cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling Asia

MMM3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I will be travelling Asia in a couple of months, will I still be able to receive sms and phone calls? I won't need to answer/reply them but want to make sure I know who has contacted me during my trip.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

rahulguptabit

I had visited Asia and used below approach to be able to know if anyone calls:

1. Setup voice mail on the phone and set the passcode.

2. While in asia, dial Canada number i.e. 306-580-4001 (from any north america calling app)

3. Hear the voice mail.

Above approach can be used for "Call based" authentication mechanism too like CRA.

@brainfreze   for future reference, VoIP app TextNow is a good way to call back Canada and those 1-888 number for free.  You can give the TextNow number to your friends for them to call you from their regular phone

brainfreze
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Pick up a local sim. Disable 2FA or add a secondary number that can be reached at (friend or family) for your credit cards. I made the mistake of overlooking 2FA on my recent trip to Asia and it was a headache to say the least; could not pay for anything online (planes, hotels). 

Thankfully, I was able to use Skype for calls to toll free numbers (to reset my 2FA settings).

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

I've heard of people who put their PM sim in another phone that they leave at home, turned on, and plugged into a charger the whole time. They they download a text forwarding app, and have the texts forwarded to a service such as TextNow. You can also forward your phone calls. 

@MMM3 wrote:

So will I be able to see a record of contacts who called/text me during my trip after I return back to Canada? Can I use skype to call in order to check my voice mails?

You won't know who called unless they leave a message. The usage history shows a call forwared to voicemail but won't tell you who called. The usage history will say who texted you but the mesasges will be gone when you get back.

@MMM3 you don't have to leave your PM sim in Canada.  

When you are away, people call you but cannot reach you, they will get forwarded to your voicemail.  Your usage history on My Account will show that 

if people decide to leave a message, the message will be kept on the server for 10 days.  You can use your VoIP app like TextNow to call yourself and listen to the voicemail from Asia.  Again, TextNow will work as long as you have local mobile data or Wifi

MMM3

So will I be able to see a record of contacts who called/text me during my trip after I return back to Canada? Can I use skype to call in order to check my voice mails?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@MMM3   Sorry, NO.  PM does not have roaming service in Asia.  They only have roaming for US

So, you will need to buy local Mobile data prepaid sim card for data asia there.  

To receive call and text, download and setup a VoIP app like TextNow, they will give you a new 10 digits number. You can make and receive calls and text on this number using the app.  It will work as long as you have Mobile data or wifi

Please note you won't be able to receive 2FA text because of that, (and you won't be able to use VoIP app to receive 2FA text).  if you have 2FA text to receive, you will have to change to Authenticator app or use email instead

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@MMM3 

no PM service soon as you land. Get a local sim and cheap plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.