cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting number away from public mobile unsuccessful from public mobile's end

k_winterstein
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

1) My auto bill was February 10th, which I disabled because I didn't want to get billed extra
2) Received the port text message on my old number yesterday and replied yes on February 9th
3) Fido says the port was cancelled on public mobile's end when I called this morning

Now what? I'm not about to pay $15 + tax because you guys didn't port the number properly even through I replied Yes...

I cannot believe there is no customer support with this company other than some public forum 😞

21 REPLIES 21

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

Except the OP isn't handling the port the fido customer service agent is handling the port that's their job. The majority of ports complete in a couple of minutes the OP should have been sent to the community looking for answers the night before not the next day if there was incorrect info entered. The new provider is responsible for porting in the number the only issue you may be asking the old provider is if the PAT wasnt sent otherwise fido is solely responsible for not following up with their porting department as to why the port was not completing in a timely manner.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@darlicious wrote:

Honestly I think the fido agent sent the port request in and went home for the night

From what I learned in Community, porting should be automatic with no human intervention? How come so much trouble with this one?

@darlicious wrote:

@softech 

Honestly I think the fido agent sent the port request in and went home for the night and when they came in to work in the morning to finish setting up the account by assigning the number to the account they realized their mistake. 

@darlicious 

isn't the whole process of porting automatic?  once a YES received, the port triggers by itself?

@darlicious wrote:

But virgin gave her the incorrect account # so despite replying YES to the PAT after half an hour I called the telus porting department who informed me the account # was incorrect as it had too many numbers.

wrong account number but can still trigger the PAT????  I thought it is all confirmed before the PAT would send out to the correct phone number

But this is interesting.. if that is the case, then it could be OP gave the wrong account number, PAT still came, OP replied .. but now PM did the final check and found out phone number and account # not matching and hence cancel the port.. if that is the case, OP was the one to blame

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

Honestly I think the fido agent sent the port request in and went home for the night and when they came in to work in the morning to finish setting up the account by assigning the number to the account they realized their mistake. 

The M-I-L left her number port from virgin to the last day not realizing that I had to activate her sim card thru CCS first so by the time I had finished that and set up her self serve account it was already 5pm pacific. But virgin gave her the incorrect account # so despite replying YES to the PAT after half an hour I called the telus porting department who informed me the account # was incorrect as it had too many numbers.

So I used the IMEI of her phone and again replied YES to the PAT. Another half hour passes and I call telus again who said virgin was refusing to accept the IMEI. So I asked the M-I-L for her 4 digit pin#. This time no PAT at all!  As we found out she gave completely the wrong account pin#.

My third call to telus occurred at 7:55pm while she simultaneously called virgin between the two agents and the two of us we were able to get the PAT sent out  a third time and the port request authorized and the number released by virgin once the virgin agent found the correct account #.

The M-I-L confirmed her old address that she had just moved from and it all matched with the IMEI and a very understanding and patient telus porting agent that stayed late to ensure the port would be completed before her virgin account spended at midnight eastern (9pm pacific). Unlike pm there is no grace period at virgin if your payment is not in your account by midnight eastern your account is suspended then and there.

I believe an automatic release of a pm number for a port request would occur until at least 2am eastern when plan payments are taken ( when on time) and likely right until 6am eastern when suspensions for non payment occurs.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@darlicious   yes,  I missed the date in the beginning

I was wondering if it is because the PAT reply was 7:02pm, which the account was already flagged as Plan Expired.  During Plan Expired, sometimes we cannot do much , like buying add-on, right? or at least it behaves a bit weird.  I wonder if it is because of that so PM didn't release the line, or cancelled the request

but oh well, why leave porting till the very last day, anything can happen.. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@k_winterstein 

I am curious who ended up "paying" to get you ported out to fido?

@softech 

I don't know how you read this one (or misread it at one point!...lol) I sure would like to know how it turned out? The way I see it the blame can be spread 3 ways with 98% of it squarely laid at fido's greedy paws. 1% with the OP for cutting it close to the wire to port and not taking any personal responsibility to ensure his port completed given the tight timeline. 1% on pm for possibly not releasing the phone number in a timely enough manner...... maybe since I am highly suspicious of old dogs up to their usual tricks I'm giving fido too much credit!🤔

Where and when did the port request "time out" and why? The OP did his minimum duty by replying YES to the text in a very timely manner. Fido made the port request and pm sent the PAT. So why did the port fail? Did the OP supply fido with incorrect info so pm refused to release the phone number?I have yet to hear of anyone complaining they replied YES to the PAT and nothing happened...only if incorrect account information is given (I had this issue porting in the M-I-L.)

