cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service

Cherylanne
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I moved to PEI and have no cell service at my home. I live close to the water in a low lying area. Is there anything I can do to get better service. Literally my phone says No Service 99% of the time. I’m told I need to get Rogers I order to get service. Any suggestions? 

10 REPLIES 10

@Cherylanne 

I know when I was visiting my parents in Antigonish and travelling around that part of Nova Scotia my telus signal was spotty at best and when I was near the Northumberland Strait if it connected anywhere it was often a tower from PEI. If you are in a low lying area that will compound your issue. Ask your neighbour's who their provider is but Eastlink may be your best bet as that seems to be the provider of choice down east (and my parents) and they offer very competitive rates.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

You've been getting some great advice already. In PEI there are only 3 operators who build cell towers: Bell, Rogers, and Eastlink. Keep in mind that all Bell, Telus, Virgin, Koodo, PM, and Lucky customers will use Bell towers. I would start looking at the other providers to see if things are any better.

The map is the best starting point: https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?lat=46.528635&lng=-63.141861&zoom=10&type=Road...

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Cherylanne 

you can check the cell phone towers in the area on this site

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

you can purchase a cell phone booster from Amazon. you need one with bands 2(1900mhz) and 5(850mhz). if it doesn't help you can return it for a refund. but seeing as there are bell/Telus towers it should work

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cherylanne 

visit to Coverage Map Here .

or Here 

and check it out is enough Towers in your area. and public mobile network using Telus or Bell,

can you do troubleshoot your device,

Spoiler

you can try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and you can try to reset network settings and Changing APN Settings,
for iphone

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords,

or visit  Here link, 

APN Settings On An IPhone

click Here link, 

How to reset network settings on an Android device
  1. Open the Settings app on your Android.
  2. Scroll to and tap either "General management" or "System," depending on what device you have.
  3. Tap either "Reset" or "Reset options."
  4. Tap the words "Reset network settings."

or visit  Here link,

APN Settings On Android device

click Here link,

Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visit Here link,

Select the brand and model of your phone, After doing so, you will be provided with the exact APNs required for your phone on our network.

and try manually selecting network "3G ONLY" or WCDMA only,

for iPhone visit Here link 

or Here link 

for android visit Here link ,

and do Rebooting your phone ,This is quick and simple,to refreshing your network,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

try to check update your device,

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Cherylanne wrote:

I moved to PEI and have no cell service at my home. I live close to the water in a low lying area. Is there anything I can do to get better service. Literally my phone says No Service 99% of the time. I’m told I need to get Rogers I order to get service. Any suggestions? 

99% of the time means you do get Telus/Bell service in your area but signal is not strong all the time. So you need a signal booster... something like this below.

shorturl.at/kvzFZ  

If you have enough rewards with PM then it ll pay for itself and if you are planning to stay there then its better to get full signal with this. 

Long back, I was with Fido and then Rogers for over 10 years and recently switched that line to PM. 

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@Cherylanne wrote:

@Cherylanne 

If poor reception is really caused by the area conditions, you may need to buy a Cell Phone Booster to improve the service.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Cherylanne  also talk to your friends in the area to see if anyone is using Telus or Bell and see if they have similar experience. 

@Cherylanne 

Public mobile uses Telus and Bell cell towers.  Maybe in your area, the reception from Telus or Bell is poor.

You can check out the cell tower map:

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Also, check  with your neighbours.  If they are using Bell or Telus, it also should work for you.  If Rogers, then you may need to switch over.  

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Check your coverage area 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/coverage

Try rebooting your phone.  If you have another phone the try swapping the sim.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Cherylanne wrote:

@Cherylanne  hi there.

Try manually select the 3G / WCDMA ONLY network in your Mobile Connections area in your settings (temporarily), and see if that improves your service.

Can you try your SIM into another compatible phone to see if the issue persists, possibly a phone issue, but this would rule this out.

Need Help? Let's chat.