cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer number without buy a new simcard

Khoaito
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I am wondering if I could still use my current sim card provided by Virgin which have no service more because I change to using an esim. Now I want to active a new line should I use that one to save $10 for other provider as in Mobile public.. thank you for your instructions guys.

10 REPLIES 10

HI @Babypenguin  the technology actually allows, just all carriers chose not to 

Babypenguin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am quite skeptical that you can reuse a physical sim. That's one thing that I had always wished for, not only to save money but also to reduce waste.

HI @Khoaito 

you said you were using eSIM with Virgin

from what I understand, no carrier allows the reuse of physical sim card

Abheer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Did you switch your physical SIM to eSIM in the Virgin Mobile my account? If so, unfortunately, the old SIM card is not operational anymore 😞

You would need to ask Virgin but if the account that that sim was attached to is dead and not just suspended (however Virgin works) then I don't know of any providers that would let you re-use their old dead sim for a new account. They almost certainly technically could but providers like that bit of revenue of selling a new sim.

Khoaito
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for your advices, then my current Virgin simcard is only available to be reused to active with new line provided by Virgin, right?? My will soon come here in Canada next couple months and I love to rescue it for her right after she makes it. Thanks

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Khoaito 

while esim is free, it cost you another $5 if you change phone, or accidentally deleted the esim

if you want to get a new sim card (which you need if you choose physical sim), get from Amazon.ca for $5

sg00
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It looks like your phone is compatible with eSim and Public Mobile currently offers free eSims, so you won't need to buy a new sim card. 

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Khoaito   No you can't use a Virgin sim card for Public Mobile.  You can either buy a PM physical sim (from Amazon or a corporate Telus store preferably) or join Public Mobile with an e-sim.  You can transfer your number from Virgin to PM during activation or after choosing a temporary number and then porting when everything is working OK.

Abheer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @Khoaito 
Unfortunately, SIMs can not be re used. You can purchase one on Amazon for 5 bucks or you can purchase one at your nearest Telus/Koodo store for 10$. Use this tool to find stores near you.
https://publicmobile.ca/en/bc/pick-up-SIM.
You can get an eSIM for Public Mobile (on new activation) for 0$

Need Help? Let's chat.