTE not 5G or auto, and to try TMo if AT&T not working (and v/v).

Kristowhy

@DJrbw what phone model are you using and have you enabled roaming data on the device and restarted it?

Need Help? Let's chat.