cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Card

Lzakrajsek
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My current phone is dying.  It is a older model Samsung Smart phone.  I have been gifted an older model Huawei GR5 but it is in great shape.  I am on a disability pension and can't afford a lot but definitely need a phone.  My current sim card doesn't fit into the Huawei GR 5.  Am I able to get a new SIM card??  Also, What is the cost?  

47 REPLIES 47

@Lzakrajsek wrote:

I purchased a new public mobile SIM card so I could use a different phone.  I followed all the steps to change the SIM card and it says it is not connected to the network.  Now I don't have a working phone 

Recently, Public Mobile made it necessary for either a text message or e-mail to be repsonded to before the active SIM card could be changed. Was that step also completed?

Lzakrajsek

I purchased a new public mobile SIM card so I could use a different phone.  I followed all the steps to change the SIM card and it says it is not connected to the network.  Now I don't have a working phone 

@Lzakrajsek 

Well I guess I will add my 2 cents worth....a little more than what I earn per hour here...lol!😉 First I will apologise if you got the impression that we were fighting over a solution. Instead we were concerned that info supplied by the current solution holder was the option you were choosng and those of us who posted after you had marked the thread solved wanted to make sure you had all of options available to you.

I can empathize with your situation and the financial constraints a disability pension has on one's quality of life as I am in the exact same position as you are are.....except I live in the city and have an e-bike to get around or I would never be able to leave my house. As a result I am very good at saving money or spending as little as possible on the necessities of life. If you ever need advice on what is available to you for free or low cost private message me.....like are you on the $9.95 per month internet for good program?

If your choice for solution is indeed @softech 's then you can change your chosen solution by clicking on the 3 dots at the top right corner of the post to change/edit your chosen solution.

Wishing you the best......😃

@Lzakrajsek wrote:

@esjliv @darlicious .  I am shocked by the messages here.  I have been a long time customer and have never seen people argue over whose solution got picked.  I didn't know it was a contest.  As mentioned I am disabled.  I do not have a lot of money but I do have mobility issues.  My SIM card is very old and is not a pop out thing.  Nor do I have the ability to be running around to phone stores to get them to cut it.  I don't drive and live in a rural area. @softech  offered me a solution that I could see managing with all of my personal factors.  I guess this community is just like other communities.  Full of conspiracy theories and unrest.  Very sad indeed that all I did was ask for help and got caught up in some sort of argument over why I picked the solution I did.  Shame on you and thank you @softech for helping me so quickly and efficiently.  

@Lzakrajsek   -  Whoa!
Hold on, Let's be clear here...I believe I posted after you already chosen a solution. I was not trying to get you to change your choice what-so-ever.

I simply read your issue and understood you were going to spend more $$ and effort to fix your problem than was needed.

"My current phone is dying.  It is a older model Samsung Smart phone.  I have been gifted an older model Huawei GR5 but it is in great shape.  I am on a disability pension and can't afford a lot but definitely need a phone.  My current sim card doesn't fit into the Huawei GR 5.  Am I able to get a new SIM card??  Also, What is the cost? "

You mentioned you need a new phone and/or a new SIM card which neither seemed necessary, unless I read into that wrong. 

"Once I register it online can I keep my same phone number?? "

If you meant you were going to buy a new SIM and register it (meaning Activate it?), than you will be causing more issues for yourself than intended.

Good luck to you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lzakrajsek : Thanks for the feedback. You didn't provide a whole lot to go on and it seemed you were being steered toward an inappropriate result with little more coming from you.

So you're being rightfully appreciative of softech...why wouldn't _he_ get the solution?

Lzakrajsek

@esjliv @darlicious .  I am shocked by the messages here.  I have been a long time customer and have never seen people argue over whose solution got picked.  I didn't know it was a contest.  As mentioned I am disabled.  I do not have a lot of money but I do have mobility issues.  My SIM card is very old and is not a pop out thing.  Nor do I have the ability to be running around to phone stores to get them to cut it.  I don't drive and live in a rural area. @softech  offered me a solution that I could see managing with all of my personal factors.  I guess this community is just like other communities.  Full of conspiracy theories and unrest.  Very sad indeed that all I did was ask for help and got caught up in some sort of argument over why I picked the solution I did.  Shame on you and thank you @softech for helping me so quickly and efficiently.  

