cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving calls from blocked numbers

sruder
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello! 

I need help with managing blocked numbers / No Caller ID calls.

My doctor's appointments happen over the phone. The doctor calls with "No Caller ID." The calls go straight to voicemail. I do not have the opportunity to pick up. 

Thank you for your help! 

16 REPLIES 16

@sruder wrote:

Thank you! I did check – I do not have "Silence Unknown Callers" switched on

@sruder You need to also ensure Do Not Disturb is off, and/or Silence Notifications with the side slide switch is also off.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@sruder just to be sure you don't have any inadvertent call forwarding setup, dial each of these codes: (like a phone call)

##21#

##004#

I also agree forcing phone to 3G (aka WCDMA, UMTS, or HSPA) may help with some cases of missed incoming calls.

Lastly do you have access to a landline or anyone else who can test calling you with their number blocked?

To block outgoing caller ID for one call on a landline, usually dial *67 prefixed before your phone number. For a mobile phone, prefix #31# before your number.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@sruder wrote:

Hello! 

I need help with managing blocked numbers / No Caller ID calls.

My doctor's appointments happen over the phone. The doctor calls with "No Caller ID." The calls go straight to voicemail. I do not have the opportunity to pick up. 

Thank you for your help! 

@sruder 

Check the settings on your phone.

You may have it set to Block All Callers except those who are listed as Contacts on your Contact List.

sruder

Ok, thank you! I changed the 3G setting. I think I am missing all calls from number that are not already contacts in my phone. I will see what happens with this week's appointment. 

And, yes, "silence unknown calls" is not enabled, so that's not it.

@sruder 

You have an iPhone? Yes? A member with an iPhone like @LurganIeUk  can help correct my missteps here....but you may need to reset your conditional and unconditional call forwarding settings and/or the voicemail number in your settings.

Here is a link to a post by @Nezgar  that includes how to reset your call forwarding options to default settings....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Out-of-service-area-or-on-Airplane-mo...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sruder wrote:

Thank you! I have rebooted the phone, but it is still not working. 

I followed your link suggestion, but I am not clear on why I changing LTE options on my iPhone would change who can call me. 

The doctor did call and it went straight to voicemail.

@sruder 

you need to try manually selecting network "3G ONLY" 

for iPhone visit Here link 

or Here link 

and do Rebooting your phone 

and test it,

for any Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors.

@sruder 

The reason to change to 3G only is that voice calls are running on 3G , not LTE.  By changing to 3G only, the phone does not have to flip the network from LTE to 3G when a call comes, which sometimes delayed the process and missed the call, hence the call went to voice mail.

To change to 3G only on iPhone

1. Select Settings.
  2. Select Mobile Data.
  3. Select Mobile Data Options.
  4. Select Voice & Data.
  5. To enable 3G, select 3G.

Do you know if you missed other calls too or just the doctor's?  If you missed other calls, too, the 3G only trick can help.  But if just doctor's calls only, it might be something else

Did you check the Silent unknown caller flag I mentioned earlier?

sruder

I am not worried about unknown or no caller ID calls. I am not trying to screen or ignore. I want the opposite – to receive them!

This is my first month with Public Mobile, but I have not changed my phone. I used to be able to receive calls from my doctor.

sruder

Thank you! I have rebooted the phone, but it is still not working. 

I followed your link suggestion, but I am not clear on why I changing LTE options on my iPhone would change who can call me. 

The doctor did call and it went straight to voicemail.

sruder

Thank you! I did check – I do not have "Silence Unknown Callers" switched on

@Anonymous wrote:

2. Business chooses to hide their number.

Doctors and teachers like to call with the phone number hidden.  I understand teachers might be calling from home.  But for Doctors, in this "Medical checkup from Home" era, get a new phone line (you can get a cheap line from Public Mobile) and call without hiding your identity!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see two sides of this silliness.

1. Recipient chooses to ignore any unknown callers.

2. Business chooses to hide their number.

Ridiculous.

Just answer the dang phone! It's not gonna kill ya. So it's a telemarketing recording. Hang up. So it's a live person selling something. Hang up. So it's a scam phishing and tricking you. Recognize it as such, know the rules of engagement for the legitimate outfits...hang up.

@sruder 

You need to turn that setting back on (or off). At the very least do so on the days of your appointments. You are given an appointment time. Turn that setting on a half hour before your appointment. The chances that you will other unknown callers is that half hour to one hour period before your doctor calls is very low. Re-enable the setting after your appointment is finished until your next one.

@Nezgar  can suggest other options for this setting that will allow you to screen calls and not miss your calls from your doctor.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sruder 

can you try manually selecting network "3G ONLY" or WCDMA only,

for iPhone visit Here link 

or Here link 

for android visit Here link ,

and do Rebooting your phone 

This is quick and simple,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

or can you try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and do again Rebooting your phone,

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@sruder 

Are you on iPhone?  If so, did you check if any chance Silence Unknow callers was turned on?

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT207099Detect and block spam phone calls – Apple Support (AU)

Also, just want to confirm, your other incoming calls are receiving without issue as long has it is not "Unknown caller"?    In case you have issue with other incoming calls, try changing it to 3G ONLY 

Need Help? Let's chat.