cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. Roaming Package not working

Lorraine8
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I purchased a data-talk U.S. roaming bundle and the data is working but I can't make a call.

Lorraine8_0-1696302152435.png

Lorraine8_1-1696302198710.png

12 REPLIES 12

@softech Where did you get the idea that it's the roaming partner who determines VoLTE device compatability, not PM? That would really surprise me.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Please do let us know if you have any volte thing to turn on and if calling works while you have 4G LTE set. I don't believe the assertion of the other member saying it would work. I seem to recall someone recently saying it did not. So please let us know so we can all share in the knowledge.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

Since data is working, if following the steps already suggested don't work perhaps a work-around would be to download an app like Fongo (or some here recommend TextNow) which would enable you to make phone calls over cellular data or wifi (but it would not be from your PM phone number).

@Lorraine8 wrote:

I was on T Mobile but switched to 4G/3G/2G (Auto) and rebooted but it still isn't working.

@Lorraine8 

with you still on T Mobile, try to switch down to 2G Only and see if it works

If not, change it back to 4G/3G/2G(Auto) , then check around Mobile Data page and see if VoLTE is there, toggle it on and test (your phone might not be VoLTE compatible on PM, but when you are roaming, it is the roaming partner list to follow, not PM's)
Also, manually connect to AT&T and test as well

What's the make and model? In the network selections like 4G LTE do you get a 2G GSM option?

@Lorraine8 Upgrading to a 4G or 5G plan won't help. All plans have access to all networks. The issue is that your phone itself needs to be capable of making calls on the 4G network (VoLTE), which yours is not (at least on PM's network). If you don't have VoLTE the only chance you have of making a phone call is if you can find and connect to 2G. Text and data are unaffected by this.

Lorraine8

My phone isn't on the list. I guess I have to upgrade to a 4G plan. Thanks!

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Lorraine8 

Here is the comparability list:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

You can also try out AT&T to see if that makes any difference for you. 

Lorraine8

Thanks. Do you know where I can find that device compatibility list please?

Lorraine8

I was on T Mobile but switched to 4G/3G/2G (Auto) and rebooted but it still isn't working.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

@Lorraine8 What phone do you have? You need to ensure your phone is on PM's VoLTE device comparability list, otherwise your phone will be trying to fallback to the 3G network to make a phone call, but the US no longer has a 3G network.

Also as noted by @JRod, if you're connected to AT&T, try forcing it to T-Mobile, and setting your Preferred Network to 4G vs 5G.

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Lorraine8 

What network are you currently connected to. Roaming for Public Mobile only works with T-Mobile or AT&T. Manually connect to T-Mobile and reboot your device if AT&T isn’t working for you. You can also try putting your voice and data setting to 2G to see if that will work better for you if your device isn’t VoLTE enabled. Some have also reported that AT&T and changing their voice and data setting to LTE instead of 5G has helped in some areas.

Need Help? Let's chat.