cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of Data

Muncey
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I got notice that I am out of data (5gb on my monthly plan). I have never gone over data before and I am struggling to see where it all went. I 9 pages of data and usage info that I brought up from May 12th to present but most are phone calls and not web. What I see of web would not put me over my limit. What am I missing? I use wifi everywhere I can including home. I did not download anything that I know of.

Thanks for your help.

31 REPLIES 31

@Muncey wrote:

Yep, I had to go by day because when I sorted by Usage it didn't show me 1/4 of the entries. Looks like I got a rogue app making a once a dayish download.

You could have some app doing daily backup..

@Muncey wrote:

Android. I assume that is just the amount of data Ive used connected to my home wifi and other places I connect to their wifi. Not sure how to find where it tells me what is using it when not on wifi. Been searching but no luck. Tells me what apps used on wifi only so far

If Android, look for the Mobile Data Usage page on your phone, something like this:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Out-of-Data/m-p/829818/highlight/true?lig...

you just need to change the Start billing cycle date to match your current cycle start date ( I think you said 11th?)

That is the best way to check from your phone.  It shows you how much used and which app used the data and how much the app used

Muncey

Yep, I had to go by day because when I sorted by Usage it didn't show me 1/4 of the entries. Looks like I got a rogue app making a once a dayish download.

Well that comes to almost 3gb...and so on.

Muncey

I guess until I figure out what is causing a large chunk of data each day I may as well not buy more data or it will be gone in a blink. I think I need to renew around the 11th. Going to be a long 10 days hahaha

Muncey

Android. I assume that is just the amount of data Ive used connected to my home wifi and other places I connect to their wifi. Not sure how to find where it tells me what is using it when not on wifi. Been searching but no luck. Tells me what apps used on wifi only so far

@Muncey wrote:

I went on my phone's data usage and it says between may 4th and june 1st I used 8.23 GB of WIFI Data.

That wouldn't count my Public Mobile Data would it?

Public Mobile would not be aware of your Wi-Fi usage, assuming that your phone's Wi-Fi is being provided by an internet connnection not associited with your mobile service.  So no, it doesn't count as Public Mobile data usage.

@Muncey wrote:

I went on my phone's data usage and it says between may 4th and june 1st I used 8.23 GB of WIFI Data.

@Muncey   Are you on Android or iPhone?

if it said Wifi, then no, those are not Mobile Data

Muncey

@Muncey   you are on iPhone?  As I said, it is easy to track back for Android.  But iPhone has no such feature.

Muncey

It looks like every day there's 2 web data entries usually.
For example :
May 12th 0.7772mb and 165.76 mb

May 13th 0.961mb and 152.441 mb

May 14th 358.331 mb and 1.377 mb

May 15th 1.239 mb and 217.517 mb and 338.382 mb

May 16th 4.023 mb

May 17th 1.653 mb and 626.229 mb

May 18th 549.059 mb and 2.102 mb

May 19th 1.271 mb and 427.291 mb

and so on.
Most of the time stamps on the larger files are either in the 12 pm-ish range or some in the 6 am-ish range. All when I am at work and not on my phone. So it must be an app???

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Perhaps there's a rogue app using up all your data, can you go to data usage on your phone and tell us what is the app data usage? @Muncey 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Muncey  - if you are close to your renewal date and can wait for more data, then great. But if you need data, purchase the 1GB addon for $15 to get you by.

Purchasing an Add-On? Be sure to:
1. Add funds to your account, if you don`t have sufficient funds  

2. Go back to the Add-Ons page and select your Add-On.

@Muncey wrote:

When I go to my usage page I can select a default of 7 days or select up to 90 days.

@Muncey   Check my screenshot above.  Click on the radio button below "Last x days" and you can pick the start date.  

Sorry, calculator out   🙂  

Muncey

Thanks, guess I better get the calculator out lol

Muncey

When I go to my usage page I can select a default of 7 days or select up to 90 days.
My plan reset on May 11th. So If I select May 11th to June 1st will I have to add up manually all the mb's for web?

I am on a samsung and no wifi assist or adaptive wifi turned on.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Muncey it does appear you used up the full 5gb according to what you are showing here.

Note that the detail usages with all those cumbersome pages to scroll through are not updated immediately (like the overview section would be). The details can take 6-12 hours to update in the list. So, try checking tonight or tomorrow morning to see if you have large chunk used up from today.

Install an app to track your ‘live’ usage so you can keep track. Public Mobile are 30 day plans (not monthly).

Since you are Android, try Data Witness app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detailsid=com.iwik.datawitnesspm&hl=en_CA&gl=US

I use this one myself and it gives me what I need from it. I like this because I can set it to whatever levels to be notified at and it is easy to change these settings whenever I want.

Managing Your Data Usage in help articles for any other tips:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

Muncey

As soon as it shut me off I checked my background apps, I have almost all disabled to use mobile data. No red flags there at all 😞

@Muncey wrote:

It will not show me my usage except in the line by line of every phone call , sms, and website in mb's day by day

@Muncey  Login to My Account and click  View My Usage

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/

(or you can use this direct link after login https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/viewUsageChangePlan/

There you can examine your Web usage, but you have to make sure you add it from the beginning of the current cycle date

DON"T Trust the sort, it look sorted but it is NOT.  You really have to go through each page and add up all the Web traffic

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/viewUsageChangePlan/           . - .      Sample screenshot only.  Remember to hide real phone numbers   https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/viewUsageChangePlan/ . - . Sample screenshot only. Remember to hide real phone numbers

Muncey

It will not show me a total, says once it is used it dissapears

Muncey

It was the direct message from public mobile via text and after the message came through I couldn't use any data.

@Muncey   Yes, it looks like data are fully used

You really have to check your Usage page and confirm the usage.   Curious, how many days into your current cycle?

Again, are you on Android or iPhone

Confirm if you have Wifi assist or Adaptive Wifi turned on.  Those are convenient but data eater features 

Muncey

It will not show me my usage except in the line by line of every phone call , sms, and website in mb's day by day

Muncey

I got the text telling me I am out of data and it would not let me do anything unless I went to where I could use wifi.

I am using android. I am aware it has its own usage meter too, but this is public mobiles messages and not letting me use data with the warning I am out.

Muncey

View my Usage page shows :

Data & Add-On Usage

Usage for Phone Number xxx*xxx*xxxx
Voice Minutes
 NameVoice Limit# of Minutes UsedRemaining MinutesStatus
500 one-time Int'l LD bonus5001499Active
If a feature is not listed above, it may have been fully consumed and no longer available for use.

Muncey

On my Overview page it says :

• My Data & Add-Ons
    If a feature is not listed below, it may have been fully consumed and no longer available for use.
  • Data & Add-OnsAmount Used
    500 one-time Int'l LD bonus
    1  /  500 MIN

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Check what your account says used/total_available.

Sometimes SMS regarding data are not that accurate.

Be aware of background app's usage. Some apps are Internet hungry...

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Muncey   Yes, you are on the right trick, you need to check the Web traffic on My Account.  Just make sure you filter the date from the current cycle start date (a reminder, PM does not start the cycle on the same day every month)

Another way to track is to check from your device if you have an Android phone, check the Mobile Data usage page, change the cycle start date to match PM's and you can quickly tell how much data you used since the beginning of the cycle

E-MobileData.png

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Muncey hi are you actually out of data or just received a text? sometimes they are sent in error whats it say in your account under data and add ons

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Make sure the settings on your phone are correct. You may have a artificial data cap set up on your Android assuming you're on a Android phone. 

Need Help? Let's chat.