cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timing of port in a number

liuxinbing
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

After I join PM, i.e. activate my new sim, and get a new cell number, how soon shall I port in my existing number from another provider? Such as within a week, within a month, or any time even after a year? The two numbers would be in same city of course. Thanks. 

11 REPLIES 11

liuxinbing

Last ported July 12, 2022, from bell to Rogers, by a Rogers agent. No text at all, although she did remind me to reply yes.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@liuxinbing 

When did you last port a phone number? New porting authorization standards were adopted industry wide in 2021 that require the customer to authorize a port via an SMS text (or verbally/written in certain circumstances) before a mobile provider will release a phone number to the new provider as per the request by the customer.

liuxinbing

Thanks. Exactly what I needed to know. Bravo. 

@liuxinbing  you can wait as long as you want to port , but then you just have to keep two phone plans going until you decide to port it .

@Shan15 there is actually no need to contact old provider before porting request.  .

Shan15
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You can port whenever you want. 

Please ensure to contact your current service provider before you port the number. 

liuxinbing

on the other hand, I don’t want to port right the way. I want to delay porting by a few weeks, please confirm this way works. Thanks 

liuxinbing

Thanks everyone for replying. I knew how to port, as I did port from Rogers to PM before. I just wanted to know whether I may not port in until few weeks later or one month later. I guess yes but I need a confirm. 

and by the way, there may not be a confirmation text from current provider while porting. I ported from Rogers to PM, and from bell to Rogers. Both cases, there were no any text. As soon as the porting request submitted, the old sim lost network in two minutes and new sim started working in another two minutes. But yes I will definitely leave old sim in anyway. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@liuxinbing 

The only concern on timing when porting in a number would be the provider you are porting from? If it is a voip provider then generally they do not work weekends or holidays so it is best to request porting during the work week preferably on the Monday or Tuesday as they can take up to 7 business days or sometimes more to complete porting. Landlines can be similar and best done during the work week as they take on average up to 2 days to complete porting. Most common mobile provider phone numbers can be ported in at any time. Just ensure your account is active and if it's prepaid its best done before day 30 of your 30 day cycle.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

You can port it right away , just remember to keep old SIM card in your phone from your old provider and when you receive a confirmation text reply YES 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@liuxinbing   as soon as you are ready 🙂

first, make sure your PM sim works for incoming call/text, outgoing calls/text and mobile

Also, make sure your old provider's account still active

Then login to My Account, Profile page  and click Change phone number, and seelct Transfer number

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/en/account/edit/your-accounthttps://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/en/account/edit/your-account

once you requested porting, put the old sim card back to the phone.  Your old provider will send you a text and ask for your approval.  You need to reply YES within 90 mins

Once replied, you can put your PM sim card back, reboot the phone ever 30 mins until  your PM sim is receiving incoming calls on your old phone number. 

Need Help? Let's chat.