Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Typically, you can move your number if:

• It's an active mobile or landline number
  • We have service in that area
  • It's from a service provider in the same local calling area
  • Number Portability is available in that area 

Tips for moving to Public Mobile

• Keep it live. Don't cancel your current service before switching to us. Your phone number must be active in order to move it
  • Have it at hand. Have your phone, an invoice from your current service provider and if possible, your service agreement handy when you move your number. Just to be safe, you should review your existing service agreement to find out what charges might apply
  • Don't delegate. Only the authorized account holder can transfer a number

Click here for porting instructions.

683 REPLIES 683

kidsndog
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

On May 26, I ported four numbers over from Zoomer Wireless. These are my kids' phones. The usage report shows that they have been active on the Public Mobile network since May 27th. I received an invoice from Zoomer Wireless today (June 11), and they claim that the numbers have not been ported over and are still active on their network. I explained that the phones have PM sim cards in them, the network shows up as Telus, and the usage report shows that they are active on PM's network. Zoomer insists that the numbers are still active on their network and that I must have new numbers with PM. I assured them that I didn't have new numbers, but they do not believe me. They told me that if they kill the numbers on their end, the numbers will be dead and no longer usable as they are connected to Zoomer still. In the 18 years that I have been dealing with cellular phones and porting numbers, I have never come across this scenario. Does this make sense at all?!?

jackal

As per previous poster, I suggest that you edit out your real phone number above.

Contact the moderators with your current phone number and PIN and they may be able to assist you with the porting. Re: your old account - as the associate entered the wrong details, it is likely you have not lost it as it has not been ported. Therefore, relax for now and contact the PM Moderator for assistance.

@ersslemont wrote:

Hi there moderators.

I went to wallmart to transfer my number today and to get a new sim card. 

The person at the kiosk did all the job on transfering but they placed a wrong digit on my phone number.

Before my number was (780) FIVE xxxx. Now my number, as he registered is (780) EIGHT-xxxxx

How can you guys fix it? I need my previous number back! I depend on my work to contact me on it! 

Please make the changes ASAP!

Nothing has happened to your previous number.  By the way, unless you are comfortable with posting your number for everyone to see, I wouldn't post your entire phone number like that.

As for your old number, it will still be active at your old company.  Because the person at Walmart entered the wrong phone number, your old carrier  never did receive a request to transfer your phone number.  Although Public Mobile has assigned that "wrong" phone number to your account, the carrier for whom that wrong phone number was requested to be transfered from will reject the request as an unauthorized phone number transfer request (mismatching account information, etc.). 

Send a message to Moderator_Tream with your current Public Mobile account information and PIN number (to prove it's your account), and also provide them with the phone number that was supposed to be transfered, along with the old carrier's account number that was assigned to you.  They will submit a new number portability request for you.

ersslemont
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there moderators.

I went to wallmart to transfer my number today and to get a new sim card. 

The person at the kiosk did all the job on transfering but they placed a wrong digit on my phone number.

Before my number was (780) FIVE 62-0011. Now my number, as he registered is (780) EIGHT 62-0011

How can you guys fix it? I need my previous number back! I depend on my work to contact me on it! 

Please make the changes ASAP!

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi @monocycliste,

Thanks for reaching out to us! We'll be happy to help you and port the number here.

I've just send you a private message 🙂

Best,

Syed

monocycliste

I already have, I'm just posting my issue here for reference if other users end up with the same problem in the future.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@monocycliste wrote:

@Moderator_Team I'm trying to set up a new account and port my landline number but I get this message 

Public Mobile Web Activation- 

Your Old Service Provider rejected your transfer request. Common mistakes:
  •   • Account Number doesn’t match Old Service Provider records
  •   • Equipment Serial Number doesn’t match Old Service Provider records
  •   • Security PIN doesn’t match Old Service Provider records
  •   • Alternate Contact Number format (should be 10-digits, no spaces, no dashes)
  •   • Did not check the “I am authorized…” checkbox
      Please review and correct your entries, and click “Submit”

I have try over 2 days using different browsers, and I did review the informations many time, without noticing any errors. Aditionnaly there are no fields to enter account number, equipment serial number or security PIN.

What's the best way to go from here? The account still hasn't been created and the SIM not activated since the porting is only step 2 out of 6 of a SIM activation.

Thanks.

I’m sorry you’ve been experiencing so many issues. For a faster resolution I suggest sending a private message to the moderator team. Please keep us updated on your situation.  

monocycliste

@Moderator_Team I'm trying to set up a new account and port my landline number but I get this message 

Public Mobile Web Activation- 

Your Old Service Provider rejected your transfer request. Common mistakes:
  •   • Account Number doesn’t match Old Service Provider records
  •   • Equipment Serial Number doesn’t match Old Service Provider records
  •   • Security PIN doesn’t match Old Service Provider records
  •   • Alternate Contact Number format (should be 10-digits, no spaces, no dashes)
  •   • Did not check the “I am authorized…” checkbox
      Please review and correct your entries, and click “Submit”

I have try over 2 days using different browsers, and I did review the informations many time, without noticing any errors. Aditionnaly there are no fields to enter account number, equipment serial number or security PIN.

What's the best way to go from here? The account still hasn't been created and the SIM not activated since the porting is only step 2 out of 6 of a SIM activation.

Thanks.

he000084

Problem solved. Thank you guys.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@meocon please keep us updated on this situation. 

