cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text From PM About Changes To Manitoba Prepaid Network

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I just received the following text now:

"Public Mobile here. As of March 16, 2021, our Prepaid network in Manitoba will be changing and select areas of Winnipeg and Brandon may experience reduced voice coverage. Data speeds will remain unaffected. In order to maintain the best voice coverage after March 16, 2021, changes will need to be made to your account. For more information, please call us at 1-866-975-3058. Free Public Mobile Msg"

Before I call this number, has anyone here heard anything related to this or what exactly this is about? What changes are we talking about???

283 REPLIES 283

Great_Big_Abyss
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

That wasn't my point.  My point is that PM is obviously capable of utilizing the LTE network, as you can purchase add-ons that use it.  Therefore it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to assume that they could add VoLTE.

Karnbot13

It's a data add on only. No voice unless you're using an app to send voice over your data connection

Pencil_Pusher

I cannot seem to see where to purchase the 4G add on.

pdunk

Can a Moderator answer this please?

Will Public Mobile enable VoLTE for its customers in affected areas before March 16, 2021?

This change is potentially incredibly disruptive and may result in mass exodus away from TELUS if not managed well.

Great_Big_Abyss

The net result is that if we can't have Voice service on Public Mobile, won't it effectively exclude Public Mobile from the province of Manitoba?  That doesn't make much business sense to me.  

Great_Big_Abyss

Obviously the right thing for Telus/PM to do would be to let us Public Mobile customers keep our plans but enable VoLTE for us.  My phone (which is LTE and VoLTE capapable already) already shows that it is on the LTE network, just perhaps at 3G speeds.  Seeing as you can purchase 4G LTE data in Add-on plans, obviously we're capable of connecting to the LTE network within Public Mobile's ecosystem. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sergioecg wrote:

Can they do that and just leave us hanging, in the middle of this awful situation when budgeting is pretty much everything we are doing? Isn't there anything in our "contract" with PM to hold them accountable for our losses? 

@sergioecg your "contract" with Public Mobile is 30 days at a time and subject to change with 30 days notice from them.  I would assume these text messages would constitute sufficient notice.  Can they do this?  of course they can.  It's Telus' network and they can make whatever good or bad decisions they desire.  Should they do this?  well, arguably not. 

However, it is the price of progress, and carriers can't continue maintaining 3G + 4G + 5G networks indefinitely.  In fact, the major US carriers all have similar plans in place, e.g.: https://www.lightreading.com/5g/goodbye-3g-heres-when-t-mobile-atandt-and-verizon-will-shut-it-off-/...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@sergioecg wrote:

then he proceeds to tell me they are offering some promotions for people that would consider leaving PM or Koodo, etc for a plan with them where there won't be any affectation in the coverage area? Hello... it's Telus disregardless, how come PM would be affected but Telus won't? I believe it's just some BS fishing for customers. 

@sergioecg as noted: pre-paid customers of any Telus brand (Telus, Koodo, Public Mobile) don't have access to VoLTE services. If there is no HSPA signal available to you after this transition, you won't be able to make or receive voice calls without VoLTE.  This is why they are suggesting migrating to a post-paid Telus or Koodo (since PM is prepaid only) plan.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@Peggie99 wrote:

"Telus is decommissioning their 3G (UMTS/W-CDMA) network in Manitoba soon."

Do you have a reference for this information?

All I could find was an old article from 2017 mentioning decommissioning CDMA. 

https://www.telus.com/en/mb/support/article/cdma

Check out the reply in this Koodo community thread from "Ranjan Koodo", a Koodo employee:  https://community.koodomobile.com/other-80596/will-koodo-support-non-volte-capable-phones-for-the-fo...

@pdunk wrote:

Can a Moderator please chime in with an official announcement of the details?

We need to understand the details including implications and solutions.

This thread is deeply affecting to many.

@pdunk  Someone earlier in this thread waited until they got through to the "hotline". The solution is to transfer to a Telus/Koodo post paid service with a VoLTE compatible phone. 😥

EDIT from the French forum: There will be a promo to help these subscribers acquire VoLTE compatible phones with a discount of up to $ 100.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Great_Big_Abyss wrote:

Well that sucks.  So we could potentially lose ALL Voice call functionality?  AKA, the main purpose of a PHONE?  

That doesn't sound right.  Surely it can't go down that way.  I finally came to terms with my cheap, no-frills phone plan, and don't want it to go away.  

If you have a phone that can use LTE and has VoLTE functionalilty, you will have better quality calling, but with a price increase.

The transition off 3G to LTE/5G is just beginning and will proceed as fast as the Telcos wish; remember CDMA and 2G are now defunct in Canada/USA even though still functional in may other countries.

As I read the tea leaves, within a few years there will be only 2 choices for cellular calls; VOIP or VoLTE.  Plus the plethora of app-app services: Skype, Facetime, Signal, etc.

pdunk

Can a Moderator please chime in with an official announcement of the details?

We need to understand the details including implications and solutions.

This thread is deeply affecting to many.

@umnikke8 wrote:

There is no way they are going to leave people with no or crummy voice coverage, I'm sure a solution is in the works. So far it seems they are just leaving people dangling and hoping for some upselling to their other more expensive brands.

I have agree with @umnikke8   I'm sure PM (Telus) is working on something to offer all of their customers before this change takes effect, hopefully!

umnikke8

There is no way they are going to leave people with no or crummy voice coverage, I'm sure a solution is in the works. So far it seems they are just leaving people dangling and hoping for some upselling to their other more expensive brands.

