cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overcharging

William14
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have recently cancelled my Public Mobile account because of very poor service and other difficulties. I was in Mexico for 5 months and never used my phone. In Dec. 2021 I got an add-on of 300 minutes thinking I could use the phone there. I was mistaken on that . In Jan. 2022 I tried numerous times to remove that add-on since the phone was NEVER turned on at all. Your web site would not allow me to cancel that add-on. In frustration I then removed my credit card to cancel my phone. I returned to Canada and on April 4 I contacted you to reinstate my service at $26.88/mo. I see on my Visa that you also charged me an extra $189.28 - for what ? not using my phone ? Please contact me at my email address. 

5 REPLIES 5

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

One issue I can see..if you didn't turn OFF autopay while you were gone, your regular plan renewals occurred as if all was hunky dory. In hind site...You should have taken steps to turn OFF autopay...PM has no idea if you're in country or not.

As far as the 300 minute add-on goes...it's up to the user to be aware of the limitations of it. PM assumes you have read about and understand how it works. Once you've purchased the add-on...you can't remove it.

As a rule..there are no refunds. It looks like any error that occurred were your errors. The service you paid for, was provided.

IMO, you haven't demonstrated "poor service" in your querie.. looks to me more like your poor understanding of how PM works while away from Canada. That's not a crime...but I don't think it's up to PM to refund you due to it. You can ask but don't be bummed out if your request for refund is rejected.

My suggestion to you...just before you go to MX, downsize plan to cheapest available ($15 / 30 days). Get a free app such as TextNow or WhatsApp. Using wifi, those 2 apps will allow free texting and calling to /from most any Cdn or US number. Most resorts, hotels and diners have free wifi, you might have to ask for the password.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Were you on autopay?

If you were in Mexico for 5 months and you were Not on autopay and your account was not renewed every 30 days then your service with PM has been cancelled and your account has been closed. PM account gets closed after 90 days of no payment.

Check your credit card charges are they really from PM? Your card might be compromised and fraudulently used by somebody else.

Over here you are talking with customers like yourself and to contact agent your any of two options provided in previous post.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

If there was no payment and your phone wasn't used at all your account would have been suspended, and if suspended for over 90 days, you would have lost your account altogether. If you were on autopay for the entire time that would be about 130 and change in charges plus any add ons which is getting closer to that 189 figure. If your account is still able to be accessed, it means that you didn't go beyond the 90 days and therefore would have been charged at least a few times. Best bet is to sort this out with a CSA so you can get to the bottom of the charges.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

What happens when you insert your sim in a phone and call 611? Can you log in to your account?

The only way to remove add-ons is through the support people.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @William14   

For charges from before, even you never use the service, PM won't be able to provide the refund as this is prepaid service

But with the $189.28 charges, you should ask and have them confirm.  Please open ticket with PM Support:

At : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot. Follow this to get to ticket open screen quicker:

1. start by typing : Contact CS Agent
  2. then Click "Contact Us"
  3. then Click "Other"
  4. finally Click "Click here to submit a ticket"
  5. you will then direct to another page to open ticket.

After ticket is submitted, make sure to check your Community Inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically for response from PM's CS Agent

If you have problems submitting a ticket, you can also send a private message to the CS Agent (but this can take longer):
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.