cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchased 5G but only get LTE

Annoyed104
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently upgraded 2 iphones to the 5G service but only one of them gets 5G...the other only gets LTE even when they are sitting side by side.  What Gives?

8 REPLIES 8

Annoyed104

They didn't have the same options.  I clicked the 5G Auto button on the one that wasn't working and now it works!!!!

Thanks so much for the suggestion.

@Annoyed104   My iPhone 13 gets 5G no problem.  If you go to settings - cellular - cellar data options - voice and data, do they both offer the same options?

@Annoyed104  Can you swap the SIM cards in the phones see if  it’s the same ?? Assuming you have physical SIM cards for both 

Annoyed104

No...both iPhone 14

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Annoyed104 

Are the iPhones 5G compatible?

If there are then you can set the Cellular Data Options to 5G Auto, 5G or LTE.

Go to Settings>Cellular>Cellular Data Options>Voice & Data>5G Auto.

5G Auto will switch from 5G to 4G depending which signal is stronger and also save battery life.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Annoyed104  is one of the phone Samsung s20 by any chance ? 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@Annoyed104 wrote:

I recently upgraded 2 iphones to the 5G service but only one of them gets 5G...the other only gets LTE even when they are sitting side by side.  What Gives?

hi @Annoyed104 

a quick check is to swap the sim cad and see the phone without 5G earlier will have 5G or not with the other sim card

for the one without 5G , update the OS, update the Carrier profile.  And change the network mode to 5G On (instead of 5G auto) to force the 5G connection on all the time (not a preferred settings as it might use more power)

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Annoyed104   What phones are they?  Not all can get 5G, if one is earlier than iPhone 12 that would be why

Need Help? Let's chat.