cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedtest Warning and the $15 plan

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I thought I would share my most recent speedtest experience with the community. I barely touched my 250mb of plan data this month and since I regularily suspend my services I usually run a few speedtests on the last day of my cycle. Even though I was late (after midnight et so already renewed but "suspended" according to my account) I decided to run one anyways since the plan data will reset when I do pay and reactivate in about 60 days.

I turned off wifi and checked my account's data usage (5.3mb). Google Ookla and hit "Test". Well imagine the look on my face when that needle jumped past 3mbps all the way up to nearly 250mbps?!! I was so shocked I didn't react and I soon paid the price. A refresh in my account saw my plan data wiped out and that's when I remembered not only had I reset my data limiter for my work Sim card to be inserted but forgot all about my add ons....?

Scrolling down and refreshing revealed another 320mb used for a grand total of 569.88mb of data used for a simple "3G" plan speedtest. You don't always get what you paid for? We will see if that remains that way when I reactivate? I suggest anyone with the $15 or $25 plans who intend to perform a speedtest be prepared to suspend the test and/or have your data limiter set to stop using data if it goes over a maximum of 50mb.

(Can't seem to upload my screenshot of the speedtest (246.3mbps--ping 32ms)

Nor can I reply still?!! Only edit this post. Cheers!

5 REPLIES 5

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@treefrog  useful site (https://www.thinkbroadband.com/download) that has convenient downloads of various sizes so you can control how much data will be used. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@will13am wrote:

Wow this is crazy giving 5G speed to a plan with 250 MBytes of data.  As a rule, I try to avoid doing speed tests.  It's a waste of data and really doesn't serve much purpose.  

It could act a troubleshooting tool but someone with only 250MB very seldomly uses data.  The small amount would be of far greater concern than the speed.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@treefrog 

Geez you're just winning lately? Thanks for the heads up as I tend to run a speedtest or two when I have plan data left over at the end of my billing cycle as well. I gave a nudge to Jade in your "can't reply" thread. I hope that helps?

@hTideGnow 

For reference.....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/I-still-can-t-reply-to-posts-or-private-m...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Wow this is crazy giving 5G speed to a plan with 250 MBytes of data.  As a rule, I try to avoid doing speed tests.  It's a waste of data and really doesn't serve much purpose.  

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @treefrog 

thanks for sharing

But why you cannot reply the post and just edit? if you don't have data, you wouldn't able to reply nor edit?

And you are getting 246.3mpbs on a $15 plan? maybe because it is renewing and the system is not capping the speed ?  Interesting find

And you have no more bonus data from Christmas?

Need Help? Let's chat.