cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from old size SIM to a multi size SIM card for a new phone

HNR
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I bought a new phone that isn't compatible wth my current 1 size (larger) sim card.

Can I switch my account to a new sim that is compatible with my new phone? If yes please provide the details of the switch.

Thank you,

Tzvi

20 REPLIES 20

Community_QA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I received a bunch of free Rogers and Bell SIMs in the mail as well. They do it that way, pretty much a cold call strategy.  You know how many of these sim got wasted?

But Telus/Rogers/Bell are tier 1 and the same service we have here would costs at least $5 more a month over there

I'm happy with my cheap bill, I don't mind someone paying a little for a SM card, I don't want to see the free SIM cards get thrown away, it's not environmentally friendly anyway

@Community_QA wrote:

Shouldn't expect free stuff all the time. I understand that if it's a defective SIM card, you may ask to get a replacment one for free. But if you change your phone, no one owes you a new one.

Expecting free?

Or collecting on a guarantee?

I know Telus does guarantee their SIM cards. Perhaps other companies do too. 

Community_QA

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

Some shops have SIM card punches. Try that….but at your own risk. Some London Drugs have them. Other wise buy a new one and do the change sim option online. 

I used to have one too.  But it is all nano everywhere now, this tool rarely need

Community_QA

Shouldn't expect free stuff all the time. I understand that if it's a defective SIM card, you may ask to get a replacment one for free. But if you change your phone, no one owes you a new one.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@HNR wrote:

I ordered through Canadian Cell Supplies 

@HNR  - ordering through CCS is a good, hopefully you get it quickly. It will likely come regular letter mail.

But, just so you know, cell shops could also  cut down your current 'oldie' SIM card for you. I have done it before with my vintage card from another provider. The shop charged about $5 to do it, but it fit great in the new smaller sim slot. No new SIM card needed.

If you did do this, you can still keep the one you ordered as a spare. Always nice to have a spare...for a lost, damage SIM or even a friend referral.

@darlicious wrote:

@HNR 

Wow that makes you an OG! Contact customer support and indicate to them that your old SIM card is not compatible with your new phone and ask that they credit your account for cost of the new SIM card once you submit your receipt.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account in your private messages only include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

I could see maybe approaching PM for an account credit if I bought the SIM from them, but to get reimbursed for something I went elsewhere I think is a bit of stretch of the old good will saying

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Some shops have SIM card punches. Try that….but at your own risk. Some London Drugs have them. Other wise buy a new one and do the change sim option online. 

@computergeek541 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@HNR 

Wow that makes you an OG! Contact customer support and indicate to them that your old SIM card is not compatible with your new phone and ask that they credit your account for cost of the new SIM card once you submit your receipt.

Replacement SIM cards for customers who have an old style SIM card aren't free.  Customers who go through this will need to purchase a SIM card using one of the methods mentioned earlier.

I love a freebee as much as anyone else.  I would not characterize this situation as one of entitlement because Telus/Public Mobile is not a charity.  However, it never hurts to ask nicely.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 

In my experience with mobile providers when needing a new SIM card due to compatibility issues they have always supplied one for free. If customer support refuses to credit the OP the $2 cost of the SIM card they have ordered I will refund the OP myself. You will pay for 100% of the credits you don't ask for.....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account in your private messages only include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

@darlicious wrote:

@HNR 

Replacement SIM cards for customers who have an old style SIM card aren't free.  Customers who go through this will need to purchase a SIM card using one of the methods mentioned earlier.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@HNR 

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Very good choice lol - much cheaper and you will actually  get it before the S31 comes out.

HNR

I ordered through Canadian Cell Supplies 

HNR

No. Not this old one.

HI@HNR  , you ordered from PM?  It could be 1 to 2 weeks.  Yes, it is a very slow service here, just like our data.  🙂

HNR

Sounds good. I just ordered a new one. Thanks. Will follow your advise once it arrives.

HNR

Sorry but my current sim is from the olden days... 1 size

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @HNR   Just go to a store a buy a new one. Those that are 3 sizes in 1.  It is around $10 

Once you got the new SIM, login to My Account, click Change SIM card and then pick a way to send the 2FA code and it will be completed very quickly

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@HNR   PM's SIMs are triple sized.  You can remove the housing from the SIM to fit your phone. 

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@HNR 

Can you punch it out?469D02C2-45FA-4F91-BE62-7F047CA6B7E9.png

Need Help? Let's chat.