cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical SIM to E-SIM for someone who switches between smart phone and "dumb" phone...

banana22
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello good people of the Public Mobile universe,

I have two phones, and I switch my SIM between them. I typically use my "dumb" phone (a Punk MP02) during the week, and on the weekend I use my iPhone. My iPhone 8 died, so I got an iPhone 13 Mini, not taking into account that there isn't a physical SIM slot!

Is it possible to trade 1 SIM back and forth, ie turn on the eSIM on my iPhone, and then turn it off when I use my dumb phone? My second question is how do I set up the eSIM? Do I purchase a new one?

Thanks in advance!

11 REPLIES 11

Wayworn
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Perhaps I got wrong info but —-Since the OP couldn’t find a simple to locate sim tray then perhaps Apple did  eliminated the trays in the late model IPhone 13.

Cut and pasting below.

iPhone 13 models and later also support two active eSIMs. iPhone models without a physical SIM tray support two active eSIMs. 
******But then it is also states the following. Who knows and really who cares ha ha . 

iPhone 13 models and earlier also have a SIM tray for a nano-SIM card—you can use a nano-SIM card from a carrier. iPhone 13 models and later support Dual eSIM.

BUT NOW I’m confused *****
On my iPhone 12 I do have an active eSIM and a physical sim. However in settings it shows an option to add an additional eSIM . According to apple specs iPhone 12 does not support dual eSIM *** so what gives???

@Wayworn  Go to the apple site. Late model 13 have dual e - sim only .

I just did and I don't see that.  It says dual sim, either nano and esim, or two esim but it doesn't say only esim.  Mine is one of the last iPhone 13 mini's, Apple doesn't sell them any more, and I can assure you it has a PM nano sim in it!  I'm wondering if the iPhone 13 mini that @banana22  has been modified in some way since presumably it wasn't purchased new.

slusagm
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

yes, only iPhone 14 and 15 in US are esim only.  I am not sure iPhone 13 has any option for esim only

but yes, Canada has dual esim/physical option

So, what kind of iPhone 13  @banana22  has? esim only?

Really? Must be in the US only. Even the 15 in Canada still takes physical sim AFAIK.

Wayworn

Go to the apple site. Late model 13 have dual e - sim only .

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@banana22 - 13 mini still has physical SIM card, the 14 does not in the states version.

Wayworn

Carefully examine the sides of your new phone again just in case you missed the little SIM card eject  hole . Also why not use your nice iPhone 13 all the time?

UPDATE: Did a google search and I think that you are correct. Late model iPhone 13 have dual e-sim capability and may not have a physical sim slot. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@banana22 

I am surprised that your iPhone 13 mini doesn't have a SIM tray. Apple only switched to dual eSIM on the American  iPhone 14 and iPhone 15.

It is less hassle using the SIM if you are switching it between phones.

You can't switch eSIM between phones like the SIM.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@banana22   I have an iPhone 13 mini and it has a sim slot, as @DennyCrane  noted.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

iPhone 13 mini should have a physical sim slot.

sorry @banana22 

no, only 1 active sim, regardless or esim or physical.

so, if you want to switch phones back and forth, you will need keep using the same physical sim, no other workarounds.  Sorry

Need Help? Let's chat.