cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emergency calls only

rmm2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I paid $20 for roaming services + data and also am using a wifi connection in the US. however, I keep receiving a message that I am not connected to a network and can only make emergency calls. I can't even access voice mail.

10 REPLIES 10

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@rmm2   You can try rebooting the phone or toggling airplane mode on/off too.  Or even just removing the SIM for couple of minutes and reinsert and reboot. 

As mentioned earlier, make sure you've enabled roaming.

It is very hit and miss due to the 3G issue etc....I would recommend a local prepaid option or voip apps as it seems to be much more reliable and cost effective.

none3265: This is all in transition. It might be that sooner than later Public will stop selling talk roaming. Data and text can still work but not talk until such time as volte works for roaming. AT&T has already started shutting down the old 3G but some areas may still work. T-Mobile will start in July. It would be advisable to not let the phone automatically connect to a network. Manually select T-Mobile and turn off automatic and leave it.

none3265

I had a similar problem.

I was in the US for almost two weeks and the roaming was very unreliable. sometimes it worked very well and sometimes it would only connect for a minute before disconnecting and then attempting to reconnect. This cycle would go on for hours until it finally connected. No issue with signal strength as I had full bars. I was unable to select any provider other than T-mobile. I believe the sim card was locked to that provider.

Apologies for a rant but this really appears to be some sort of authentication with T-mobile. It would work reliably for a whole day and then, while i was in the exact same location, work totally unreliably the next. When I was on Bell, my service ... it just worked 100%. If Public Mobile is to sell a roaming package they need to make sure they work.

I am requesting a refund.

rmm2

Android.  

Hi @rmm2   which phone you have? iOS or Android?

rmm2

How do I manually connect?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @rmm2   Try to manually connect to T-Mobile or AT&T.  Manual connect and not Automatic

See which one works better and you can leave it there 

And make sure you allow Mobile Roaming Data on your phone

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@rmm2 

Are you connected to at&t? Try switching to T-Mobile. When is your renewal?

To contact customer support : Submit a support ticket via SIMon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you cannot submit a ticket via SIMon then Click here   ....for additional member supplied info.

Need Help? Let's chat.