cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations to replace my OnePlus 7T

Ultrahub1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The battery on my cell phone is on the fritz. I'm looking to replace the phone over the next month. My budget is in the $500 range. Any advice is appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Ultrahub1 

is there a Mobile Klinik near your location ? They'll install a new battery for about $100. Check costs at nearby cell repair shops. Battery replacement is much better value than buying another cell.

It all depends on phone's age and OS version.

One of my phones is Samsung S6. Great phone, sleek, in perfect condition. But it is so slooooow and most likely soon some app will stop working due to obsolete OS.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Ultrahub1 

is there a Mobile Klinik near your location ? They'll install a new battery for about $100. Check costs at nearby cell repair shops. Battery replacement is much better value than buying another cell.

maurelle
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@BKNS27 wrote:

@Ultrahub1 

If you or a friend are Costco members. They have the Moto (Motorola) G Stylus 5G for $309.99 or the Samsung A35 5G for $448.99 online but I find prices at the store is slightly lower.

They also have the Moto G Play in 3G and 4G/LTE for $149.99.

My friend have both Moto models but i find the Moto G Play have a slower operating/fresh rate compared to the Moto G Styus.

Just a heads-up, I believe that, at least locally, the available models in the Moto G line-up in Costco's electronic section (not the wireless booth) are the 2023 version. The Moto G Play and the Moto G 5G have seen a considerable spec update for a lower price in 2024, so it's worth waiting/opting for the newer model. Sorry, have not paid attention to the mid range models.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Ultrahub1 

If you or a friend are Costco members. They have the Moto (Motorola) G Stylus 5G for $309.99 or the Samsung A35 5G for $448.99 online but I find prices at the store is slightly lower.

They also have the Moto G Play in 3G and 4G/LTE for $149.99.

My friend have both Moto models but i find the Moto G Play have a slower operating/fresh rate compared to the Moto G Styus.

maurelle

If you can hold on for another couple of months, personally I'd wait until mid August or so and see if there are any back-to-school deals.

One of the reasons I've always gone with BYOD providers was the wider choice of phones meeting my needs and budget outside of the 3 or so overpriced main brands. However, unfortunately, these days I have to agree with the above re: picking a phone from the stupid white list if you want your phone to fully function on Public Mobile beyond 3G sundown, specially if you intend to use US roaming. 

colleeno

@Ultrahub1 I purchased a refurbished phone a few months ago from Second Cell and am quite pleased with it. They carry many different brands and their phones come with a one year warranty.

https://secondcell.ca/en/collections/telephones-usages

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Ultrahub1  Safest is to get something on PM's VoLTE list or a newer version thereof here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte 

and the MMS list, which looks about the same but I haven't gone through line by line

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/picture-messaging-updates 

The only iPhone in that price range is the latest SE which is $579 new from the Apple Store.  But you'd probably prefer an Android anyway.  @softech mentioned a Moto G, I used to have an earlier Moto G years ago and loved it, very good value for money at the time.

anotheran
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Google pixel 7a was $499.97 at Staples. Out of stock now. https://www.staples.ca/products/3069156-en-google-pixel-7a-5g-61-oled-128-gb-charcoal-unlocked

Its the best new phone at that price range

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Ultrahub1 if you want a phone with VoLTE on PM network, then Moto G power would be a good and solid one

if not, a Samsung A35 or a A54 are both good

Need Help? Let's chat.