cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone switched off in Europe

Kootenaigirl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If I switch my phone off before leaving Canada and take it to Europe will I still receive voice mail messages or will Public Mobile still know that it is in Europe and it will have no service therefore no ability to leave a voice mail.

I ideally don’t want to leave my public mobile phone plugged in in Canada continuously for several weeks while away. 
 I will have another phone in Europe that I can use to check my public mobile messages on so my main PM phone would never be switched on. 

12 REPLIES 12

@Kootenaigirl wrote:

I will just keep my current PM plan in Europe as it is the $15 one, thank you for the information. 

HI @Kootenaigirl , Good call. This you don't have to worry about missing the 90 days

But if possible, try to go to My Account every month to confirm Autopay didn't fail and account is active.  In case it shows suspended, first try a manual payment.  if any problem, come and ask for advise.

Enjoy your trip

Kootenaigirl

I will just keep my current PM plan in Europe as it is the $15 one, thank you for the information. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Kootenaigirl 

How long will you be in Europe? Here are the options for your pm service while you are overseas...

Spoiler
  1. You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
  2. If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
  3. Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. Moderator/CSA contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually.
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
  5. If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost.
  6. Switching to the $15 plan with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward your pm number to your voip # (such as fongo or textnow) before you leave Canada.. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your voip # while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card) You can access your voip #'s voicemail for all voicemail messages. Or use your voip # to call home or check pm voicemail if suspended via lost/stolen as above.

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account. Happy travels and Stay--Safe!

To contact customer support :

Submit a support ticket via Simple--Simon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you prefer or cannot submit a support ticket you may send a private message : Click here 

To pre-verify add in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # & 4 digit account pin #

Kootenaigirl

Thanks everyone.

HI @Kootenaigirl 

Yes, you need to add US roaming if you want to have PM service in US.  

If you're calling him while you are in Canada...You should be able to leave vm while he's in US. Just dial his regular number until prompted to leave vm.

He should also be able to receive text messages while in US...but he won't be able to respond without the right add-on.

Kootenaigirl

I should add that I believe when we are in the States and haven’t added on the US package on my husband’s phone which is switched on, when I call it you do not get the option to leave a voice mail and I think it doesn’t even connect, just dead air. 

@Yummy wrote:

PM does not provide any service outside of North America.

Your vmail will still be able to receive and keep messages. You can check them if you find a way to call for free Vmail access number.

Mailbox might have capacity limit but I am not aware of it.

Voicemail

At Public Mobile, all of our plans include voicemail, call display, and conference calling. Our Voicemail includes:

• Your choice of standard or personalized greetings
  • Space to store up to 10 messages (up to 5 mins long each) Voicemail messages will be automatically deleted after 10 days.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

PM does not provide any service outside of North America.

Your vmail will still be able to receive and keep messages. You can check them if you find a way to call for free Vmail access number.

Mailbox might have capacity limit but I am not aware of it.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Did you just renew? You can check your messages with your other phone in Europe and as long as you keep on top of your vm mailbox you can access the messages the whole time in Europe, but you would either need to renew at your next renewal if you are still in Europe or if your next renewal is only a few days from the end of your trip, you can go into your account and put your phone as lost/stolen and you will still be able to receive emails and when you get back a few days later or whatever you can reactivate your plan

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Kootenaigirl   There is no PM roaming service in Europe.

If you need someone able to text you , use a VoIP app.   But you won't receive 2FA text on VoIP app.  Banks won't send 2FA to VoIP numbers

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

You messages will accumulate (for 10 days) while phone is turned off ..even whilst you're in Europe. Your PM service won't work while you're in Europe so you'd have to use a different phone with LD calling to check your messages.

Need Help? Let's chat.