cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Number Transfer

amywang2019
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've tried to transfer my number to another provider. They have sent transfer requests but none of them have gone through. They said cannot find my phone number, but I my account and my number are both active. They said I need to ask Public Mobile to manually verify it, but Public Mobile doesn't have a customer service number.

Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9

@softech- But it's not obvious as evidenced by all the porting questions we get. It seems obvious to me from all the wording that one puts in the new sim and wait for the confirmation.

Just so it's understood...I'm commenting about the wording around here...not you.

Adding -

This is the wording in the second step on the activation page:
If you are transferring your phone number, you will need:

Your account number from your old service provider or your existing mobile phone

Your original SIM card & active service with your previous provider so that you can receive a number transfer request SMS

1. Yup got both. check
2. Yup right here in my hand and yes it's active. I'll await the text.

Then in the porting page after you've entered all the boxes and excitedly want to continue activating...the small print:
For Additional Security

After activating, the previous service provider may send a text or email to validate the transfer. Follow the instructions in the message within 90 minutes to approve the number transfer. Click here for more information

Important: Make sure your old SIM card is inside your device, after you have completed your activation. Do not replace your old SIM with your Public SIM until after you have responded to this security message.

1. They bold the word may. Ok...a disclaimer.
2. Now finally in that same small print below everything else we get the one line that matters. People gotta read. Clearly they don't.

It seems obvious to me that activating a sim should need the sim in a phone. You have your new sim, you turn off the phone and pull out the old sim and put in the new one, restart the phone and start activating. Obvs.

@dust2dust asd the reference back..

haha..I would assume its obvious PM will send the text to PM sim and that requires the customer to leave have the PM sim in the phone..

@softech- In that entire copy of the get help page or wherever you got that from, nowhere does it say that the text goes to the phone with the Public sim in it.

@amywang2019- Good. You have the Public sim in. Go back to your new provider and ask them to re-trigger the port request. Then you should get that text. Then you reply to it. I believe Public will send a text again saying it's all done or you can wait for incoming calls to work on the new sim after putting it in after replying to the text.

Hollister
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@amywang2019 

Contact your new carrier and try to port again. Double check your PM account number in self service. Keep PM sim in phone.

@amywang2019 one second, it is not an authorization code you are waring for

you are waiting for a porting authentication text and you need to reply YES,  that's all you need

update: Add ref:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

Transferring Your Public Mobile Number To Another Service Provider

To help protect our customers from fraud, Public Mobile will send you an SMS text message should we receive a request to transfer your mobile phone number to another carrier. This step is designed to protect your account by confirming if the request is genuine or fraudulent.

The SMS text will read as follows: 

Public Mobile message: We’ve received a request to transfer this phone number to another service provider. To approve this request, please reply “Yes”. If you did not request this transfer, please reply “No”. Please note that you must respond within 90 minutes. If we don’t receive a response within this time, the request will be automatically cancelled. For any issues with this number transfer, contact our Porting Team. Thank you.

If you have made a request to port your number to another carrier and have not received an SMS from Public Mobile to confirm your request, please open our chatbot via this link. This will put you in touch with our Customer Support Agents who will be able to assist you.

amywang2019

Yes, my account is active

amywang2019

Hi,

I did give my account number to them.

I just switched back to my PM SIM card, I got a message about the authorization code. Should I provide the authorization code to my new provider?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@amywang2019 did you provide your new provider your PM account number?  

If yiu want PM support because of the missing text, please open ticket with PM support here then:

https://urlshortner.tiia.ai/Lc9xk8

If you have made a request to port your number to another carrier and have not received an SMS from Public Mobile to confirm your request, please open our chatbot via this link. This will put you in touch with our Customer Support Agents who will be able to assist you.

Hollister
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@amywang2019 

Is your account active? Can you call 611 to see what the status of your account is?

Need Help? Let's chat.