I would never wait 48 hours with an issue before contacting a mod.  As stated it is up to four hours for a port to normailly complete.  It sounds like your port has been stuck. You will need to contact the MODS.  

To send a private message to a moderator click this link.
In your message please include:
  • PM Phone Number
  • 4 digit PIN (if you don't remember this then they will need at least 3 of the following to verify your identity)
    • account number 
    • date of birth
    • complete address listed on account with postal code
    • email address on account
    • most commonly called numbers
    • alternate number listed on the account
    • last payment date and amount
    • last 4 digits of the credit card
  • Detailed explanation
Community Moderators are available from Mon-Thursday 9am(Eastern) to 9pm(Eastern) and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 9am(Eastern) to 7:30pm(Eastern)

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

meocon
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@he000084 try to take sim card out & in again hopefully it'll work. Otherwise, you have to wait for Mods to reply as just them can fix that problem for you.

he000084

I reboot many times, but it is still the same. And the PM got no response yet.

meocon

@he000084 did you try to reboot your phone? did you send a private message for Mods?

he000084

I received the following message:"
Public Mobile here: Your transfer request has been completed successfully. Welcome to Public Mobile and thank you for joining us!". But when I tried to call my phone number, it said 
"this cellular number you have called is not assigned". What should I do next? Looking for help. Thanks.

he000084

OK. Thank you very much.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@he000084, although it can take up to 48 hours, ports from most other cell carriers rarely take more than a few hours.  I suggest that if the port isn't completed by the morning, you should contact the moderators (via private message), to have them check that the port is not stuck for some reason.

Click here to send the moderator team a private message. Their hours are: Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM(EST) & Sat/Sun 9AM-7:30PM(EST)
You can find information regarding the moderator team by following this link.

MacMe

@he000084 wrote:

I have signed up to Public Mobile plan, and I also requested to port my Fido number over to Public Mobile. From my Public Mobile phone, I can call out number, but when I call my number from another phone, it always goes to the old Fido phone. What should I do? Please help me.   Thank you.

On your phone is the Cellular Network listed as Public Mobile or Fido? You can try manually selecting Public Mobile as your Network Operator in your phones settings.

You can try also powering off your phone, Then turn it back on after a few seconds.

meocon

@he000084 did you try to reboot your phone as well? yeah you should wait over 48 hours if it still has a same problem you should send a private message to the moderator team and ask them to investigate that issue for you.  include your account# or phone#, as well as your account PIN (if know) to help speed up the identification process.

Click here to send the moderator team a private message.

You can find information regarding the moderator team by following this link.

How long until a moderator replies?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Friday 9am to 9pm, and Saturday & Sunday from 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during office hours, in the order in which they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.

How can I view my private messages between myself and a Community Moderator?

he000084

Less than 48 hours. Should I wait to see what will happen next?

meocon

@he000084 how long have you port your number to PM? Usually it takes up to 48 hours to complete a transfer.

he000084

I have signed up to Public Mobile plan, and I also requested to port my Fido number over to Public Mobile. From my Public Mobile phone, I can call out number, but when I call my number from another phone, it always goes to the old Fido phone. What should I do? Please help me.   Thank you.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi g5njpark,

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

I am sorry to hear that you are unable to receive calls after the port and I can reassure you that I'll be there to help you with this issue.

In order to better help you, please send us a private message.

Cheers

Abdoulaye

g5njpark

I have signed up to Public Mobile plan a week ago, and when I did, I also requested to port my Fido number over to Public Mobile.  It's been a week, and from my Public Mobile phone, I can call out number, but when I call my number from another phone, it always goes to the old Fido phone. What would I be doing wrong here?

EDIT: Just learned while browsing the thread, that in this case I have to send out PM to the moderators.

@Austin wrote:

I am with public mobile and today I transferred my landline number to PM for my spouse. How long will I have to keep the landline number active so that it does not get cancelled. If anybody can help that will be great.

To add to the point about Public Mobile taking care of deactivating your old company's service, make sure that you don't take any steps to deactivate that service yourself.  If you do that, the transfer of your phone number will surely fail.  Sometimes, people think that porting is complete and go and call the old company to cancel (which you aren't supposed to do).  What then happens is that the service over there gets immediately cancelled and the number transfer doesn't go through. 

@meocon wrote:

@MoreYummy Can PM port landline number to cellphone as well?

Yup, it just takes longer to process. 

meocon

@MoreYummy Can PM port landline number to cellphone as well?

@Austin you have to keep it active until the port over to publc mobile is successful.  Otherwise there might be chaos.   

After it is ported to public successfully, they will cancel your current provider for you.  

You dont need to do anything.  Enjoy afterward!Smiley Happy

Austin

I am with public mobile and today I transferred my landline number to PM for my spouse. How long will I have to keep the landline number active so that it does not get cancelled. If anybody can help that will be great.

@jp2 wrote:

Aren't the symptons of a stuck port the number continues to work on the old carrier but not on the new PM sim?

The Telus way to do port-ins seems to be that the number to be ported is assigned to the account as soon as the port is initiated. Outgoing calls and texts usually work immediately from the PM SIM. Incoming calls are going to the previous provider and its voice mail until the port is completed.

(Obviously there can be variations to this... I believe the [inexisting] form mentioned comes into play when a first attempt bounced due to wrong or insufficient information provided.)

Need Help? Let's chat.