cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US-Canada Data Plan - Didn't work in US

CdninCalg
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there!

I bought one of the Canada/US monthly plans, and went to the US for the first time under it this weekend. It worked maybe 10-20% of the time, despite having 3-5 bars of 5G/LTE coverage all of the time. Put me in a bind quite a few times when I needed to call an uber. Cellular worked though.

Any suggestions for my next trip in 2 weeks?

5 REPLIES 5

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

AT&T 5G doesn't work, so if you set your phone to 4G preferred you should be good to go.

funpig1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@CdninCalg 

Where were you in the US? 

In addition to all the advice already given, the service signal is very dependent on your location relative to any cellular towers. 

My mobile speed is horrible on the first floor of my house and significantly faster when I go to the second floor.  When I drive a few blocks East of my house, I get blazing fast speeds.

Good luck.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@CdninCalg   Voice calls in the USA require a VoLTE capable and enabled phone, and 5G doesn't work on AT&T so best to either select T-Mobile or drop to 4G/LTE.  Some phones try to connect to Verizon which doesn't work with Public Mobile.  If your phone is not VoLTE then your only voice call option is 2G on T-Mobile where it still exists (there is no more 3G in the US which is why everyone there had to get an approved VoLTE phone by the end of 2022).  PM's VoLTE list is here

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte 

CdninCalg
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks - data roaming was enabled. I'll try T-Mobile or AT&T manually for my next trip, at 4G or LTE speeds.

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@CdninCalg - Try to set your phone to LTE / 4G and set it to T-Mobile or AT&T. Also enable data roaming.

Since 5G may be unstable if you find it to be try LTE or 4G.

Also try to add a 1 in front of the phone number as you may experience issues with the number routing.

Need Help? Let's chat.