When this occurs contacting the porting department (in this case fido/Rogers porting department) to correct the misinformation is essential and you don't wait 2 hours to do that especially when an account service suspension deadline is looming. Given that fido is a full service provider that handles the porting for the customer the onus was on fido to handle any issues that may arise with the port getting "stuck". 

That would mean fido should have contacted the OP if incorrect info was supplied by the OP for pm to release the phone number to fido. But that is not what occurred as the port "timed" out as the OP described was the reason the port was refused by pm. Assuming that was because the pm account was suspended due to non payment.

Since releasing the phone number once a customer authorizes the port request is almost automatic on pm's side its up to fido to accept the relased number before the pm account is suspended for non payment. Note the timeline :

1. Around 7pm eastern fido submits the port request to pm.
  2. At 7:02pm eastern pm recieved the port request and sends the PAT to the OP.
  3. Seconds after receiving the PAT the OP authorizes the port by replying YES to the PAT at 7:02pm eastern.
  4. Pm releases the phone number shortly after 7:02pm eastern to fido after receiving YES texted from the OP in response to the PAT.
  5. The OP's released phone number awaits in released number purgatory for fido to claim it and assign it to the OP's new account at fido which will then allow the incoming calling on his fido sim card to work and his pm sim card to stop working and pm account to automatically cancel.
  6. The telus porting department closes at 11pm eastern. What time does the fido/Rogers porting department close?
  7. Pm account renewals occur at midnight eastern. But they are not suspended as pm has no idea that the account' s payment method will fail at 2am eastern.
  8. At 2am eastern the autopay fails. Services are still working as account suspension for non payment occurs at the earliest at 6am eastern.
  9. At 6am eastern the OP's account is suspended for non payment and pm reclaims the OP's phone number that has yet to be claimed by fido and keeps it assigned to the now suspended account.
  10. Sometime after 6am eastern fido requests the release of the OP's phone number that they had sent the port request for nearly 12 hours earlier and are refused because the port request "timed" out once the OP's account was suspended for non payment at 6am eastern.
  11. By 9:45am eastern at the latest fido contacts the OP to tell him the port of his number failed due to pm refusing to release the phone number because the port request "timed" out.....and to contact pm about why the port request was refused and get the number released to fido.
  12. The OP posts at 9:50am eastern in the community to find out why pm refused the port request that he had authorized some 12 hours earlier the evening before his renewal 5 hours before payment was due to renew his plan and 30 day cycle.

Isn't it frustrating having to deal with a provider that you can't call and only offers 24 hour online assistance via the community and whose customer support is only available from 6am eastern to to 10 pm eastern? Providers that offer call centres and agents to handle your activations and port requests provide much better customer service than the "astonishingly bad company" pm.

@k_winterstein wrote:

no softech, just no. You're clearly not paying attention.

That's the text from yesterday.

Yes, no excuse that I missed.  Sorry for that.

So, is your account Active now?   Was PM renewed with Autopay yet?  

I would get the porting completed first, then bring this screenshot to PM attention and ask for a refund

So, if account is active.  Open a ticket with PM and see what happened.  They might ask you to re-request the porting.  If that is the case, then call Fido and ask them to re-trigger the process.  Then you will reply again and should work this time

Once account is ported, come back and discuss with PM about refund

@k_winterstein wrote:

@softech I believe today is @k_winterstein renewal date, Feb. 10/22. 

So, if funds were not available to renew this morning, it would not be active.

OP was hoping to get this all straightened out yesterday on the last day of the cycle.

k_winterstein

@k_winterstein wrote:

No no, this is complete BS. I called the number and they said the port can't be completed because the account is not active. It was active at the time I completed the port from my end of things. Here's the message was received and responded to. What happened on Public Mobile's problematic side is not my responsibility. 

I'm not paying you guys another $15 + taxes because you screwed up the port.

Proof for everyone to see before considering Public Mobile and all the hassle here without any sort of phone customer service! Be warned about this kind of provider behaviour.

Service Cutoff Complaint with the CCTS also already filed. Look at me having to jump through hoops to get my number which I own ported away from Public. Wow.

Screenshot_20220210-112409_Messages.png

@k_winterstein   you are on the right track now.

