cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Outgoing texts to #474663

Buffalodon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I contacted Apple and they claim that they have never heard of it before.

55 REPLIES 55

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Buffalodon wrote:

The term the RCMP used was hacked and cloned.

@Buffalodon that's an entirely different thing.  What happened to you is normal behaviour based on your phone's software.  Obviously you're not getting it if you still think you were somehow hacked.  

EDIT: and of course, I've reminded myself of this classic bit from Airplane:

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Buffalodon wrote:

Nobody will accept outrageous accusations without outrageous proofs, here or anywhere else. Strange that the RCMP would voluntarily tell you things they'd tell nobody else outside a courtroom. Especially things they couldn't possibly know. Especially if you haven't already pressed any charges or presented enough proof of crime to get them involved. Especially since it contradicts the answers everyone here (and some 60k search hits on google) have already offered.

But, more to the point, if you seriously don't want to be with Public Mobile then you have plenty of other options. If you intend to continue slander and libel on their own website then I can't imagine you'll accomplish anything useful other than demonstrate the extent of their patience and tolerance. Good luck, lol.

I'm unsubscribing this thread. It's a waste of time. And it can only fade into oblivion or end up ugly.

Buffalodon

srlawren

@Buffalodon wrote:

I guess we will just have to wait and what the RCMP have to say after their investigation.

@Buffalodon hahahahahahahahahaha good luck.  There's zero-point-zero illegal going on.  Thanks for wasting RCMP time and resources (if in fact you did engage them... I'm hoping you're just BSing)

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Buffalodon

I guess we will just have to wait and what the RCMP have to say after their investigation.

@srlawren wrote:

I love that people are still trying to help ...

User activity keeps pushing this "unsolved" "unlocked" thread back up to the top of the list. Much of this activity is from the OP, who evidently determined PM was to blame before even creating this thread. My contributions were meant more to balance the public record than to convince the unconvinceable.

srlawren

I love that people are still trying to help @Buffalodon despite their steadfast [edit: and misplaced] blame of Public Mobile.  

@Buffalodon wrote:

I have solved the problem. I have cancelled my account and I will find a more secure provider. Thanks everyone for trying to help me.

For any new/prospective customers that stumble upon this, please note that this is not a security concern and there is no hacking behind this "issue".  

@Buffalodon hope you are happier at your new provider.  Best wishes.

@Buffalodon  here's a link that may help you removing your device from iCloud.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/how-to-remove-a-device-from-icloud%3famp

Once removed then re-register the cloud back to your device.

@Buffalodon wrote:

I have turned off iMesseges and Facetime and my iCloud is disabled and access turned off.

Maybe turned off or "disabled".

But most likely still running in the background, still able to communicate off-device, still programmed to establish telemetry connections.

Buffalodon

I have turned off iMesseges and Facetime and my iCloud is disabled and access turned off.

@Buffalodon  you have an iPhone. You have iMessage, FaceTime you have an apple account. That means you have iCloud. It's all connected 

Buffalodon

I do not have an iCloud account but thanks for the suggestion.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Buffalodon  this likely won't help you now as you said you cancelled. Anyways this is an iCloud bug that happens to some when you switch from one provider to another provider. To fix the issue unenroll then re-enroll your iCloud account from the device. Not a guarantee but it has fixed the issue for others.

Stay Safe!

@Buffalodon wrote:

Deny deny deny. I have confirmation that it is a PM problem PERIOD. This is not an Apple problem. Like I said I will look for a secure provider that actually has people that you can speak with NOT lay people who have nothing to do with PM. I understand how their system works now  and I will move along to a company with good security. Thanks everyone for you help.

@Buffalodon Why not post what the confirmation is so maybe someone else can learn from it? As for us being lay people, you did contact a non lay person AKA a moderator AKA a Public Mobile employee, right?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Buffalodon 

Soooo...was that Apple pointing fingers "confiirming"? 🙂

Buffalodon

Deny deny deny. I have confirmation that it is a PM problem PERIOD. This is not an Apple problem. Like I said I will look for a secure provider that actually has people that you can speak with NOT lay people who have nothing to do with PM. I understand how their system works now  and I will move along to a company with good security. Thanks everyone for you help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Buffalodon wrote:

I have solved the problem. I have cancelled my account and I will find a more secure provider. Thanks everyone for trying to help me.

Wow. Please watch carefully at a different provider as to whether your phone will do the same thing there. Again...this is your phone...not PM.

@Buffalodon 

lol if you use the iPhone then you'll get the same results on every Canadian and every American provider.

But perhaps your new provider simply won't report automated (Apple) activity on your account, if that makes you feel better.

Buffalodon

@Buffalodon 

Try this.....