Lzakrajsek

@Anonymous  My sim card is older.  It doesn't have the cut outs as you suggested.  But thank you for helping just the same.  🙂

@Anonymous 

Nah....the OP has been here since 2018....that would take a lot of preplanning.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@esjliv : I'm more than a little suspicious of the chosen solution being a legitimately chosen solution. The "OP" was given all kinds of alternative information but chose that answer. uh huh. I think we might be seeing more shenanigans going on by everyones favourite user here. There was another thread earlier today. Things seem a little fishy.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Lzakrajsek wrote:

My current phone is dying.  It is a older model Samsung Smart phone.  I have been gifted an older model Huawei GR5 but it is in great shape.  I am on a disability pension and can't afford a lot but definitely need a phone.  My current sim card doesn't fit into the Huawei GR 5.  Am I able to get a new SIM card??  Also, What is the cost?  

Hello @Lzakrajsek ,

You may not need a new SIM card.

If you have an older SIM card that is not a 3-in-1 type, then cell shops can likely cut them down to size for you to fit you Huawei, at a low cost, I am sure.

FYI-

Most SIMS are 3-in-1 SIM cards, adaptors can be removed or added as necessary.

esjliv_0-1627525312721.png

@Lzakrajsek 

I am also with @Anonymous on this one....why would you buy a new sim card? You are most likely going smaller in size for the sim card so you can just carefully snap it out of the frame to make it fit your new phone. Keep the frame in case you ever have to go up in size again.

If you have a really old sim card that is one size without the tri-cut framing there are templates available online that you can use to carefully cut out and size your sim card to fit your new phone. Getting larger size frames as @Anonymous has suggested is easy enough or if you are in Vancouver I have extras I could give you.

Its unfortunate that some members are more concerned about getting their solution over providing you with the best solution based on your needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lzakrajsek 

How To Change Your SIM Card, visit Here for more information.

the SIM change functionality has been re-enabled in My Account, now with an additional security step: 2 factor authentication to further protect against SIM card fraud.In order to change the SIM card associated with your account, you must now verify your request through a one-time security code that will be sent via SMS or email.To change your SIM card, please follow the below steps:

1. Log into your My Account
  2. Go to Plan and Add-Ons > Change SIM Card
  3. Enter your new SIM card number
  4. Select where you would like your 6-digit security verification code to be sent to. You can choose to have the code sent to your email, or via SMS to your phone number. If you do not have access to your phone or cannot receive SMS, please select the email option.
  5. Check your email or phone for your security code, and input the code into the page
  6. Click “Verify Code”

Please note: after 5 failed attempts to verify your security code, your account will be locked, and you will need to have your account unlocked and your SIM card manually updated by an agent by submitting a ticket.

1. Once you have verified your code, click “submit” to complete your SIM card change, and you’re all set!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lzakrajsek : I'm not sure why you chose buying one as the solution. You said you were on a limited income. Why spend the money? As mentioned, you can punch out the smaller SIM from the larger frame. Or you can go to a store and ask for their throw-away frames to add the frame if needed. Don't spend the money if you don't need to.

Edit: WHOA! You don't need to activate the new SIM. You can change it yourself in your account. But again...nor do you need to buy a new one and therefor not need to change it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lzakrajsek 

yes you can keep your old number is Activate with public mobile right Now.

Lzakrajsek

Once I register it online can I keep my same phone number??  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lzakrajsek 

if you want to buy it a brand new SIM card .

i suggest you get a NEW SIM card is better for you and fast way

from any Retail store and you buy it right away,

Where To Buy A SIM card,

You can purchase a Public Mobile SIM card at a variety of retail locations. Click HERE 

to open our store locator and find the closest retailer to you.

or 

Too easy buy it online or in store visit HERE , or Pickup 1-2 Hours.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Lzakrajsek  SIM costs $5 on Amazon.ca with Prime membership or some kiosks sell for $10.

DO NOT buy from PM online, it takes 3 weeks to deliver

check if you SIM is those tri-cut one.  There might be "frame" to break it and make it smaller and fit other phones

E-SIM_Tricut

Need Help? Let's chat.