cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam Calls on New Activation?

Pat2023
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just activated my new Public Mobile number and within hours received 5 unknown incoming calls from 4 different numbers all with the 206 area code. The duration of each call was 0:00 and there was no voice message left. I only found this when I checked my Public Mobile usage history and the calls do not show up on my android phone 'Recents' list. My phone did not ring for any of the calls. Is there any explanation for this? Is someone trying to hack my new number or account?   

9 REPLIES 9

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

You'll never avoid it completely, but if it's this bad already and it's a brand new number, change your number now before you've given it out to too many people and it then becomes a hassle to change. 

@Pat2023 wrote:

Thanks. My phone does have Caller ID and spam protection turned on. I assume it worked and Public Mobile usage history still records the incoming call number and date/time it was received. Still very strange that I would get spam calls that quickly just after activating my new number. Maybe the sophisticated fraudsters somehow know when new cell numbers are activated? 

Public Mobile does not screen calls.  The call tracking is not affected by phone app settings on spam calls.  

@Pat2023 wrote:

Maybe the sophisticated fraudsters somehow know when new cell numbers are activated? 

@Pat2023 they don't.. And they don't care.  In some case, they don't even know what numbers were called  The spam callers are pretty much just calling all the numbers in sequence, using system to call programatically, could be as many as 100 per second

You ever got a all saying "it's Tax Canada, press 1"?  If you pressed 1, then a person will talk to you? 

Calls like, before you pressed 1, that part is fully automated.  The system was making the call Only if you pressed 1, it routed you to the live scammer to talk to you.  In your case, if could be that your didn't pick up the call, the system dialer hear a voicemail and simply hang up

Honest, all number has much the chance as being called

Of course, in some case, the previous owner was not "clean".  He could have some debt issue so he has been getting calls all along so he changed number.  He could have put his number in all the "lucky draws" and the number  is stored in all spammer databases everywhere

If it is a new number, if you are not attached to it yet, make a number change.  Pick one on a newer area code , you have better chance it got changed hands less (but again, it is likely still a recycled number)

Pat2023

I got a new number and specifically picked a new area code (368) in Alberta that just came out last year. I believe cell numbers are recycled after at least 90 days but I didn't think my new number would be a re-used one! 

@Pat2023 

just don't answer unknown callers. If it's legit, they'll leave a message.

If you don't answer those scam / spoof calls...they'll diminish in frequency after a week or so. (it is frustrating though !)

Pat2023

Thanks. My phone does have Caller ID and spam protection turned on. I assume it worked and Public Mobile usage history still records the incoming call number and date/time it was received. Still very strange that I would get spam calls that quickly just after activating my new number. Maybe the sophisticated fraudsters somehow know when new cell numbers are activated? 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Nothing you can do about. Spammers do spoof your number and bots do call every number from their list. All is automated these days and blocking a number you might block legitimate number.

I would just ignore calls from unknown to you numbers. Whoever REALLY wants to get in touch with you will leave voice mail.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Pat2023   you got a new number when you activated?

Numbers these days are pretty much reused.  PM has no contorl who calling the number.

But if you don't like this number, request a number change.  You can change up to 4 times a month

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Pat2023 , do you have settings on your phone app to block suspicious spam calls?  Some phone apps are pretty feature rich in screening calls.  On my settings, I do get the ring tone but a spam notification also shows up on the screen to allow me to decide on whether to answer or let it ring and go to voicemail.  

Need Help? Let's chat.