No service yet despite activating my simcard

Fahim1990
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have activated my simcard but there us still no service 

what should i do? Ples i need your urgent help

34 REPLIES 34

carmenleung

The transfer process can take up to 2 hours to complete for a mobile phone number if you are switching between providers with an existing number. If not then you would need to purchase a plan first. Recently did this and it took about 1.5hrs before a call went through. The texts took a bit longer. 

@Anonymous 

"For crying out loud....."

This nit picking has got to stop.....who freaking cares if I slightly misquoted @softech's comment I was merely pointing out to both of you that the suggestion of a factory reset could do more harm than good but yet you are unable to acknowledge this.....yes the OP currently has no service but that may be easily fixed with the phone in its current state. A factory reset could eliminate that possibility. Then the OP is sitting with a phone that doesn't work and won't work and a service paid for that they can't use. As I said some services is better than no services. But it seems you would rather the OP has no services as long as you are correct or no services and you have been proven wrong.

We are here to help others or in this case the OP not to stroke ones own ego. So take my advice and when you are given help to improve your ability to help others just take it!!

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Fahim1990 wrote:

I have activated my simcard but there us still no service 

what should i do? Ples i need your urgent help

@Fahim1990  

Some questions and/or things to try here:

Is your phone locked? Contact your previous provider to unlock it for you. You will need your imei number, dial *#06# to get it.

Check if your phone is blacklisted here: https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Set up your phone number On your iPhone:

1. Go to Settings > Messages and make sure that iMessage is on. You might need to wait a moment for it to activate.
  2. Tap Send & Receive. If you see “Use your Apple ID for iMessage,” tap it and sign in with the same Apple ID that you use on your Mac, iPad, and iPod touch.
  3. In the "You can receive iMessages" section, make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected.

Go to Settings > FaceTime and make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected in the "You can be reached by FaceTime at" section

@softech 

As is the iPhone can be set up for call and text....some services is better than no services. 

@darlicious wrote:

@softech ....as there is harm in doing so.....

@darlicious   i understand your point.  I dunno, for caution , yes.. don't do it.

but it really sound to me that OP didn't do much on it.. 

as to " if a former users Apple id is required for initial set up."   , if it is a phone OP bought from someone outside of friends or family, then OP rather know it now than later.

anyway.. hope OP comes back and tell us how far he is at the setup of the phone.. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

Thank you. Thus suggesting a factory reset is premature as it will leave the OP without a working phone. I would edit your post suggesting a factory reset. Same goes for @softech ....as there is harm in doing so.....

@darlicious 

no the say Won't hurt. check it...and anyway OP has No service.

@Anonymous 

Thank you. Thus suggesting a factory reset is premature as it will leave the OP without a working phone. I would edit your post suggesting a factory reset. Same goes for @softech ....as there is harm in doing so.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

I helped set up my @grumpyneighbour with an old iPhone that had the previous owners Apple id still on it. Since the phone was mostly for emergencies data was not a concern so we set it up for calling and texting only. I personally don't know what state an iPhone once factory reset with someone else's Apple id on it is left in.....so that's why I say leave as is.

@darlicious @Fahim1990 

for any iphone has a apple id account if set up,
once factory reset with someone else's Apple id, that device is will be locked and the owner need to put it a email and password to open that device or if know owner can remove it by website apple
when signin and remove that model of account and be fine,

but my hope the OP not getting that device fom someone don't know..

@Anonymous 

I helped set up my @grumpyneighbour with an old iPhone that had the previous owners Apple id still on it. Since the phone was mostly for emergencies data was not a concern so we set it up for calling and texting only. I personally don't know what state an iPhone once factory reset with someone else's Apple id on it is left in.....so that's why I say leave as is.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

My point being is the OP seems very inexperienced with cell phones let alone all the extra steps an iPhone entails. The OP also does not seem to have access to other Apple products to ie. connect to iTunes or has an apple id. A factory reset could open a whole other set of issues that can beyond the capability of the OP to overcome. If they can reboot, connect to wifi and update the iOS we can likely get them basic services (call and text) working on the iPhone. After that we can worry about data and MMS. Not knowing the history of the phone this may be the most we can hope for at the moment. A factory reset could render the phone useless for all services if a former users Apple id is required for initial set up.

