cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Flip Phones.

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I recently ordered a budget and easy to use flip phone on Amazon for an elderly lady who just needed it for emergencies and incoming calls however it wasn't compatible with Public Mobile since it was 2G and I had to send it back and order an Artphone 4G Flip Phone which worked better but was quite a bit more expensive.

Alternatively I am wondering where I can find the cheapest and most basic flip phones that are compatible with Public Mobile. Where do I begin to look and what wouldn't work?

I remember Public sold a flip phone at one point, where could I get those?

I have my eyes on grabbing 2-3 Alactel Go Flip 2 for $29.99 each on ebay, would those work?

8 REPLIES 8

@Priority wrote:

Update: I found a great source for Flip Phones under $100 now and they work incredibly well with Public Mobile. They are called Maxwest Neo Flip Phones 

It has all the same features you mentioned @LitlLdy and a little more. 🙌

s-l1200.jpg

@Priority , ohhh 👏🏻, send me the info!

Priority

Update: I found a great source for Flip Phones under $100 now and they work incredibly well with Public Mobile. They are called Maxwest Neo Flip Phones 

It has all the same features you mentioned @LitlLdy and a little more. 🙌

s-l1200.jpg

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@Priority , I bought the ZTE Cymbal 2 flip phone in December when PM still sold them & one for my elderly neighbour. It’s very basic. Works great for phone calls. As long as someone doesn’t want to text its fine. It doesn’t have speech to text like some of the other flip phones. It has a radio which I love. I actually plugged it into my wireless speaker when my electricity went out for 13 hours, which made me a happy camper to not have dead silence all night. 😆 No flashlight on it. Like some flip phones have. It depends on what you’re looking for. J_PM said it is still compatible here. I saved the PDF of the user’s manual & will send it to you to look at it to see if one would be good enough for them! 

Edit: Theres better quality flip phones out there though. 

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@Priority Before you purchase phone,  make sure the phone you want to buy is work with PM, check this website to make sure:

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/CA

HI @Priority 

what is your budget? there are quite some flip phones to buy around.  BestBuy usually carry 1 or 2 in the store

And Telus has 3, you don't have to buy from Telus, but get that exact model number and buy accordingly

https://www.telus.com/en/mobility/phones?sessionFlow=consumer&linkname=Phones&linktype=ge-meganav

ZTE Cymbal 2

TCL Flip

they are both compatible one

And yes, don't buy from US, many of those are 2G or 3G only

Priority

I don't think they'd carry Flip phones, and even if they did the retail price would be more expensive than I am looking to pay for a few units. 

I am okay with Recommendations of Specific devices if anyone knows or has one that works with the network. 🙂 

maple_leaf
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @Priority ,

Public Mobile has teamed up with Mobile Klinik for phone repairs. Mobile Klinik also sells certified pre-owned phones that are compatible with the Public Mobile network. See link and page image below. Hope this helps.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/mobile-klinik

Screenshot 2023-08-23 21.17.59.png

You can also find this link at the bottom of this Community page under Get Help > Device Repair

@Priority wrote:

I recently ordered a budget and easy to use flip phone on Amazon for an elderly lady who just needed it for emergencies and incoming calls however it wasn't compatible with Public Mobile since it was 2G and I had to send it back and order an Artphone 4G Flip Phone which worked better but was quite a bit more expensive.

Alternatively I am wondering where I can find the cheapest and most basic flip phones that are compatible with Public Mobile. Where do I begin to look and what wouldn't work?

I remember Public sold a flip phone at one point, where could I get those?

I have my eyes on grabbing 2-3 Alactel Go Flip 2 for $29.99 each on ebay, would those work?

It's all about network type and frequency compatibility.  Be careful going just by model name.  Phone companies sometimes have more than one variant of similarly named models.  You'll need to make sure that the phone support at least 850MHz and 1900MHz on the 3G network.

Need Help? Let's chat.