cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International use with a wifi puck

AndreaSmith
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all. I’m going travelling globally for a year. I hope to take a wifi puck (Skyroam Solis, purchased from London Drugs) with an international data plan. Will my Public Mobile service work overseas with this wifi puck (or on wifi in our hostels etc), or will it just not work at all outside of Canada/US no matter what?

Thanks so much. 

6 REPLIES 6

RavingRaven
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@AndreaSmith 

I also agree that this seems to be an expensive option. Is there a group of you traveling together? Where are you planning to travel to? Generally each "continental" region will have options for Mobile service that will cover that region. Most will average $10/30 days with roam free service.

PM_5G

You may want to download and install Fongo - sounds like you are hoping to call back to Canada
Fongo Mobile gives you a Free local Canadian number and works over any WiFi so you basically get free WiFi calling and it allows you to receive texts for free to your Fongo number - you do need to pay for sending text messages.
I agree with previous reply that WiFi puck is expensive and your best option is to create a WiFi Hotspot with a SIM or eSIM purchased from wherever you are travelling to... or with an International SIM available online as well as on Amazon - if your phone has HotSpot capability. If your phone has eSIM capability you can also look at Airalo Data Packs as well.

Happy Travels!

Joe_G
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Public Mobile does not have Wi-Fi Calling, if that's what you're looking for.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@AndreaSmith 

Skyroam Solis has it’s own plans for roaming wifi and doesn’t link to the PM plan.

It looks expensive with the unit and plans. Probably cheaper if you purchase a local SIM but check for SIM on Amazon for locations you are going to.

You might want to consider the SIMore SIM router. Place your SIM in the router at home then use the app to make calls and texting anywhere around the world.

https://www.simore.com/en/iphone-dual-sim-active-simultaneously-4g-router-adapter-triple-dual-sim-at... 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@AndreaSmith 

Public mobile does not offer international country roaming  (besides the USA).  

You will need to find a different provider for this purpose.  

EB0

PM doesn’t have any roaming outside Canada.

it works only in USA if you have a UAS roaming add-on or CAN/US plan

Need Help? Let's chat.