@darlicious @Fahim1990 

Factory reset doesn't hurt, but if OP purchasing that iphone and the owner not remove apple id, is also showing iphone has not activated, because is locked with another carrier's by apple id,
and then no one can unlocked apply id, unless you know the original owner for them to do it.

*i hope is not purchasing for anyone and not clean apple id.

@Anonymous 

My point being is the OP seems very inexperienced with cell phones let alone all the extra steps an iPhone entails. The OP also does not seem to have access to other Apple products to ie. connect to iTunes or has an apple id. A factory reset could open a whole other set of issues that can beyond the capability of the OP to overcome. If they can reboot, connect to wifi and update the iOS we can likely get them basic services (call and text) working on the iPhone. After that we can worry about data and MMS. Not knowing the history of the phone this may be the most we can hope for at the moment. A factory reset could render the phone useless for all services if a former users Apple id is required for initial set up.

honest, look like OP has not started using the iPhone yet..so, reset to factory or not does not matter, I guess.  Won't hurt.. but probably not needed

I just not sure which part of the phone activation OP is at.  Also, sound like OP got the phone from somewhere.. not sure if it is a clean phone.

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

Don't get ahead of yourself.....suggesting a factory reset is far too premature in this situation.

So close and yet...so far 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

Don't get ahead of yourself.....suggesting a factory reset is far too premature in this situation.

@darlicious 

my first suggesting for Activated iphone if is not works then need to try factory reset, but we don't know is the SIM card is Activate or not, and the OP not have another device to test it,

@Anonymous 

Brwilson

Did you reboot the phone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fahim1990 wrote:

The medsage us iphone has not activated

@Fahim1990 

or if you can't fix it you have to do Erase all content and settings,

Erase iPhone - Apple Support (CA)

Hard Reset APPLE iPhone 6S - Factory Reset.

@Anonymous 

Your post is good. However I suspect the OP needs a little more hand holding to get thru the basics.

@Fahim1990 

Reboot your phone. Then connect to wifi. Go into your settings and look for a software update. Download the update for your phone. Then we can go from there.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fahim1990 wrote:

@Fahim1990 

What Does “Not Activated” Mean? The message “iPhone Is Not Activated” on your iPhone when it's unable to connect to your carrier's activation servers. This error could be caused by a minor software problem, an issue with your carrier's network, or a hardware problem.

Can't activate your iPhone? Here's why and how to fix it.

Fahim1990

@Fahim1990 

When you put the sim card in your phone what message do you get? Do you have access to wifi?

@Fahim1990 wrote:

How can i activate my iphone?

So, you haven't use this iPhone before?  You have an Apple account yet?

try this:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201407

Fahim1990

How can i activate my iphone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fahim1990 wrote:

It is a new number

@Fahim1990 

go sign in to Self-Serve, to review your account Statut Active or !! 

@Fahim1990 wrote:

Mine is iphone6s plus

I have no other device to test

did you phone worked on another network before? or you just got the phone from someone else and never use it yourself?

Try to plug in your iPhone to a computer and launch iTune and update the OS and make sure it update the Carrier profile and see if it works.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fahim1990 : Can you connect to a wifi and check for updates? Or connect the phone  to a computer running itunes and check for updates.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Fahim1990   Just to check did you confirm PM charged your credit card ?  

Is your phone showing No Service or SIM not provisioned?

You tried your SIM on another phone ?  Just want to rule out it is not a device issue

Also, you have another working SIM that can put in your current phone now and confirm if it works?

What brand is your phone?  

Fahim1990

It is a new number

Need Help? Let's chat.