cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving SMS messages after porting

KingAir
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, 

It's almost been 48 hours since porting my number over to PM. For the first 24 hours it was great. However, now I can't receive SMS messages. I can send them no problem. I can also send and receive calls without a problem. RCS messages also work without a problem.

I'm on Android. I signed up with an esim.

Any suggestions? I have already tried restarting my phone. 

16 REPLIES 16

SlawSlaw
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

is there still a number to call? if so, may i have it? i have the same issue,  ported from Bell, cannot receive/send sms.

ikhan

hi

can i get the number as well. I was a telus user and i ported my number over yesterday. When i text outgoing people see my old temporary public mobile number instead of my ported telephone number. I received all of the messages from Telus when i was porting my number over and said yes. The issue seems to only be happening on outgoing texts. When i receive a text it comes to my ported phone number. I have eSIM and my old Telus sim is turned off. 

Johnnywalker

Hi there! I’m new here and I also just tried to port my number from Fido to PM yesterday and my sms is still going to the old SIM. 

Would you be able to also send me the phone number to call to verify the porting status ? Would they be able to reinitiate the porting process?

Thanks 🙏 in advance for your help! 

@KingAir 

Did you reply with YES to confirm you are porting over to PM with the old SIM in your phone? 
This is the most critical part of the porting process and there is a 90 minute window for you to reply or porting will be in limbo.

If you old SIM still works then you are in limbo.

Private message a CS_Agent to resend the porting request and reply with the old SIM in your phone.

Your old SIM will continue to work for about an hour until porting is completed.

Thanks for reporting back @KingAir 

A reminder, while you can call TBayTel and ask for the porting status, DO NOT attempt to ask them to cancel the account.  Account must be active for the phone number to port.  Once number is ported, the account on TBayTel will be closed as part of the process, you do NOT need to manually close it

KingAir

That's exactly my problem. TBayTel didn't send a confirmation text message. I just got off the phone with PM/Telus support and they confirmed that TBayTel doesn't send this confirmation text and that it needs to be done manually from TBayTel's end of things. 

Public Mobile has put in a ticket and they're going to resolve things for me. Their team is going to reach out to TbayTel to have them complete the port. 

Thank you so much for the support, guys! @dust2dust @softech @Handy1 !

No, from tbaytel/Rogers. You would have needed to reply yes to it.

@KingAir  You will need to leave the rogers SIM card in phone and call number @softech  sent you and you should get a  text from rogers confirming you want to port to PM you have 90 mins to reply YES to text and then porting should be complete and put in PM SIM card 

KingAir

Yes, I got that 2FA when I first signed up. 

Did you now get a text from them asking for you to confirm? Did you do that when you first tried to port?

@KingAir 

if the sms goes to the old sim, the porting was NOT completed. 

There is a number to call to talk to live support,  they can confirm the porting status.  I will message the number to you via the Community inbox ( https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/privatenotespage ) .  Check the envelope icon on top right.  Call them and get it fixed

KingAir

I ported from a Rogers associated company (TbayTel). I just turned on my old SIM and had her try calling me and it worked. It seems when she tries to contact me it goes to my old SIM, but anyone on PM who try to contact me goes to my new esim. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@KingAir  Try resetting network settings see if it helps if not you may need support to investigate 

message support directly

while your already here and logged in the community you can send a private message   To CS_Agents click    

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@KingAir 

did you port from Rogers?

can you receive text from people outside of PM network today? like other people on Rogers/Fido/Chat or Bell/Virgin/Lucky?

KingAir

As stated, I receive incoming calls just fine and SMS from SOME friends just fine. I receive texts from my son without a problem but can't receive texts from my mother-in-law.

I was receiving 2FA texts from PM fine yesterday, but not today. My mother-in-law has texted me multiple times from a Rogers number and none of them have come through. My son, who is also on PM, texts me and they come through immediately. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@KingAir 

First, do you receive any incoming calls and regular SMS (P2P) from friends?  If so, it is good, at least the porting was completed successfully

For 2FA text or other system generated text (A2P), it is normal for them to start coming later.   Systems take longer to find out you changed provider and to route the text correctly to the new provider (Public Mobile).    Also, financial institutions (banks) or government agencies (e.g, CRA)  put this delay on purpose too to avoid SIM Fraud

Usually they will start coming around the 3rd day after porting but it could take as many as 7 days for all the 2FA/A2P text to come.  

Need Help? Let's chat.