Great_Big_Abyss

Well that sucks.  So we could potentially lose ALL Voice call functionality?  AKA, the main purpose of a PHONE?  

That doesn't sound right.  Surely it can't go down that way.  I finally came to terms with my cheap, no-frills phone plan, and don't want it to go away.  

sergioecg

Can they do that and just leave us hanging, in the middle of this awful situation when budgeting is pretty much everything we are doing? Isn't there anything in our "contract" with PM to hold them accountable for our losses? 

This is really wrong... but then you remember they are a cellphone service provider, and of course, they are awful. 

ARGHHH...

@Great_Big_Abyss  Likely answered somewhere in all the posts but here's the gruesome details. Telus/Bell are closing the 3G network in Brandon/Winnipeg even though all calls on PM/Telus/Koodo are only carried on 3G. Everyone must move to voice on LTE, aka VoLTE. How the plan to support current affected PM/Koodo customers who have no access to VoLTE, and all customers with phones incompatible with VoLTE, is not yet known.

The quicky non-Telus solution is Fongo app with Fongo Mobile SIM. https://www.fongo.com/ and https://shop.fongowireless.com/cart.php. Later in the year perhaps https://dotmobile.app/

pdunk

Thank you for this update!

I was on hold for over an hour and I just hung up upon reading your message.

This is an unethical sales tactic by TELUS  to fear customers into switching/paying more money based on a nebulous, vague network change with no additional detail or supplemental documentation to help customers to make informed decisions.

In the absence of supporting documentation this represents unethical sales behaviour and needs to be shared with the CCTS here: https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/

sergioecg

OK, I call the number, after one hour wait the person gets the call to tell me that yes there will be some sort of voice call area affected at that point but they can not tell which areas those are going to be... then he proceeds to tell me they are offering some promotions for people that would consider leaving PM or Koodo, etc for a plan with them where there won't be any affectation in the coverage area? Hello... it's Telus disregardless, how come PM would be affected but Telus won't? I believe it's just some BS fishing for customers. He then proceeded to politely ask me for my monthly cost, and when I explain 23 dollars for this and that, he choked! LOL, there is nothing they can offer that competitive, etc, etc, what budget do I have in mind, etc... I said that's my budget $23 or less... can you offer that? NO? then S...T...F...U... and stop cold SMSing me for no real reason. We agreed that I would wait till March 16th and see how this rolls. More likely nothing will happen and this is just some BS strategy to get customers. But I do warn you they held me inline for one full hour! Buggers

pdunk

Koodo users received a similar message and are asking questions in their community.

https://community.koodomobile.com/plans-add-ons-66722/prepaid-winnipeg-coverage-7802716

I will monitor their message board and share any relevant update.

lwc726

well on the phone on hold for exactly one hour then they hung up. wtf this is not service at any level.

4mp3rs4nd

It looks like Rogers is shutting down 1900mhz 3G by March 31, 2021:

https://bsav.ca/important-notice-regarding-upcoming-2g-3g-changes-on-the-rogers-network/

Sounds like the service won't be available to lease space moving forward.

pdunk

Hello, would an Oracle or Mod know more about this?

It's very concerning to be told these changes are affecting "select areas of Winnipeg" with no website to learn more, or other explanation. To be referred to a toll-free number, only to remain on hold for over half an hour, is very poor customer service. I expected better.

@bluejaywpg 

They used to offer full speed LTE plans, it's probably there from before.

There are areas with scarce 3g towers with great signal but pretty much impossible to talk, if they would enable volte the quality of service would go through the roof for such areas, a big plus for them. I have no technical background of any sort to know what would make it too expensive for Publicmobile, for me (who knows nothing about it) seems like a little switch and you end up with great service

Peggie99

"Telus is decommissioning their 3G (UMTS/W-CDMA) network in Manitoba soon."

Do you have a reference for this information?

All I could find was an old article from 2017 mentioning decommissioning CDMA. 

https://www.telus.com/en/mb/support/article/cdma

4mp3rs4nd

I was looking at that too.

The site still offers unlimited calling, and it would be unreasonable to expect them to offer that if they're cutting it off within a month - if we don't hear more here, we'll be able to see what the plan is when the next bill renewals extending past the 16th kick in.

bluejaywpg

@kselmak no changes that I can see, except this has me wondering (see the highlighted area). Note that all of the plans below specify "3G speeds". Nothing is pure, unthrottled 4G speed. For now I guess.

bluejaywpg_0-1612291762316.png

derrickhugh
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Ok it is not just me who got this text... I am on hold as well right now waiting to see why that text was sent.

After sitting on hold for 1 hour and 10 min they hung up on me....."sad kitten"....

Peggie99

I got the same as well. I called the number and it went to Telus, with only one prompt: "...to hear this promotion, press 1..."

Based on that my guess is they're funneling Public Mobile customers into their general front-line queue; I've been on hold for over 30 minutes.

I'm not a happy camper. 

For something this important - there should have been a link to a website with more information, and/or a unique prompt so that I can be directed to someone who knows something about why I'm calling.

If after waiting on hold for hours all I get is a front-liner who doesn't know anything about the Network change and then tries to sell me on a Telus plan, I'm going to be extra unhappy. 

...over an hour on hold, and then the call dropped followed by a busy signal. Ridiculous.

4mp3rs4nd

I guess it's fair to assume that Public Mobile won't be migrating with the pack, and 3G phone services will be lost. 

I expect that means different (i.e. pricier) plan tiers at 4G rates will be established?

Need Help? Let's chat.