After you reply YES, it will take around 30 minutes to 2 hours for the porting to complete

Honest , at this moment it is more a Fido issue and not PM (unless PM cancelled the porting again)

So, put your Fido SIM in the phone, power it up.  From landline or another phone, try calling your cell number and see if Fido Sim rings.  No worry if not, just keep reboot the phone every 30 mins and it should be good very soon

@k_winterstein wrote:

No it was to Fido. I was told it was "timed out", which as you can see it was not.

@k_winterstein  - yes, i know it was to Fido. Still, this can take a few hours to complete.

The night before your renewal, your account goes into a status that may have affected the porting process here.

Please submit a ticket with CSA (links already provided previously) and explain to them what happened.

k_winterstein

No it was to Fido. I was told it was "timed out", which as you can see it was not.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@k_winterstein  - that text was send last evening Feb. 9/22.

It is normal for porting from one cell phone provider to another to take 2-3 hours to complete.

Your account was due to renew on Feb. 10/22. 

Anything could happen when porting, maybe you entered your Public Mobile account number incorrectly, this would delay the normal 2-3 hours porting time. I am not saying you did this, I am just saying you were cutting it close.

If you were porting the Public Mobile number to a landline/voip, you were have probably definitely been outta luck, as those take longer.

We are all customers/members like you here. Did you submit a ticket with the Public Mobile Customer Support Agents (CSA)?

Methods to contact them here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

Plead your case, nicely, and maybe they can help you out here. 

k_winterstein

CCTS Service Cut Complaint # 00000001203231

Wow look at me now thanks to Public Mobile's screw up, wasting a whole day of my time without service now and no customer service to call other than a port line that doesn't actually help... To top it all off they want me to PAY THEM for their screw up.

Astonishingly bad company.

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@k_winterstein wrote:

Hello,

1) My auto bill was February 10th, which I disabled because I didn't want to get billed extra
2) Received the port text message on my old number yesterday and replied yes on February 9th
3) Fido says the port was cancelled on public mobile's end when I called this morning

Now what? I'm not about to pay $15 + tax because you guys didn't port the number properly even through I replied Yes...

I cannot believe there is no customer support with this company other than some public forum 😞

RELAX - everything takes time - give it at least 24 hours before you hissy fit.

k_winterstein

No no, this is complete BS. I called the number and they said the port can't be completed because the account is not active. It was active at the time I completed the port from my end of things. Here's the message was received and responded to. What happened on Public Mobile's problematic side is not my responsibility. 

I'm not paying you guys another $15 + taxes because you screwed up the port.

Proof for everyone to see before considering Public Mobile and all the hassle here without any sort of phone customer service! Be warned about this kind of provider behaviour.

Service Cutoff Complaint with the CCTS also already filed. Look at me having to jump through hoops to get my number which I own ported away from Public. Wow.

Screenshot_20220210-112409_Messages.png

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@k_winterstein  - your Public Mobile account needs to be active to Fido. The porting may have still been in process when your account went into suspended status this morning.

For future reference, best to give it as least a few days prior to plan renewal to ensure there are no bumps in the road when porting to another provider.

Hopefully, customer support can let this number get ported for your without reactivating the account by adding another $15 to it. But this sounds like the timing may have affected the process.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

1. Remove autopay ASAP

2. Remove your credit card info from PM ASAP

Then PM will not be able to bill you on next renew date and your account will be suspended (NOT deleted!)

In the mean time contact agent or call PM's porting number I am sending you in personal mail.

@k_winterstein   PM Support is all online and they never hide this fact.  It is this reason they save a bit in operation and they passed the saving to our plans as well. 

The support model might not fit everyone, but it works out well for others.  Yes, different providers have different level or support.  You are moving from PM to Fido now.  So, open a ticket with PM and get this sorted out first  🙂

k_winterstein

Thanks supported a "support ticket" but wow this company is a complete frustration to work without customer service.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@k_winterstein wrote:

Hello,

@k_winterstein   Public Mobile support is all online.  This is a public forum, but you are in the right place.  We all try to help and get you to support staff as soon as possible

So, you did reply YES yesterday from PM's text?  And they canceled the porting?  So, your PM Sim is still working?  

Best is to contact PM Support to understand what happened.  Please open ticket with this direct link:

https://urlshortner.tiia.ai/Lc9xk8

Or you can Send a private message to the CS Agent here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox, envelope on the top right, after ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply and work with you  via messaging there

Need Help? Let's chat.