cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opting out of public points

teaston5
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am thinking about signing up for public points and saw that there is an option to opt out but that you won’t be able to re join. If I join and then decide it’s not worth it and want to change back to the old points, will I lose my old points (loyalty, friend, and auto pay point)?

28 REPLIES 28

Sophie19811
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
  • Yeah, you're right. We'd better look on the bright side.

@Sophie19811   You are on the new system already?  Yes, it's definitely not as good as the old one.  But think positive, join the Jackpot.  It's real. So, if you win a free iPhone, that would make up with all the lost savings   🙂

Sophie19811

I wish I had seen your post earlier!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@MrAtheist 

Do your homework before you bounce. The big three and their flanker brands are all selectively targeting legacy (grandfathered), migration promo plans, low cost/low usage plans and even in market unlimited data plans for price hikes ranging between about 10% ($10) for the flashy 5G unlimited plans, around 15% ($5) for the middle of the road data plans priced between $35 and $55 and 30% or more for the bare bones or pay as you go plans. PC mobile has gone as far as to change their $100/year minimum top up plan to a $10/month minimum +usage plan. 

While it's unfortunate that you were hoodwinked into joining the Public Points program if you are on a $40+ plan your 5% in points back offers equal or better value than the $2 autopay reward. You have only lost the value of your loyalty reward. You can make up that lost value with a few more referrals, spending a little more time in the community contributing value when you can and taking advantage of the redemption discounts offered on most add ons including the 10 day US Roaming add ons.

It's a little more work on your part but you can still get public points to pay out, pay off or pay back points to lower your plan amount to a $0 bill.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

MrAtheist

thats a shame, even with a $40+ plan theres much better alternative out there... time to bounce ☹️

@MrAtheist wrote:

@CS_Agent any roadmap to bringing back the OLD rewards for those who want to switch back from the NEW rewards plan?

Please realize that the change is permanent. The old rewards program won't be coming back.

MrAtheist

@CS_Agent any roadmap to bringing back the OLD rewards for those who want to switch back from the NEW rewards plan?

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@teaston5 wrote:

I am thinking about signing up for public points and saw that there is an option to opt out but that you won’t be able to re join. If I join and then decide it’s not worth it and want to change back to the old points, will I lose my old points (loyalty, friend, and auto pay point)?

Based on what PM said, you can join Points then decide to opt-out BUT opting out you will be opting out from ANY kind of rewards: No coming back to old rewards, no ability to rejoin Points.

Norm21

I have been with pm for a year now and am really pleased with the service. I have been actively soliciting others to join to grow the $1 each per month discount I would receive. I signed my wife up on February 11 22. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Norm21 

If you activated your wife's account before January 25th as you seem to indicate by saying that the autopay reward is in the transaction history then your wife is in the now grandfathered rewards program. When pm launched the new points program they also removed the rewards section from your self serve account into a new rewards/points account with the same login credentials as your self serve account. Within this account you can view your current rewards, compare your rewards to the points program and click the option of switching to the points program but it is an irreversible decision and not recommended with the current cost/benefit analysis.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Norm21

I recently switched my wife over from Telus to take advantage of the $2 auto pay and the $1 per month I will receive. She was happy with her Telus plan and very reluctant to switch. I guess I should have read down through these comments before proceeding with her switch. The $2 auto pay is no longer on my overview sheet but is reflected in my pay history.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : So it seems to say according to the OP.

So, funny eh, you can't opt out of the Rewards system, you can only change over to the Points system, which I guess is a form of opting out. But you still have to go through the Points system to get out. And then you can opt out of the Points system which apparently says that's it, you're out.

So I guess Mr. Authoritarian will have me kicked out tomorrow because he'd be campaigning non-stop with the others and Jade to shut me up because he has it out for me because I speak the truth all too often. Authoritarian's don't like truth-tellers. Makes them look unsavoury. So this might be my last night.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@teaston5 

JUST DON'T DO IT.✔

@Anonymous 

Once you opt out of the points program your out. You get nothin'.

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BKNS27 : Funny thing is, as HALIMACS pointed out, both kinda work. 🙂

Or .... maybe not.

LOLOL

Thanks for clarifying @BKNS27   😂

@Anonymous @HALIMACS 

LoL just fixed it. I hate auto spell on my phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HALIMACS : I could live with that interpretation 🙂

@Anonymous , I didn't get that same context from @BKNS27 post.  (though i get why it's as confusing as some of @HALIMACS  own prior use of negatives and double negatives... 😒)

I believe they meant that when the OP is going back to login to "Rewards system" site, all their rewards will be converted to points.   They did start their statement with ".... there is no turning back."

Anywhere close @BKNS27 ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BKNS27 wrote:

@teaston5 

Once you join the Points system, there is no turning back…you can't go back to the Rewards system and all you rewards will be convert to points. You will also get points for Add-ons cost and can enter into a draw.

Fixed it for ya.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@teaston5 

Once you join the Points system, there is no turning back…you can’t go back to the Rewards system and all you rewards will be convert to points. You will also get points for Add-ons cost and can enter into a draw.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@teaston5 

What plan are you on, and do you frequently purchase add-ons over and above your normal cycle plan amount?

If you're on a $40/cycle or LOWER plan & you don't buy add-ons regularly, you're MUCH BETTER off on the old reward system.

Advice would be to not entertain a move to the new system if the above holds true.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

If you join Now, the only option is to participate in Points rewards. No more 'old rewards scheme' for new subscribers.

Old customers currently with old rewards scheme have an option to switch to Points. BUT! there is no return once switched.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@teaston5 : With all these other posts...maybe I misinterpreted. You are on the now old grandfathered Rewards system. If you opt in to the new Points system then you can't go back to the old Rewards system.

But I interpreted your mention of the opt out option of asking whether you could go back to what will then have become, your words "old points" system. To which I wondered if that may be possible as we don't yet know that fact. My guess would be not. And you mention that it says you can't.

But certainly not the old Rewards system.

Please note the use of the specific keywords.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@teaston5  If you considering, this is a quick summary and hope to help you to make the decision:

in summary  

1.  $2 Autopay is no longer there and replaced with 5% ,  you get less (but you get 5% for your other Add-on purchases as well)
  2. No more Loyalty reward, so no more $1/month up to $5/month.  Instead, they only give $10 every year on the anniversary. 
    So, for someone with PM between 13th to 24th months:
               old reward program will get $12 on that year compare with $10 on the new system 
    So, for someone with PM between 25th to 36th months:
               old reward program will get $24 on that year compare with $10 on the new system 
    for someone with  PM between 61th and 72th month (and same after this point)
                 old reward program will get   $60/year compare with $10/year on the new system 
  3. You can no longer apply $1 or $2 you got to the bill right a way, you have to collect enough to 15 points to cash out $15 in one shot

On the other hand, the goodies for new system,

- 5% Points back for add-on purchases as well

- add-ons are around 33% cheaper when you redeem with Public Points
- you can use 1 point for lucky draw, so, technically you bet $1 and can win an iPhone

VIP_Tech
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @teaston5 

if you join new reward is not allowed to going back to old reward.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @teaston5   once you left the old system, you are gone for good.

So, make your choice wisely. (most of us stays for a reason  🙂 )

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a one way street or nothing. No going back.

hmm although maybe one could opt back in to the points system in the future. hmm But not the original rewards system.

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@teaston5 

It's the opposite. The option is to opt-in, and doing so is irreversible.

And yes, you will lose all old loyalty accumulated so far if you switch (it will be bought out with a one-time payment). Your referrals will remain, but your autopay discount will disappear.

Need Help? Let's chat.