cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Card

Lzakrajsek
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My current phone is dying.  It is a older model Samsung Smart phone.  I have been gifted an older model Huawei GR5 but it is in great shape.  I am on a disability pension and can't afford a lot but definitely need a phone.  My current sim card doesn't fit into the Huawei GR 5.  Am I able to get a new SIM card??  Also, What is the cost?  

47 REPLIES 47

cmobile
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Lzakrajsek wrote:

My current phone is dying.  It is a older model Samsung Smart phone.  I have been gifted an older model Huawei GR5 but it is in great shape.  I am on a disability pension and can't afford a lot but definitely need a phone.  My current sim card doesn't fit into the Huawei GR 5.  Am I able to get a new SIM card??  Also, What is the cost?  

You need use a SIM Card cuter to make your big SIM to smaller sim.  

Go to ANY mobile store, including the Walmart one, and ask then do you a favor. They'll be glad to help you .

s-l300

Also you can use scissors to do yourself, but I highly recommend you do it with sim card cutter. 

@Anonymous 

Its all for future reference my friend......if you don't like something then do something about it. Even if nothing changes as a result at least I know I have tried. I am no armchair quarterback....the community has enough of them already. I'm a firm believer in the hail mary pass......!😎🏈🏆

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Preachin' to the choir. I was just explaining things a bit.

@Lzakrajsek 

Great hear its all worked out for you.....and you have your own personal tech department=your neice. You may run across the odd issue here and there with the GR5 so we're here to help if anything arises.

@Anonymous 

This is the problem with oracles merging threads by the same OP but with two distinctly different questions. Now the more unusual problem that got answered gets no solution for future GR5 owners. Although the original solution has been wiped out it still makes this thread confusing for future readers to learn from.....that's ok it highlights another community issue for my list!😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lzakrajsek : Wow. Did that screen not show up on restarts? Your return with a new thread got merged with your earlier thread that you had already granted a solution (which started some other discussion 🙂 ). Solutions are not a reward for work, they're the answer to the question for any future customers to come across and decide that it's the same problem and to see what the answer was.

@Lzakrajsek 

Here is the help article on how to choose solution:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/helpful-community-tips

Basically, go to the post which helped the most and right lower corner has a Accept as solution icon.  

Lzakrajsek

Found this screen that I wasn't seeing that said the phone was locked.  I then phoned the carrier that my Dad had his phone with (FIDO) and they gave me the unlocking code.  I would like to give you the solution award simply because you were on here for all hours of the night the other night giving me instructions on what could possibly be wrong.  How do I do that?  I don't see that solution button

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lzakrajsek : ....and? 🙂 So what did she do?

Lzakrajsek

Thank you so much for all of your help.  Go figure my 10 year old niece knew exactly what was wrong with it and helped me fix it.  lol.  

@Lzakrajsek If phone is locked to Fido and you don't want hassle of trying to get them to give you the unlock code, the phone can be unlocked  for less than $10 (check ebay). When you put your Public Mobile sim card in and restart phone, does it ask for an unlock code?

@Lzakrajsek 

The Huawei GR5 KII-L05 was released in May 2016. It is very likely that it is locked to fido. If you have access to your late father's fido account # or if not call fido customer service with his name, phone number, address and email (if possible) and explain that you are settling his affairs and would like to have the phone unlocked because it will be given to a family member. Dial *#06# on the phone to retrieve the IMEI # for the phone to give to the CSA to be given the unlocking code.

My condolences on your loss.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lzakrajsek : Well I hope you can feel better. It's just a little learning curve. You'll be an expert in no time.

It's also possible that you could try the other slot in the tray. And to be sure that one or the other or both are enabled.

Lzakrajsek

Honestly I don't even know anymore.  I need to give it up for tonight.  I have a huge headache and feel sick to my stomach.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lzakrajsek : hmm. What's it currently set to? Are you sure you inserted the SIM in the slot in the exact way. There's a notch in the corner that needs to align with the right way in the phone.

Lzakrajsek

Okay I am Mobile Network and I see Preferred network type but it is not letting me access it.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lzakrajsek : Can you get in to Settings? Not sure which exact OS you're on but pull down from the top and some choices should appear. One of them might be like a little gear. Touch that. Or find the Settings icon app somewhere and touch that. Then hopefully you'll have something called Connections and touch that. Then hopefully you'll have something called Mobile networks and touch that. And finally hopefully you'll have Network Mode.

Edit: Or possibly Settings and More then Mobile Network then Preferred network type

Lzakrajsek

I am totally lost now.  I am very basic when it comes to cell phones.  My daughter is taking me to a phone store tomorrow and hopefully they can figure it out.  I am so stressed

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lzakrajsek : Can you find the network mode it's currently set to? ie. GSM or 2G. What you want is something about LTE and UMTS or WCDMA or 4G or 3G.

Lzakrajsek

He was with FIDO.  It is a Huawei Kll-L05

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lzakrajsek : Sorry to hear your loss. Do you recall which provider he might have used it on? Can you get the deeper model #? Like KII or something like that?

Lzakrajsek

Ok.  So I did that.  It is not reported stolen or anything like that.  It is my Dads phone that was just sitting there after he passed away.  I thought I could use it.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lzakrajsek : How about this . You need the IMEI from the new phone. The instructions are on the page.

@Lzakrajsek wrote:

I have all of the pieces.  When I changed the SIM number my old phone went out of service but my new phone that I put the new SIM card in says Mobile Network Not Available.  I don't have a phone now and I am freakin out

I see from earlier that you've switched devices. Is it possible that the device is the issue and not the actual SIM card or Public Mobile service. I suggest trying your new SIM card in another compatible phone if possible.

Lzakrajsek

I did power off the phone and restart it again with no luck

Lzakrajsek

I called up the site but I don't know how to use it???

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lzakrajsek : Did you check devicecheck.ca? Did you restart the phone after the successful completion of the Change SIM?

Lzakrajsek

I have all of the pieces.  When I changed the SIM number my old phone went out of service but my new phone that I put the new SIM card in says Mobile Network Not Available.  I don't have a phone now and I am freakin out

Lzakrajsek

Yes it shows the new SIM card number.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lzakrajsek : Have a look at devicecheck.ca .

So you verified by either text or email and it seemed to finish? When you go into Change SIM again, it shows the new last 4 digits?

Edit: don't forget to keep the frame pieces that came with it all

Lzakrajsek

Yes it gave me a code and I entered that.  

Need Help? Let's chat.