cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel to the US

cmsp
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Last trip I bought US roaming and it didn't work. I went back and read the small print and it says you also need long distance. Can someone please tell me exactly ( not great at this stuff) what I need to buy to get my phone to work in the US for a short trip. I really need my phone to work on this trip! Thank you in advance.

10 REPLIES 10

@cmsp- It sounds like you've also stacked features while active. This is not correct. (how would you know without asking here or doing a lot of reading). Click on the little refresh icons under shop add-ons and see what all roaming add-ons show up. If you have multiple overlapping same features (particularly talk) then you'll need support to clean that up.

Then you'll need to do the manual connection to only T-Mobile. Hopefully your phone can switch down to 2G for talk. Or maybe try setting the phone to 2G also.

cmsp

My situation was much like Sarah below. I have tried both talk and talk and text. This last time no luck at all. The person I visited had T-Mobile so I know I should have had coverage. It is not like it is a lot of money but I really needed my phone. I am building a house and non of my contractors could get a hold of me and I had to borrow my friends phone just to check in on the job. I tried to get a refund last time and after searching for what seemed like hours (probably only minutes) I never found where I could issue a complaint. As my 10 days hasn't expired yet perhaps someone could tell me how to do so. Thanks for you help.

cmsp

I tried this and it was so sketchy no worth it. The person I was visiting had T-Mobile so I know there was reception.

Hi @sarahcalgary yes, not just PM roaming, all carriers have some issue with roaming as it relies on a 3rd party carrier and sometimes it is out of their control 

But open ticket with CS and hope they will do something to compensate 

sarahcalgary

I tried both allowing the phone to choose the network automatically, and looking for available networks and choosing one manually. I think I did try T-mobile but can't remember for sure! it was such a pain using my phone in the US I'll never bother with a roaming plan again! (I'll get a US prepaid phone)

Hi @sarahcalgary did you try T-Mobile?  you need T-Mobile  2G for voice..  Also, people said AT&T is no longer reliable for data

And open ticket with PM,  I know they might do partial refund or full refund depends on how much you  can use

sarahcalgary

Just back from a US trip. Bought a package with US calls and data - couldn't make any US calls. Then bought a data-only package. EXTREMELY unreliable. Worked sometimes then would drop out for days even when i checked AT&T coverage in the area was good. Next time I'll buy a US phone or US prepaid sim card.

Community_QA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

where you went last time and where you are going? 

US roaming coverage is not 100%.  You will get better chance with data roaming than voice

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Once you've successfully bought the add-on...when you get to US manually select T-Mobile as the network of choice.

edit...

when you returned home, did you request a credit to your account for the add-on that didn't work ?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@cmsp   you made another post earlier, let's jump back to your other post for easy tracking  🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.