cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched over to points and I LIKE IT but wife doesn't.

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I was a bit sceptical regarding switching over to the new point system -- but I thought that I would try it on one of  my - (don't want to let go ---still $10 plan). In my opinion the point system is great and allows flexibility in that one may purchase various add ons and even gamble a point or two towards the chance to win prizes. 

😎. My wife however is not on board because she doesn't want to be bothered with it all and prefers to continue having her rewards  automatically applied to her monthly  auto pay.

The PM statement below that I cut and pasted is in my opinion vague.  To me it reads that if one has tried the points system and doesn't like it then they may" opt-out of Public Points" but will not be able to switch back to the point system.

The statement is misleading because,  those that had switched from the old rewards system, may conclude that by opting out of points their plan would  revert back to the original rewards program. 

In view of PM not well thought out statement, that I doubt  was meant to deceive, I think it only fair for PM to allow those that have switched the option to revert back to the old rewards program.

Opting-out -----Our Rewards program, Public Points, is completely free. If you decide that you no longer want to earn points and redeem for exciting items, you can opt-out of Public Points. Once you opt-out, you will not be able to rejoin the program. If you wish to opt-out, contact us here.

101 REPLIES 101

BEER

😎Thank you.

@BEER  we have told you clearly 

NO, you won't be going back to the old system .  It is not a matter if you can opt out the new system or not   The idea to the old reward system is :  once you are out, you are out

It is true you can opt out the new system after you joined.  But opting out new system means you left with no reward system 

It is not our opinion,  it is fact

BEER

@Yummy wrote:

Could you please provide link to that statement?

Option out from Points is really grey area; are you completely kicked out from ANY kind of rewards system or just from Points system????

No I'm not - just for you will repeat my question --- 

It seems that if one regrets that they switched to the new point system they can opt out.

However it's not clear to me if by opting out of the point system the plan would revert back to the old reward system.

BEER

@HALIMACS wrote:

@BEER 

Seems to me that the statement, "you will not be able to rejoin the program" makes it pretty clear that if one opts out they will have no reward system. 

It seems that we all have opinions but no one knows for sure. The way I interpret the statement ( If you decide that you no longer want to earn points and redeem for exciting items, you can opt-out of Public Points.) that one may opt out of Public Points.

BEER

Opting-out -----Our Rewards program, Public Points, is completely free. If you decide that you no longer want to earn points and redeem for exciting items, you can opt-out of Public Points. Once you opt-out, you will not be able to rejoin the program. If you wish to opt-out, contact us here.

BEER

@softech wrote:

@BEER you can opt out from Public Point but you still won't get back to the Old system.   you would be left in no reward system

Are you sure?

@BEER you can opt out from Public Point but you still won't get back to the Old system.   you would be left in no reward system

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Could you please provide link to that statement?

Option out from Points is really grey area; are you completely kicked out from ANY kind of rewards system or just from Points system????

@BEER 

Seems to me that the statement, "you will not be able to rejoin the program" makes it pretty clear that if one opts out they will have no reward system. 

BEER

It seems that if one regrets that they switched to the new point system they can opt out.

However it's not clear to me if by opting out of the point system the plan would revert back to the old reward system.

Cut and pasting below ---

Simon is no help - Other then opinions does anyone actually know the answer?

BEER

@darlicious wrote:

@BEER 

Positive. I would run a speed test to prove it but that would be very costly data wise since there is no plan data I could just waste. You can see the difference in data used when playing a music video from YouTube. I have used this test on each of my accounts to show potential referrals there is really very little difference between full or throttled 4G LTE data except you use more data to play the same video. I have screenshots of this somewhere.....

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

That's great - thanks for info.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BEER 

Positive. I would run a speed test to prove it but that would be very costly data wise since there is no plan data I could just waste. You can see the difference in data used when playing a music video from YouTube. I have used this test on each of my accounts to show potential referrals there is really very little difference between full or throttled 4G LTE data except you use more data to play the same video. I have screenshots of this somewhere.....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

BEER

@darlicious wrote:

@BEER  Thus my $10 plan gets full speed 4G LTE data and my $15 plan gets 4G LTE data throttled to 3mbps.

Are you sure about this $10 plan full 4G?

@BEER 

Yes because I have both the $10 plan and the $15 plan. The $10 plan was eliminated and the $15 plan had the 250mb data bonus coded to the plan so pm could eliminate any current in market plans from receiving full speed 4G LTE data. As the terms and conditions clearly state that any plan without a plan data component when purchasing data add ons the data will default to full speed 4G LTE data. Thus my $10 plan gets full speed 4G LTE data and my $15 plan gets 4G LTE data throttled to 3mbps.

Edit:

I reread your post. I was thinking about the data component not the points rewards component.

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BEER : Maybe a semantics thing...the $10 plan does not come with data and no data via autopay. All current plans include data and then a little more data via autopay.

All plans before the 25th and not in points can get the $2 reward for having autopay on. All plans after the 25th and in points will get the 5% points for money added into the account.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@BEER saving $2 on the old rewards program.

Other than that, nothin' else.

