cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone cuts out inside house

GD3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I and my wife are on a 3G plan. Our phones cut out when inside our house with a metal roof. Would changing to 5G help?

10 REPLIES 10

There's no wifi calling feature here unfortunately. The speed has no bearing on reception. For calling, you can set your phone to 3G UMTS WCDMA and see what you get. Texting and data would also work there. You could keep it on 4G LTE (and the rest). If it's currently on 5G then maybe leave it on 4G anyway.

@Meow wrote:

Radio wave is the same for mobile phone. Difference is the data speed.

Your metal roof might perform as Faraday cage blocking signal. Try to be close to window when using mobile phone. It might (or not) help.

I did some searching and found no specific data that confirms cellular impact from metal roof.  

@GD3  both your phones have VoLTE and compatible with PM and likely using it now.

Try to either disable it, if the VoLTE toggle is there, or change the network mode to 3G to let the voice use 3G

GD3

Thanks for the link. There is a Telus tower close to me.

GD3

Thanks for your response. There are places in the house that are more reliable, but outside in the backyard, we have perfect reception. 

So increasing speed, will not likely help a reception issue?

GD3

Hello, this problem has just occurred to both of our phone. It started about 2 months back. I use a Motorola G stylus 2022, my wife has a Pixel 6. 

I tried to turn on Wifi calling in Settings but get an error message from Telus saying function not available. 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Radio wave is the same for mobile phone. Difference is the data speed.

Your metal roof might perform as Faraday cage blocking signal. Try to be close to window when using mobile phone. It might (or not) help.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@GD3 , check the cell towers in your locale.  It might be that there are no towers nearby.  

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?lat=52.000000&lng=-97.000000&zoom=4&type=Roadm...

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@GD3 

ehat brand and model of your phone is? wonder if it supports both VoLTE and 3G

and it is always a problem or just happens lately?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The 3G, 4G, 5G naming is all about speed. I would say you have a reception problem exacerbated by the metal roof. Can you find sweet spots around the house? Or just windows? Or just facing one direction?

Need Help? Let's chat.