Spoiler

Re: $10 plan unlimited incoming texts being charged

@Katt wrote:

Just registered for the $10/month plan. It's supposed to include unlimited incoming texts but it is counted towards my outgoing.  I verified this online when I signed into my account under usage. Help please? 

@Katt  You may find that you have "receive / send receipt" on, and anytime you get a message it sends another message out letting the persons advanced messaging know that it was received or read by you.

Otherwise- If you log-in to self serve and click “View My Usage” you will see the outgoing text and the number it was sent to.

The most common issue is both iPhones usually 474663 (iMessage/FaceTime) and usually 7723 Google (android) phones use SMS to set up things when you first sign up a new number / phone / provider / restart phone.

On Android remove “SMS” permissions from the dialer app which should be labelled as “Phone” in settings under app info or app permissions.

On iPhone you want to disable iMessage and FaceTime (before you insert the sim card or you may still be some sent) if you want to use iMessage and FaceTime there is no way around these messages being sent. It's not public mobile its Apple, complain to them if you want.

Settings -> Messages -> iMessage (Slide to the left so slider background is white)
Settings -> Messages > FaceTime (Slide to the left so slider background is white)

It has been suggested by chris32 here that 474663 is actually location sharing services on apple devices.

How to stop automatic messages.

After a couple of days I found the problem that cause sending messages in background on iPhone and It's not icloud our Android cloud.

Here, how to stop that:

Step #1 : From primary screen: Push on Setting >>> Privacy >>> Location services >>> System Services >>> Share My Location  = Put the button OFF

Step #2 : Go back to Location services (return) >>> Share my Location  = Put the button OFF.

Also send a private message to the moderator team Click this to send them a message with your PIN & Phone number and explain what happened. If your plan is limited 50 texts and they were not done with you it is likely they will offset these messages. There is also a chance if someone sent you a message (even if you didn’t respond) your phone will send a “delivery confirmation” back without your knowledge that will count as 1 of your outgoing text. That should be disabled as well.

Edit: 3rd time lucky to post....this is courtesy of @RobertQc .

Buffalodon

I have already spoken with Apple.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Buffalodon wrote:

I have done all suggested and the hackers are active again today. If I can not resolve this i will cancel and go with another service. Too bad but I ill not accept hackers. Thank you for all the suggestions everyone.

It is the manufacturer of your phone. Not hackers. Take it up with them.

@Buffalodon 

This is from an old thread.....courtesy of @pm-smayer97 

Re: outgoing messages to 474663

What worked for me was a complete reset of my iphone 4S we inherited from a friend... which probably dealt with root casuse like iCloud or Messages.

Probably overkill but it cleared up the texts to 474663.... which BTW spells "iphone" (check it out!).

@Nezgar wrote:

Notice that 474663 spells "IPHONE" on the dial pad?

I've heard of this before - it's something with the phone App on some google phones trying to activate visual voicemail, which Public mobile doesn't offer so it will continuously try and never get a response. Thankfully all current plans offer unlimited texting, so there will be no financial implication and could be ignored.... BUT you have an iphone

To stop this on android , edit the permissions of the phone app and disable it's ability to send SMS messages.

on iPhone i'm looking it up 🙂  seems this other post has some things to try:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Messages-474663/td-p/329481https:/...

"Here, how to stop that:

Step #1 : From primary screen: Push on Setting >>> Privacy >>> Location services >>> System Services >>> Share My Location = Put the button OFF

Step #2 : Go back to Location services (return) >>> Share my Location = Put the button OFF."

@BuffalodonI don't think I saw if you tried checking the settings in my previous post yet?

PS: It's not hackers - its just Apple's iOS trying to "Call Home", (Hence those numbers spell IPHONE on the dialpad) and the phone is confused because of the SIM card swap or something...

Change your phone number...it is free to do every 30 days. 

Buffalodon

I have done all suggested and the hackers are active again today. If I can not resolve this i will cancel and go with another service. Too bad but I ill not accept hackers. Thank you for all the suggestions everyone.

@Buffalodon wrote:

My account activity and my time here and on my phone is 3 hours difference. The account time is ahead of my time.

@Buffalodon 

Are you out here on the wetcoast? Text messages sent and recieved are recorded in the eastern time zone. Calls in/out that are answered are in local time( pacific time in bc.) Calls to your voicemail by you are local time. By someone else forwarded to your voicemail are in eastern. Data in this section is updated in twice daily buckets unless not used. The overview page is updated almost immediately.

You could always install an overwatch, "stingray" IMSI catchers, snoopsnitch.

To report, capture, intercept, or deny all sorts of radiocommunication to and from your phone that you didn't initiate and you didn't authorize.

The better apps can poll "hidden" information about who's really sending those short code texts.

Need Help? Let's chat.