cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to public mobile

Perrla
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Can I get Public Mobile through Walmart in Bowmanville, ON?  On the spot will they be able to port my existing # and use a referral code given to me?  What info do I need to bring to do this?  Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Perrla  - if they do not do activations, would you like to try to activate online yourself? You will need to obtain an unused public mobile sim card first. Then you can port during the activation process, or activate with a temporary number and request the port after activation.

Check to see if your number can be ported from this Koodo website (Telus owns Koodo and Public Mobile), so, same allowances here:

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do?lang=en&appname=otherportal

Here is the online activation portal :

https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/portal/activation

See helpful info. here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Perrla 

The Walmarts in BC will supply a free SIM if staff activate the SIM for you but check with them first.

I am not a big fan with Walmart staff activating the SIM for you…depending on the staff, they tend to make mistakes.

I would recommend London Drugs, The Mobile Shop inside the Superstore or a PM/Koodo retailer.

Community_QA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Perrla PM will shift away from store activation.  Call Warlmart Bowmanville and ask them if they have the sim and if they will activate 

(905) 623-0110

JL9
Mayor / Maire

You can try, just be very thorough and right on top of them because they sometimes conveniently "forget" to put the referral code you provided them in and then say there is nothing they can do. It seems they get a bigger commission or bonus by not doing that or going another route whether it's a store code or who knows what 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I don't know. A Wow Mobile kiosk said they won't do sign ups anymore. I try not to set foot in Walmarts. My mall used to have a Koodo kiosk but it's all Telus now. And we had heard that Public was switching to entirely online. So I don't know.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Perrla wrote:

Can I get Public Mobile through Walmart in Bowmanville, ON?  On the spot will they be able to port my existing # and use a referral code given to me?  What info do I need to bring to do this?  Thanks.

@Perrla   Likely yes.  

As far as we know, you can still do in store activation and Walmart Mobile will sell PM sim card and activate for you.  They will help you to port your number and apply the referral code

Please make sure the old provider is still active.  You DO NOT need to do anything to cancel the service with your old provider.  once it is ported, that account will be closed

and make sure you know the porting procedure.  After you activated PM sim and requested porting, you still keep you old provider sim in the phone because they will send you a text.  You need to reply YES to that text for the porting to complete.  Many people missed that step

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Perrla  Hi yes they can do that for you just give them your account number old phone number and name on account and your referral of course

Need Help? Let's chat.