cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help! New ....Couldn't port my number over and still paying for my old service, plse assist!!!

Jeay
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I tried to port my number over from Telus Mobility to PM but was not able.  I still have my old account active with Telus but I don't want this new number, or to be paying for both services.  I want my old number please, which is why I waited the full week for this SIM card while not disconnecting with Telus mobility.  Also, when trying to activate my new account on here... after paying, I put the new PM SIM into my "2nd SIM slot".  Now it seems that Telus is no longer active for some reason... and neither is PM at the moment.  The message I kept receiving when trying to port my number over was that it was not a Canadian phone number, which it is.  I had this same phone, same number on with PM until December 2021.  I got talked into bundling my home and mobility together to Telus which was a terrible mistake.  My account over there is paid in full and I'd like to have it disconnected asap and get my original number ported back over here pleeeeeze!

19 REPLIES 19

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Luddite 

I am sorry but I have to disagree with your choice of solution. No offense to @softech  but his reply contains incorrect info about porting from telus prepaid which was corrected later in the thread by @computergeek541 . Did you read you the entire thread?

To contact customer support :

Submit a support ticket via Simple--Simon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you prefer or cannot submit a support ticket you may send a private message : Click here 

To pre-verify add in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # & 4 digit account pin #

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Jeay 

Just keep an eye out for their reply. Once they fix your sim card they can reinitiate your port request for you. You reply YES. Your port will complete in minutes.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Jeay

Thank you for that good info!  I've sent a private message as you suggested.  Appreciate you help 😁

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Jeay 

You must contact customer support via Simple--Simon the chat bot or private message. The sim card will not fix itself.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Jeay

Thank you for your message.  Unfortunately, the PM SIM card is not yet working.  Guess I'll just wait and see what happens.  Been a few hrs. now.

@Jeay wrote:

The number you gave me just bumps me over into Telus.

@Jeay   Telus owns PM so it is the SAME porting team.  Call again and tell them you are porting into PM and they can help to confirm if porting completed

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Jeay 

As with my previous post you need to contact customer support to provision your pm sim card to your account. That's why it's not working. It doesn't know which account it's supposed to be communicating with to tell your phone how to connect. Follow my instructions above.

Edit:

Telus owns public mobile so ports go thru it's department but they cannot help you with your pm account issues.

Jeay

The number you gave me just bumps me over into Telus.

Jeay

Unfortunately, the PM SIM card is still not working so I can't continue on with changing/porting to my original phone number.  I tried to call the number that "Meow" gave me but it was pushing me through to Telus instead of Public Mobile.  It's been over 2 hrs since I paid for the activation on PM but still......nothing.  Wondering if the SIM card is faulty or something.

@Jeay wrote:

The PM SIM is still not working.  Only the Telus mobility SIM is working.  It has been over 2 hrs.  Is there something wrong with the PM SIM card?  I tried to phone you on the number you gave me but when I tried to get to an agent, it wanted to call me back.  An agent did call me back but it was someone from TELUS... not PM?  I retried but the same thing happened.  Anyhow, I'm thinking that there is something wrong with the PM SIM card.  Any suggestions?

The people at the porting department can't fix this.  it would actually be an extremely bad thing if they completed the port for you.  When your Public Mobiel service isn't working at all, the last thing that you want is for the number transfer to complete as that would have meant that you would have temporarily lost access to your phone number. The fact that you get no Public Mobile service at all isn't a number porting issue.  Only a Public Mobile CSA can fix this.  The issue with the Public mobile account must be fixed first before the number porting is sorted out.

Jeay

The PM SIM is still not working.  Only the Telus mobility SIM is working.  It has been over 2 hrs.  Is there something wrong with the PM SIM card?  I tried to phone you on the number you gave me but when I tried to get to an agent, it wanted to call me back.  An agent did call me back but it was someone from TELUS... not PM?  I retried but the same thing happened.  Anyhow, I'm thinking that there is something wrong with the PM SIM card.  Any suggestions?

