cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to send MMS using non-Smart Phone?

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

Hi,

I have this Alcatel OT 871A phone I have used for a few years with PM. This is NOT a Smart Phone. See here:

https://www.gsmarena.com/alcatel_ot_870-4729.php

I can send SMS text no problem. The phone can also be set up to send MMS but when I try it never gets sent and I get an error message "Configuration Error!"

Nothing I have tried so far works. I have made sure that Data is turned on.

I have the following setup screen with the following entries:

APN = sp.mb.com ( I have also tried isp.mb.com)

Username = <blank>

Password = <blank>

Authorization Type = Normal

Under Advanced Settings:

Homepage = <blank>

Connection Type = HTTP

Use Proxy = No   

(I have also tried:

Proxy = Yes, Proxy Address = 74.49.0.18, Proxy Port = 80, Proxy User Name = <blank., Proxy Password = <blank> )

Primary DNS = 000.000.000.000

Secondary DNS = 000.000.000.000

IP Address = 000.000.000.000

Subnet Mask = 000.000.000.000

How can I get this to work?

18 REPLIES 18

So I have been following this thread and how the solution was taken away and then reapplied (which wasn't me) but did agree with the changing of the solution.  I did change it the last time as the title of the thread was how to send MMS using a non-Smart Phone.  @softech  had provided the answer and a link to a thread that already answered this question, with a slight modification for a different model.  Softech had answered the question.  As everyone that has been here a while knows that self solution is frowned upon.  I will leave this now but still feel it should go to @softech as they got you in the right direction and should have the solution granted to them and you could have then just added that for your specific phone you needed to do a couple of little tweaks.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@pm-smayer97 

Well I could give an educated guess.....but as I mentioned in your other thread let the powers that be make the decision. It would usually go your way....

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@softech wrote:

third time's a charm   🙂

Maybe you are right about that?!   Seems to be holding finally after 24 hours... let's see...

Maybe not so much after all.... it got reverted AGAIN!

@softech wrote:

third time's a charm   🙂

Maybe you are right about that?!   Seems to be holding finally after 24 hours... let's see...

third time's a charm   🙂

@softech wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

Except for some reason the Solution has been reversed TWICE. I do not know why...

you are the starter of this thread, weren't you?  you can decide on the solution...

I have twice.... hence my comment.

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

Except for some reason the Solution has been reversed TWICE. I do not know why...

you are the starter of this thread, weren't you?  you can decide on the solution...

@Korth wrote:

@softech wrote:

You might not be able to set it up .. there is no MMSC, MMS Port, MCC and MNC fields on your APN setup.  

But just for the sake of completeness, some phones will autofill the MCC and MNC and APN Type "defaults" from data encoded on the SIM card, even though Public Mobile doesn't push autoconfigured APN settings.

That is most often true with Smart phones. Though I cannot speak for all other types, this is about non-Smart phones.

@Korth wrote:

@softech wrote:

You might not be able to set it up .. there is no MMSC, MMS Port, MCC and MNC fields on your APN setup.  

The OP already awarded a solution.

@softech wrote:

The OP already awarded a solution.

But just for the sake of completeness, some phones will autofill the MCC and MNC and APN Type "defaults" from data encoded on the SIM card, even though Public Mobile doesn't push autoconfigured APN settings.

@softech wrote:

@pm-smayer97  try setting Auth Type to NONE

there is another post about flip phone and the person got it working with these settings (Home URL should be ok to be different, the poster of that solution confirm he even changed to google.com and it works)

Ref: Re: Unable to receive MMS on Flip Phone - Page 3 - Community (publicmobile.ca)

Set name: Public Mobile 
Access name: sp.mb.com

Auth type: None

Protocol: HTTP

HOME Url: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mmsc

Proxy Address: 74.49.0.18:80

Linger TIme (Sec.): 300

"Advanced" to be left untouched.

That is VERY helpful info and ALMOST the correct solution.... with small differences:

Key differences for my phone is that Auth Type = Normal (no option for None; only other option was Secure) and there is no place to specify Linger Time.

Also, everything from Protocol onward IS in the ADVANCED section of my phone.

So thanks for helping direct me so I can get to the correct solution. 🙂

@pm-smayer97 

My alcatel is a flip phone so the data/MMS just worked. I know @Jb456 is really good at helping with more unique phones but I think the thread that would have helped got archived. But maybe he will check in or I think he checks when he gets a private message....see if he is familiar with your model. Again maybe a configuration file from the moderators would set up your data options in the phone.

@pm-smayer97 Smartphone/feature phone doesn't tell you if APN has to be done manually.  If Alcarel put them in, they'd be there ready to use.

@darlicious wrote:

@pm-smayer97 

It should automatically set up the APN after you insert the sim card. That's how my alcatel A392A works. Do you have another active pm sim card on hand? Try inserting it and see if you are able to send MMS with it. Then switch the sim cards again and see if it keeps those settings. Otherwise maybe texting a configuration file to the phone will work?

This Alcatel is REALLY NOT a smart phone... literally... it seems like all APN related entries need to be created manually AFAICT. I have tried switching SIMS... PM to Telus, etc. No effect.

@pm-smayer97 

You have to just love how vague the instructions are from all alcatel user manuals. Here you go...

Connectivity
Multimedia Message
• Select from a list of preset Data Account:
data accounts.
• Edit the settings for Common Settings:
sending multimedia messages and view
memory status.

Try searching the device help for your model of phone here and see if it tells you how to edit the APN.

https://www.att.com/support/topic/wireless

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@pm-smayer97  try setting Auth Type to NONE

there is another post about flip phone and the person got it working with these settings (Home URL should be ok to be different, the poster of that solution confirm he even changed to google.com and it works)

Ref: Re: Unable to receive MMS on Flip Phone - Page 3 - Community (publicmobile.ca)

Set name: Public Mobile 
Access name: sp.mb.com

Auth type: None

Protocol: HTTP

HOME Url: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mmsc

Proxy Address: 74.49.0.18:80

Linger TIme (Sec.): 300

"Advanced" to be left untouched.

@pm-smayer97 

It should automatically set up the APN after you insert the sim card. That's how my alcatel A392A works. Do you have another active pm sim card on hand? Try inserting it and see if you are able to send MMS with it. Then switch the sim cards again and see if it keeps those settings. Otherwise maybe texting a configuration file to the phone will work?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Need Help? Let's chat.