cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S20 FE VoLTE??

Jim_Bo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My brother and his wife have S20 FE (SM-G781W) phones and want to come to PM to take advantage of better rates and US roaming. Can anyone confirm if the S20 FE (SM-G781W) is VoLTE capable on the public mobile network?

thanks

21 REPLIES 21

abarouni2023

I have the same device and the public mobile network did not support VoLTE on my S20 FE 5G. I switched to the Freedom Mobile and their network supports VoLTE on this device. It varies from carrier to carrier. 

@Jim_Bo wrote:

Got my brother switched over to pm today and just as you stated his S20 FE (SM-G781W) does support VoLTE on the pm network. Thanks for your help. 

That's good to hear. As I was saying before, all of hte S20 FE 5G devices sold through officail channels are SM-G781W, and I knew for certain that ones sold throgh Telus worked on VoLTE at Public Mobile.  It was jsut a matter of if one from Bell would work on VoLTE.  Unfortunately, I suspect you're gonig to find that 5G network connections are blocked at the device software level.

Jim_Bo

Got my brother switched over to pm today and just as you stated his S20 FE (SM-G781W) does support VoLTE on the pm network. Thanks for your help.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

My Blackberry Keyone from 2017 works with Public Mobile VoLTE, and the phone was even from Rogers originally. It even shows supported via the IMEI using Telus's device checker site, even though its not included in the short list on the FAQ page. however this phone didn't do VoLTE while roaming in the US on T-Mobile network. (Presumably due to their own network device allow list) - still worked fine for texting & data though.

Additionally, spouse has a Huawei P30 originally from SaskTel/Bell and it is working on Public Mobile VoLTE as well, and it's also not on the short list included in that FAQ.

As such, I think the FAQ is just a "suggested" list of current models, but is not very extensive. In reality its more YMMV, but I would start by entering the device IMEI in that telus checker site... Unless I'm out to lunch and people are not able to use VoLTE on devices that checker claims should be OK?

Please do let us know the results. Colour me skeptical. I don't think it will work on volte if volte is not enabled here.

HI @Jim_Bo 

and just for backup, make sure they download VoIP app TextNow.  It is an app but you can use it to call and receive calls just in case any hiccup with the voice service

Jim_Bo

Agreed that's the plan, just wanted to be sure their phones would support VoLTE and  if they will be governed by AT&T or t-mobile's  volte compatible list they should not have problems when roaming. (I hope)

@Jim_Bo  If your brother and wife are going to the US for the month it might be best to get one of the CAN /US roaming plans be cheaper then buying two 15 day add ins which require support help for the re buy of the same US add 15 day after the first  one ends or you need to wait 24 hours after it ended without needing supports help , and you get much more data with the CAN/US plan , then when you back home change to cheaper plan for the next renewal . Even thou the US roaming plan is only $50 for 40GB CAN /US 30 days 

Jim_Bo

This is good news in that T-Mobile and AT&T compatible phones will support VoLTE when roaming even though they are not on the PM white list.  I just got back from the US and if I ad it to do over again I would have taken an old phone with me to test this out.   Sure hope this is correct as my brother and his wife are going to spend a month in the US.

hi @dust2dust 

no misunderstanding.   People in US roaming is based on the T-Mobile or AT&T compatibility not PM.  Sorry, I didn't keep track of exact posts but I have good memory 😉

@hTideGnow- Could you please point us all to where customers that are not on volte here are able to use volte in the states? I have not seen definitive proof of that. Or I'm just not remembering. Or I'm misunderstanding your post.

hi @Jim_Bo 

then no worries with roaming. 

The VoLTE compatibility with roaming is based on T-Mobile and AT&T  and not based on PM.  So, the phone will be able to use VOLTE when there. Many tried and confirmed 

Jim_Bo

I agree that VoLTE is not a big deal if you are only in Canada but US roaming without VoLTE sure sucks.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Jim_Bo wrote:

My brother and his wife have S20 FE (SM-G781W) phones and want to come to PM to take advantage of better rates and US roaming. Can anyone confirm if the S20 FE (SM-G781W) is VoLTE capable on the public mobile network?

Despite the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G not beijng specifically on the list that Public Mobile provides, the one sold by Telus and Kooodo (and Public Mobile as a certified pre-owned device) does work with VoLTE for Public Mobile customers.  The "W" version of the S20 FE 5G is the same that Telus sold, although i have no experience with a device sold by a different Canadian carrier.

I don't want to sound overly negative here, although what you say is generally correct it seems that getting punted off of the VoLTE whitelist is totally possible.  Unless we see definitive data on how this whitelist is maintained, we should take a careful YMMV stance.  I should add one more thing, a friend using an iPhone XR is unable to get VoLTE despite the Telus checker saying the phone is on the whitelist.  

IH @Jim_Bo 

unless the voice quality is really poor on 3G, there is really no rush for a new phone just for VoLTE

We saw posts here about poor VoLTE and needs to change back to 3G by forcing it onto 3G networks

so, test it out first

Jim_Bo

I was kind of hoping things had evolved a bit since this original list came out.

thanks for reply

Jim_Bo

thanks..VoLTE is/was the main concern... I will tell brother he may need a new phone but we will give it a try and not port his number till he is happy.

Jim_Bo

Thanks...the phone came from Bell (their current carrier) via Costco. I will assist my brother  later this week and will keep my fingers crossed.

@Jim_Bo wrote:

Despite the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G not beijng specifically on the list that Public Mobile provides, the one sold by Telus and Kooodo (and Public Mobile as a certified pre-owned device) does work with VoLTE for Public Mobile customers.  The "W" version of the S20 FE 5G is the same that Telus sold, although i have no experience with a device sold by a different Canadian carrier.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Jim_Bo  No sorry it won’t , and it won’t even get to use the 5G network even thou its 5G phone . There’s a work around but it’s quite involved , best get s21 or iPhone and thank me later 

Check out my thread on the s20 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Samsung-s20-5G/td-p/1043088

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Jim_Bo 

Sorry, no.  PM is a small list of VoLTE compatible phone and S20 FE is not on the list

you have to have at least S21 FE for VoLTE

but 3G voice still working great for all of us

FYI, here is the list

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

Need Help? Let's chat.