cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel to US

mp1988
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just purchased the 50GB Canada US plan. When I cross the border to the US, do I need to do anything like switching to a particular provider (ie. Verison, T-Mobile) or change any settings on my iphone?

4 REPLIES 4

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@mp1988   Just to add that if your phone is on the VoLTE whitelist it should already be enabled and many phones no longer show a VoLTE toggle because it's automatically always on.  My iPhone 13 has no VoLTE toggle but VoLTE works fine.  

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@mp1988 

Go to Settings>Cellular Data Options>enable Data Roaming then Voice Option>enable VoLTE.

You can also go to Network Selection> enable Automatic so it will connect to AT&T or T-Mobile.

eddieO
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mp1988 if your phone is an iPhone 8 or newer  (running on iOS 16 & above) then your phone is already on the Public Mobile white list of VoLTE devices and therefore should be good with either T-Mobile or AT&T, but if it's an Android you can check the list below to see if your phone is whitelisted, note: even if your phone supports VoLTE if it is not on list the feature likely will not be enabled on PM's side. If you have issues with making/receiving calls but text and data works then you will need to connect to T-Mobile 2G for voice, AT&T will not work for voice in this scenario. Most people have not had trouble using their phones in the US the the Canada/US plans.

If you get a message when you enter the US that says you will need to buy a roaming add-on, ignore this message as it seems to get sent out automatically to all customers

Scroll towards the bottom for a list of VoLTE-roaming enabled devices:
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

KZ1964
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

T-Mobile/AT&T connect manually, turn off connect automatic.  Turn off 5 g and put on 4 g.  Make sure your roaming is turned on.

If the phone is not connecting to T-Mobile/AT&T, change the Network Connection from Automatic to Manual and select and test both T-Mobile and AT&T and see which one you can connect.  Make sure VoLTE is enabled on the device setting.  You can download VoIP app TextNow to make calls and text if your phone is not VoLTE enabled.  

Need Help? Let's chat.