cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Phones that Support VoLTE

JaY_III
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The list of phones that support VoLTE is 2 years old.   How can I find a current method to know if a phone will work or not?    When looking at Samsung "A series" phones for example I see some listed as Canadian and others international versions.   Both look to have the same bands and both say they support VoLTE but will they?

My OnePlus phones for example also support VoLTE on paper, but in Canada they never have.   Pop a T-Mobile SIM in the phone and it all works perfectly w/ VoLTE.

This lack of clarity is making getting a new phone much harder than I would like.   Also the just go buy a 2K flagship to make things work is also not a great solution.  I am trying to get a reasonably priced mid ranger for one of my daughters and would like the phone to work out of the box.

16 REPLIES 16

JaY_III

Just an Update as i have been upgrading phones on my accounts:
Google Pixel 8                       -> Works !
Samsung A35 SM-A356W   -> Works !

Both phones connect to 5G without issues directly out of the Box.
When placing a call they both stay on 5G and do not fall back to 3G like other phones.

JaY_III

Thanks for all who answered,  but at this point, i think the answer is clear.
We have no way to know what will or wont work.  Its all trial an error with sim swapping and  testing for yourself.
Not the answer I was hoping to get, but it seems to be what it is.

maurelle
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@JaY_III wrote:

reasonable price for a childs phone i would say is about $350.
OnePlus N30 is 300
Samsung A15 is 200 / 265 (once again, will the international verson work? its much cheaper and has the same band support)
Samsung A35 is closer to 500 and i would prefer to stay under that
Moto G 2024 $250
None of the listed phone are 100% confirmed to work with VoLTE.

So I ask again
How can I find a current method to know if a phone will work or not?

I can confirm that OnePlus Nord 3 is blocked from using VoLTE on Public Mobile.

If I remember I'll report back in a couple of days on the Moto G Play 2024. A friend just got it, but they are not using PM anymore, so will have to go over and try my SIM.

@JaY_III  How can I find a current method to know if a phone will work or not?

Find a family member or friend (or a store?) with a phone you are interested in and who will let you play with their phone, replace their sim with your PM sim, turn on cellular data, turn off wifi, make a phone call.  If it stays on LTE during the call you have VoLTE, if it drops to 3G you don't.  

I'm guessing you want it to be a VoLTE phone because you travel to the USA? 

@JaY_III if phone for kids, get Samsung A1x series or Moto

I wouldn't care VoLTE for now. PM not going to stop 3G for voice any time soon. And by the time they are stopping 3G voice, pretty sure most VoLTE phones will be whitelisted

JaY_III

reasonable price for a childs phone i would say is about $350.
OnePlus N30 is 300
Samsung A15 is 200 / 265 (once again, will the international verson work? its much cheaper and has the same band support)
Samsung A35 is closer to 500 and i would prefer to stay under that
Moto G 2024 $250
None of the listed phone are 100% confirmed to work with VoLTE.

So I ask again
How can I find a current method to know if a phone will work or not?

@JaY_III the A55 will come to Canada , just need another month or so

Would you consider the S23FE??

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

The Pixel A series definitely have gotten up there in price. They do have sales though. We picked up some 6A's a little over a year about for $399. You won't get that pricing when they're brand new, but they do come along.

@JaY_III   What would you consider a reasonable price range?

JaY_III

The only Samsung "A series"  listed is the A53.  and Samsung no longer sells the A5x series in Canada.
So that leaves the A35 (no prior version on the list) or the A15, also no prior version on the list.  But what about the ones listed as "Canadian" vs "international" models?

The Motos also have a similar problem.  The ones listed as a "Canadian" variant are all cut down from the "international"  versions and cost more for less.   So no idea what will work or not still.

The Pixel As are still too much money for a kids phone IMHO.

So where does that leave me?   As as what all have suggested so far, its spend more or gamble if it will work

@Meow  I had that happen with another (Tier 1) carrier where the phone was capable of VoLTE but not supported.  The carrier said it was a manufacturer issue, the manufacturer said it was a carrier issue.  I gave up trying to get it working in the end.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Your phone might support VoLTE (same as mine) but PM did not 'activate' it (or whatever) so that option is not available to me and that might be the same with your phone.

@JaY_III  Would $579 be mid-range, that's what Apple is selling a new iPhone SE for currently.  All iPhones from 8 up get VoLTE on PM. 

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @JaY_III 

Public Mobile is sadly known in the communication world for their lack of communication. LOL. A lot of information on this website is outdated and obsolete. Keeping up with the times, not exactly their strong point.

Best advice I could give, stick with the brand names. Google, iPhone, Samsung, Motorola. Stay away from the Chinese aftermarket type phones.

That's always been my assumption too. All the new iPhone's work, and every new Pixel (A or regular version) that I've gotten has worked too.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@JaY_III   The list doesn't seem to get updated but it's assumed that newer versions of what's already listed would get VoLTE.  Non-VoLTE phones will still work in Canada since we still have 3G, unlike in the USA where voice calls are an issue without VoLTE.  There are some Moto G phones on the list, I used to have a Moto G years ago and loved it.

Need Help? Let's chat.