cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment extra for PST even though I'm residing in Edmonton, Alberta where there is no PST

Sabiha123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm in AB (Mountain time zone) last 2 years and just noticed I'm paying PST too. When I bought this phone, I was in BC(Pacific time zone), which is changed in my account. How can I get back my credit?

Also, I paid my monthly payment and my account shows active, but my phone was not active

15 REPLIES 15

Hi @Sabiha123 are you in city or rural area? could be a network problem where you are.  Reboot phone and try it in different area and you should see it connects again

778 is a BC area code which means it's subject to BC taxes when you pay using autopay or use the registered credit card to buy add-ons.

The voucher idea is a great workaround. In fact that would work for everyone if they know someone in AB that could buy the voucher and give you the code.

@Sabiha123 

You need to pick a new number with area code 825, 587, 780 or 403 for tax free on your bill.

But for the small amount for taxes…is it worth changing?

@Sabiha123 wrote:

Unfotunatley, this means that the higher tax than you expected is being charged at the correct amount.

@Sabiha123 

Try rebooting your phone by powering off the phone then power back on.
Also check to see if there is an outage in your area:

https://istheservicedowncanada.com/status/telus/map 

Sabiha123

Why my phone is not getting service network even though it shows active in my account when I paid the monthly charge?

Sabiha123

HI @pmbc 

no voucher are not GC, shops will add appropriate tax on top 

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@wetcoaster wrote:

Adding to the above:

The only way to avoid paying PST on your BC number is buying vouchers at physical stores (Shoppers, London Drugs etc) in Alberta.

PST is applied at Point of Sale, so the AB store will just add GST on vouchers.

If payments are charged automatically to your credit card from your account the Point of Sale is the province your area is located at. So you'll pay BCPST and GST.

Do vendors charge PST/GST/HST for these PM vouchers in prov's beside AB?  They're not treated like gift cards?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Sabiha123   you cannot get back the charged they charged you PST.  it is not a problem with PM, they just charge you based on the phone number

However, for ongoing, you can by voucher and then load voucher as a payment method. When you buy voucher in Alberta, they won't charge you PST

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

@Sabiha123 wrote:

How can I get back my credit?

PM will not refund you any money particularly not applicable tax if your number is in province charging HST (PST+GST).BUT you reside in other province.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Adding to the above:

The only way to avoid paying PST on your BC number is buying vouchers at physical stores (Shoppers, London Drugs etc) in Alberta.

PST is applied at Point of Sale, so the AB store will just add GST on vouchers.

If payments are charged automatically to your credit card from your account the Point of Sale is the province your area is located at. So you'll pay BCPST and GST.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Sabiha123 

your phone number is a BC number?

PM charges tax based on the location of the phone number, not your home location

so, unless you change your number to an AB number with AB area code, you will be paying PST 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Sabiha123 

The taxes in your account is related to the area code on your account. You need to change to an Alberta area code for no taxes.

PM is a prepaid service so unfortunately there are no refunds.

BTW, please note that you can’t just change the area code and keep the last 7 digit of your number.

You can only pick what is available on your account in your Profile section.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Tax is applied based on your Phone Number not address you provided.

What area code is your number?

Need Help? Let's chat.