cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Unlocked Phone Not Working With Existing PM SIM

darcy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is a head scratcher for me so hopefully someone can help.

I currently have a iPhone 6 that's working fine with PM. I bought a iPhone 8 that's unlocked (I confirmed with Bell) and when I insert the SIM I don't get a popup message but I get the following:

- Public Mobile shows up in the top left but I only get 1 bar (old phone gets 5)

- Cannot make or receive calls (including Voice Mail)

I tried my wife's PM SIM and had the same issue. Any ideas? @Moderator 

11 REPLIES 11

darcy

Ok I’ll try a Windows computer to get access to iTunes I guess. Ironic 🙂

I have a MacBook and in an update iTunes got rolled into the Music app. Inside I was able to see and sync my phone just like iTunes. 

Shouldn’t I be prompted for any carrier updates once I put the SIM in my new phone?

@darcy wrote:

Connect to iTunes (or Music as it’s now called) and no carrier updates. 

Tried a Bell SIM card and was able to make calls so it is an issue with the Public SIM (which works fine in my old iPhone 6). I did confirm with Bell that the iPhone 8 is unlocked. 

Any ideas?

Did you mean connected your phone to Music/iTunes? If so, that is not the suggestion. You should try connecting your phone to a computer that has iTunes installed, and following the directions.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

darcy

Connect to iTunes (or Music as it’s now called) and no carrier updates. 

Tried a Bell SIM card and was able to make calls so it is an issue with the Public SIM (which works fine in my old iPhone 6). I did confirm with Bell that the iPhone 8 is unlocked. 

Any ideas?

@darcy wrote:

This is a head scratcher for me so hopefully someone can help.

I currently have a iPhone 6 that's working fine with PM. I bought a iPhone 8 that's unlocked (I confirmed with Bell) and when I insert the SIM I don't get a popup message but I get the following:

- Public Mobile shows up in the top left but I only get 1 bar (old phone gets 5)

- Cannot make or receive calls (including Voice Mail)

I tried my wife's PM SIM and had the same issue. Any ideas? @Moderator 

I'm sure that general questions are welcomed by the moderators, but since your Public Mobile SIM card is working in a different phone (and another known working Public SIM also doesnt' work in this new phone), this is an issue with the specific device. Except for checking if a device's IMEI is being blocked from accessing the network, there isn't anything that Public Mobile could fix on the account side of things. The best moderators could do would be able to do would be to provide advice. 

darcy

I installed latest iOS update via the phone, reset and still the same. Will try iTunes when I get home or just bring it to a phone repair place to take a look. I’m thinking it’s hardware. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks so much 🙏 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@darcy  Can you connect it with the wire to a computer and open up iTunes to see if it pushes any updates to the phone? Like a carrier update or iOS update. Update all if it does push something.

To comment on how /why things get blacklisted. Some reasons are sellers from FB marketplace / Kijiji etc are plain old fraudsters. It was actually on the news a while back.

Some basically sell their current phone as they want to get a new one. The person buys it. Looks good for a few days, it's working etc. Then the seller calls their phone company and reports it lost or stolen. Phone company blacklists the phone so it can't be used any longer, the seller gets a new phone (be it by their extra insurance they paid or by just ordering a new one) and the buyer is stuck with an expensive MP3 player.

Let us know how it goes after connecting phone to computer.

Other reasons you have low bars,etc could be that the phone itself has issues. Maybe a malfunction antenna or something and the seller did not tell you about it and just wanted to get rid of it.

Keep us posted!

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darcy  To confirm an unlock, sync to itunes:

1. Insert new working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)
    2. Connect to computer with USB cable
    3. Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run
    4. iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates
    5. Install the carrier profile update (if offered)
    6. Disconnect and reboot

Install any carrier updates if offered 

darcy

Checked and IME is good. Did hard reset and still no luck either. Very weird

@darcy 

You can check via this website:

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Sometimes, the phone gets lost/stolen and then gets blacklisted. Service provide can  black list phone for various reasons.  Occasionally, the original owner will sell and then blacklist afterwards.  

darcy

FB Marketplace locally. How/why does it get blacklisted? Any way to know before we buy?

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@darcy 

Maybe try to reboot phone.  Network reset of phone.  Your PM Service should be fine, but the setup of the newer iphone is the issue.  

BTW, where did you buy this iphone 8?  kijiji? or from a store?  Occasionally, if bought 2nd hand, the phone may get blacklisted.  

Need Help? Let's chat.