BEER

@esjliv wrote:

@BEER wrote:

@esjliv wrote:

@BEER  are you talking about the $15 plan?

If so, this plan will give you 250MB regardless if you are on Autopay or not. Unless that has changed with the new rewards system...🤔

$              $15
  • 100 minutes Canada-wide minutes
  • +BONUS 250 MB  with AutoPay
  • Unlimited Incoming Calls
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging

I know it states that @BEER , but it is a known that you get this 250mb regardless if you have Autopay or not on this particular plan. Just one of those PM idiosyncrasies. 

Sooooo other then convenience what's the point of auto-pay?

BEER

@darlicious wrote:

@BEER 

Oops of course the $10 plan does not qualify for the autopay bonus so a $15 payment for the $15 plan will net you 0.75 pts with autopay.

Are you sure about the $10 plan? 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@BEER wrote:

@esjliv wrote:

If so, this plan will give you 250MB regardless if you are on Autopay or not. Unless that has changed with the new rewards system...🤔

$              $15

I know it states that @BEER , but it is a known that you get this 250mb regardless if you have Autopay or not on this particular plan. Just one of those PM idiosyncrasies. 

BEER

@HALIMACS wrote:

Yes @BEER 

The new point system will not give you $2 per cycle with auto-pay enabled. It will give you 5% of the plan value which equates to 0.75 of a point, or a measly $0.75 per cycle.

I think just $0.50 on the still active $10 plans regardless if auto-pay or not.

@BEER 

If you add $10 to pay for your plan you will recieve 0.5 pts for autopay points + the 250mb that you get regardless but a higher plan only receives the 500mb autopay data bonus if you are indeed registered for autopay.

Edit:

Oops of course the $10 plan does not qualify for the autopay bonus so a $15 payment for the $15 plan will net you 0.75 pts with autopay.

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

Yes @BEER 

The new point system will not give you $2 per cycle with auto-pay enabled. It will give you 5% of the plan value which equates to 0.75 of a point, or a measly $0.75 per cycle.

BEER

@esjliv wrote:

$              $15

The new points systems has no autopay rewards and limited loyalty rewards versus old rewards system.  

As discussed in many other threads, for most grandfathered customers on old rewards system, it is not worth changing to new points system.  

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

BEER

It seems that with the now point system the only incentive to use auto pay is a measly --- +BONUS 250 MB  with AutoPay.

BEER

Again I do agree with you HOWEVER - to quote part of your post. 

"Mind you my $10 account balance continues to creep upward well past $200 that I have no way of spending".  My $10 account balance is nowhere close to yours but it is close to $50 and like you it does have a few GB of free data, long distance minutes and more that still remained after I switched. I do believe that, as you say, with the present system it just sits there. Soooo in my opinion in such case it is best to switch to the point system where at the very least points may be applied to make many future plan payments.

CUT and Pasting an example.

Ways_to_redem_544x544_PinePark-Lower_Your_Bill.png

Lower Your Bill.    $15 Bill Credit  15 pts

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BEER 

I don't believe we will be forced onto the points system but pm can make changes that either make it more difficult to stay with the rewards system by grandfathering our plans with rewards and offering more enticing in market plans with higher data buckets for lower prices or reintroducing full speed 4G LTE data and/or offering even better point redemption options like phones. Those kind of incentives may convince a far larger contingent of customers on the rewards program to switch to the points program. 

While you say the points program gives you more options for redemption rather than $$ off your plan amount a growing credit or $$ that stays in your wallet will always avail you to purchase whatever add on you want. $84 in your wallet gives you many more options than 16 points ever will. I mean both my accounts pay me every month so why would I want to start paying for something that instead pays me?

Mind you my $10 account balance continues to creep upward well past $200 that I have no way of spending because I haven't even used all of my 1GB data add on gift from August 2019 let alone everything gifted to my account since then so yes it's a bit of a waste but paying cold hard cash for the plan if I switched would be far bigger waste of money for something that is free.....forever or for as long as pm is in business.

I will concede for those with "data" account that remains suspended for 9 months of the year that a guaranteed 10 points ensures that full loyalty doesn't take 20 years to achieve. Points would put you ahead of the game until about year 22 in that scenario. The frequency of lucky draws and it's odds of winning if within a reasonable percentage could be appealing for a new flagship phone but so does $84×10 years=$840 (+about $100 in saved taxes) make for a pretty fine brand new phone purchase of your own choice.

But hey you're now the go to guy for points questions because none of us have a clue how it really works, can test any points possibilities or enter any of the lucky draws?!! You're our resident expert! All I can say now to new customers is let me go get you @BEER to explain how to redeem your points......you may want to meet in the lounge!🍺

@Luddite 

Add ons in the points redemption catalogue with the exception of the $5/500min add on and the $5/200mb data add on offer between a 25% and 50% discount on the regular purchase price.

BEER

@darlicious wrote:

@BKNS27 

Lol....are you being sarcastic?

Of course not ... I did previously explain in length that I do agree with your analogy.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luddite : I think she is referring to the catalogue of things to convert from points. If a point is a dollar then some add-ons can be converted for less than the previous method.

Need Help? Let's chat.