Thanks @computergeek541   I read it wrong 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Jeay 

You activated with a new number because the porting page gave you error messages during activation? Do you have service on your pm sim card? It doesn't sound like you do...?

Your telus SIM card does not have service on it now either? Log into your telus account and check if you have active service. It's ok if you don't we just need to know either way.

If you have no working service on your pm sim card then you need to get it fixed first. It likely did not provision correctly upon activation. Contact customer support and put "SIM card did not provision correctly upon activation" in the subject line and leave a detailed message explaining the issue. 

Keep an eye on the envelope icon next to your avatar at the top right corner of your screen for a little number to pop up indicating a reply from a CSA. Responding promptly will speed up service times but expect a reply within an hour.

If your telus mobile account is suspended you can still port your number in just explain to the CSA the current account status because you will be unable to reply YES to the PAT (porting authorization text) sent to the telus sim card. The CSA will advise you in this regard. If the telus sim card is working and its service active then the CSA can reinitiate the port request and you can reply YES to the PAT.

The telus porting department cannot help you until you sort out service on your pm sim card. They can help if your port gets stuck.....if it does not complete within 20 to 30 minutes then call them. Otherwise you should expect your port to complete within 5 minutes of replying YES to the PAT.

@softech wrote:

@Jeay   if it is a Prepaid service with Telus and you want to port the current number with that Telus account,  you are supposed to pick a temporary number first and then open a ticket with PM Support  to have them manually port the number.   

So, once the account is opened with the new temp. new number and working without issue, open a ticket with PM Support:

1. If you have access to My account: Click on the bubble on the lower right or https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you don't have access to My Account or have trouble with Chatbot: Private message CS Agent at: 

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply you there

In this case, yes, Jeay wil need to open a ticket to get this all fixed. However, opening a ticket to port a prepaid number from Telus Mobility isn't the norm.  Porting from Telus Mobility prepaid can be done from the Self Serve account.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

As I said: open PM account; get any number. Your old number will not go away as long as Telus service is active. When you see that PM service is running as expected, initiate transfer number. Both services HAVE to be active for porting to succeed. Do not close Telus account or you might lose your number even though it is the same company.

Do not panic! Call number I sent you if you need to talk to live person regarding PORTing only!

@Jeay   if it is a Prepaid service with Telus and you want to port the current number with that Telus account,  you are supposed to pick a temporary number first and then open a ticket with PM Support  to have them manually port the number.   

So, once the account is opened with the new temp. new number and working without issue, open a ticket with PM Support:

1. If you have access to My account: Click on the bubble on the lower right or https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you don't have access to My Account or have trouble with Chatbot: Private message CS Agent at: 

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply you there

Jeay

Hi, thx for your reply!  My Telus Mobility account is on a month to month service with no contract.

I tried to submit my number for porting over while activating my SIM card but it would not accept my phone number and said it was "not a Canadian Number"... which it is.  To get to the next step of paying and activating my PM SIM, I had to take a different phone number, which I do not want.  I want my old number and am still paying Telus Mobility until I can get the porting done as that was my understanding that I needed to keep my old acct. active.  So, how do I go about getting my number and cancelling Telus?

Meow
Mayor / Maire

If you created PM account and activated PM SIM, you should have assigned or selected new number.

Use only one SIM slot in your phone. Do not mix up SIMs.

Then after confirming PM services work as expected, go to Change number

Meow_0-1651179996831.png

and do transfer number

Meow_1-1651179717661.png

Keep only Telus number in your phone. You should receive SMS from Telus asking you to authorize porting. Reply Yes within 90 minutes. Porting should be completed very within 1h or sooner.

After replying Yes, remove Telus, put PM into phone. Test services after 1h or so.

If everything fails, call number I sent you. This is ONLY for porting issues.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Jeay  May I confirm on two things

1. Is your Telus a Postpaid account or Prepaid Account

2. Did you already submit request to port your Telus number? or you are pretty much asking HOW to start this process?   

If you have started the process, did you request to port the number when you activate your PM account?  or you got a new  number when you activated, and you request "Change Number" from Self-serve My Account?

Need Help? Let's chat.